You're supposed to suck at first, right?

Beefy McGee

That works for the sim pretty well.

But go arounds happen so infrequently in the plane that when you do your first one in 9 months, it's going to come out something like, "Go around, max *I don't have the education to emote without using a curse word*, flaps!"
That’s been true of every go around in the real world. Other things tend to happen like dodging a bird/plane/weather or an ATC instruction that totally throws off the go around flow.

PM “Go around!”
PF “Set thrust! Flaps 8”
PM “Watch out for those geese!”
PF “Flaps 8”
ATC “Make immediate right turn for traffic”
PF “FLAPS 8!”
PM “Make right turn””Hey watch your flap speed”
PF “F it I’ll get the flaps myself”

etc

A150K

Like Rico’s boot camp in Starship Troopers: It was as hard as it needed to be, and on purpose.

I found it ironic our former employer sent “less qualified” applicants to the EM2.
AMF sent me to the PA31 instead of the BE99 when I was hired there in 2015 because of my low multi time....ended up having to use my "multi" engine pilot skills twice in that airplane...but never once in the 99. Figures.

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
That’s been true of every go around in the real world. Other things tend to happen like dodging a bird/plane/weather or an ATC instruction that totally throws off the go around flow.

PM “Go around!”
PF “Set thrust! Flaps 8”
PM “Watch out for those geese!”
PF “Flaps 8”
ATC “Make immediate right turn for traffic”
PF “FLAPS 8!”
PM “Make right turn””Hey watch your flap speed”
PF “F it I’ll get the flaps myself”

etc
All engines operating, gear down, and in the landing configuration, the airplane is supposed to be able to climb at Vapp and go-around thrust. Just not to the normal missed gradient.

So perhaps we have the wrong set of priorities. Cram and climb, if you do nothing else, reconfigure as appropriate, but keep the airplane under control.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
AMF sent me to the PA31 instead of the BE99 when I was hired there in 2015 because of my low multi time....ended up having to use my "multi" engine pilot skills twice in that airplane...but never once in the 99. Figures.
I miss my Ho so much. The Pilatus is an objectively better airplane in nearly every respect, but dang is it not an enjoyable airplane to fly.

I miss my Ho so much. The Pilatus is an objectively better airplane in nearly every respect, but dang is it not an enjoyable airplane to fly.
I’m so happy not to have fly the PA31 anymore.
Heater failing all the time, horrendous gear and flaps speeds when descending over the mountains for a visual approach, super sensitive fuel pumps, horrible cg issues.

Give me 2 big sixes, any day.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I’m so happy not to have fly the PA31 anymore.
Heater failing all the time, horrendous gear and flaps speeds when descending over the mountains for a visual approach, super sensitive fuel pumps, horrible cg issues.

Give me 2 big sixes, any day.
I can only conclude that a) the Airbus has well and truly scrambled your brain or b) we’re not even talking about the same airplane.

BigZ

Actaully time to learn his real job, get the Capt coffee.
I'm the best coffee maker ever! Haha.
Guys, you are projecting.
Don't know how things are at Air Willy, but severely doubt that they are anywhere close to that. It's the 2018, FOs get to be treated nicely (for the time being) because the CAs got dragged through the mud and hence the pilot shortage and all that.

I can only conclude that a) the Airbus has well and truly scrambled your brain or b) we’re not even talking about the same airplane.
I’ve found the dream my friend. Comparing the bus to the ho, is beyond apples and oranges.

However, cabin class twins, give me a ho any day over a 4 series Cessna. I’ll give you that.
I wish I found a job flying the 180. That is an enjoyable plane to fly!

I love taking folks up for their first ride in it. I ask (bet) them where they think I can be airborne. They’re always amazed.

Stone Cold

Guys, you are projecting.
Don't know how things are at Air Willy, but severely doubt that they are anywhere close to that. It's the 2018, FOs get to be treated nicely (for the time being) because the CAs got dragged through the mud and hence the pilot shortage and all that.
I am a professional coffee maker, and get paid to fly in pj's. I even get a landing every once in a while. I'm happy with life. Ymmv. :biggrin:

20181128_110627.jpg