You're supposed to suck at first, right?

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
Hell I got sick of doing IT for 10 years...figured it was time to go all in.
Right, no i did that already, it still says it wont print.

Hit the printer test button? That doesn't work either, the screen doesnt say anything either. The cord? No man i checked that- wait a minute, wrong cord. Oh hey the whole time that power cord was out. Jeesh. *Hangs up and tells everyone in office I fixed it and we don't need IT guys*

That works for the sim pretty well.

But go arounds happen so infrequently in the plane that when you do your first one in 9 months, it's going to come out something like, "Go around, max *I don't have the education to emote without using a curse word*, flaps!"
Flaps over speed. Flaps over speed.

texas_pilot

Me: nope, you’re sh*tty, if you can’t circumnavigate a thunderstorm, single engine with smoke on the cockpit AND someone in the lav BY day 2, just call it a career.

Also me: nope you’re just fine. You’re having a lot of crap thrown at you in a totally new environment, this knowledge gain isn’t linear.

keep on keeping on!
Fire hose?

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, I've been good all my career. Suck it up, buttercup, and do better.

:bounce::biggrin::p

Or, just ring the bell. And all the pain will magically go away....you'll get a nice cold beer, hot meal, and not have to deal with any of that stress anymore......

Spell it.....D.O.R.

:)

Jordan93

The V1 cut is a VERY slow maneuver. You have all the time in the world once you get it off the ground. My sim instructor demonstrated there was about 30 seconds of not doing anything. No call outs, no configuration changes, no moving switches. Take your time.

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
The V1 cut is a VERY slow maneuver. You have all the time in the world once you get it off the ground. My sim instructor demonstrated there was about 30 seconds of not doing anything. No call outs, no configuration changes, no moving switches. Take your time.
V1 cuts today were solid. Issue was over controlling during a single engine missed. Just led the power increase too much with the rudder and over controlled a bit. That said my new instructor said it's nothing he hasn't seen before and we're all done with the box checking, so the next 2 days are all prep and polish, so we're going to hit it hard and clean it up. Other than that he's pretty happy. He's got confidence in me, so I'm just trying to trust the process.

BigZ

V1 cuts today were solid. Issue was over controlling during a single engine missed. Just led the power increase too much with the rudder and over controlled a bit. That said my new instructor said it's nothing he hasn't seen before and we're all done with the box checking, so the next 2 days are all prep and polish, so we're going to hit it hard and clean it up. Other than that he's pretty happy. He's got confidence in me, so I'm just trying to trust the process.
Unless your crj is somehow magically different from my long, beautiful and powerful crj, single engine stuff is time to relax and do everything gently. We exchange the controls to brief the approach for chrissakes, it's not one of them engines-under-the-wing whatchamacallits.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Unless your crj is somehow magically different from my long, beautiful and powerful crj, single engine stuff is time to relax and do everything gently. We exchange the controls to brief the approach for chrissakes, it's not one of them engines-under-the-wing whatchamacallits.
V1 cuts are still pretty mellow in the EMB-170 and the A320.

BigZ

My all time favorite was Embraer Phenom. It has a SLuRB - spring loaded rudder boost. When it senses a thrust differential, it hydraulically loads a spring, which it will then fire into, and keep pushing, the first rudder pedal you touch. No way to reset it that I'm aware of without symmetric thrust, so you better touch the correct pedal.
Someone told me the 145s are busy on one engine, but no first hand experience.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Same same in the Classic 737s.....a single CFM56 still has lots of power. In the Jurassic......a single JT8 is often a handful of work trying to climb out......6,000 lbs less thrust than a CFM.

jtrain609

My all time favorite was Embraer Phenom. It has a SLuRB - spring loaded rudder boost. When it senses a thrust differential, it hydraulically loads a spring, which it will then fire into, and keep pushing, the first rudder pedal you touch. No way to reset it that I'm aware of without symmetric thrust, so you better touch the correct pedal.
Someone told me the 145s are busy on one engine, but no first hand experience.
The worst thing about the 145 was how XJT teaches V1 cuts, forcing guys to rotate AT Vr no matter what. When V1 and Vr are coincident, it can get spicey quickly if you don't nail the proper amount of rudder pressure.

The plane itself does fine if you leave the nosewheel on the ground long enough to figure out directional control.

GypsyPilot

The worst thing about the 145 was how XJT teaches V1 cuts, forcing guys to rotate AT Vr no matter what. When V1 and Vr are coincident, it can get spicey quickly if you don't nail the proper amount of rudder pressure.

The plane itself does fine if you leave the nosewheel on the ground long enough to figure out directional control.
This really is key here to making V1 cuts not a big deal. Pulling at Vr before you’re ready is just asking for big problems.

jtrain609

This really is key here to making V1 cuts not a big deal. Pulling at Vr before you’re ready is just asking for big problems.
Yeah, someone at XJT got it in their heads that if you don't rotate AT Vr you won't be at 35' by the end of the runway and then you'll hit something and die.

Personally I've always been more concerned with not turning into a cartwheeling fireball while still on the runway, but what would I know.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Or, just ring the bell. And all the pain will magically go away....you'll get a nice cold beer, hot meal, and not have to deal with any of that stress anymore......

Spell it.....D.O.R.

You're a cruel, cruel little man.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
Yeah, someone at XJT got it in their heads that if you don't rotate AT Vr you won't be at 35' by the end of the runway and then you'll hit something and die.

Personally I've always been more concerned with not turning into a cartwheeling fireball while still on the runway, but what would I know.
My sim partner during dash-erj transition had that issue, this plane likes to roll if you yank it without the right amount of rudder. Instructor basically told him to smoothly put the rudder in til it feels right then rotate, and had me call the RA crossing the runway end to demonstrate it'd be ok. I don't think it was ever below 100' even during the first attempt.