You're supposed to suck at first, right?

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
:Status Update:

Doing better. A new sim instructor for the current 3 day segment, some different perspectives on things seems to have helped. I went from nary able to find the centerline with 0 wind and 2 engines to a single engine with a 20 knot crosswind onto a fairly respectable point on or near the centerline and in the touchdown zone. Just a few procedural items that keep creeping up such as automation calls when it's all buttholes and elbows on go arounds or missed approaches. Getting there though. Thanks for all the feedback.
Sounds like you're checkride ready.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
:Status Update:

Doing better. A new sim instructor for the current 3 day segment, some different perspectives on things seems to have helped. I went from nary able to find the centerline with 0 wind and 2 engines to a single engine with a 20 knot crosswind onto a fairly respectable point on or near the centerline and in the touchdown zone. Just a few procedural items that keep creeping up such as automation calls when it's all buttholes and elbows on go arounds or missed approaches. Getting there though. Thanks for all the feedback.
Depending on the instructor, you may get great actual flying advice or zero actual flying advice.

I worry when all I hear is "that's great," because
- it probably wasn't that great, and
- can we get a little improvement, even if it is great? thx. Never perfect.

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
Aaaand today was an operational clustercluck. Apparently I forgot all my go around / transition calls...that made for a fun sim session. Oh well, always humble, driving forward. 2 days off, then 3 days of sims to polish, then hopefully LOFT, then the ride on Sunday.

etflies

Keeping calm, Chiving on.
Aaaand today was an operational clustercluck. Apparently I forgot all my go around / transition calls...that made for a fun sim session. Oh well, always humble, driving forward. 2 days off, then 3 days of sims to polish, then hopefully LOFT, then the ride on Sunday.
It's ok, it happens to everyone. Take a day off, do something not study/airplane related then hit the books again until you can do the callouts down cold.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
Are you writing any of these profiles out on paper like bart simpson at the chalk board. Im a little worried you're not getting the memorization cemented in your brain. You need to find different means of memorization immediately.

Flash cards.
Say the profiles with the recorder on your phone and play it back in your ears all day but especially right before bed and right as you wake up. Each profile. Either say PM or PF or use different voices for other seat duties.

Look at the sim session in your syllabus for the next sim session. Run each thing on the SIM session for manuevers, then do it again. Then do it again. You're going to need to drill down on this.

Meantime have a beer. Then to work. Hard.

BigZ

Are you writing any of these profiles out on paper like bart simpson at the chalk board. Im a little worried you're not getting the memorization cemented in your brain. You need to find different means of memorization immediately.

Flash cards.
Say the profiles with the recorder on your phone and play it back in your ears all day but especially right before bed and right as you wake up. Each profile. Either say PM or PF or use different voices for other seat duties.

Look at the sim session in your syllabus for the next sim session. Run each thing on the SIM session for manuevers, then do it again. Then do it again. You're going to need to drill down on this.

Meantime have a beer. Then to work. Hard.
And find out what works for you personally.
I'd join my study group for 30 mins, then leave for 2-3 hrs while they were still drilling the limitations, come back, fly the tiger together for 20-30 minutes, leave for couple hrs, come back, remind them of the importance of sleep.
For me extra repetitive studying is bad, knowledge starts getting fragmented and is harder to pull from the memory, so I avoid it. I do make sure I understand how it works and why we do it the way we do it, to me that's worth weeks of repetition, but everyone is different.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
I'd join my study group for 30 mins, then leave for 2-3 hrs while they were still drilling the limitations, come back, fly the tiger together for 20-30 minutes, leave for couple hrs, come back, remind them of the importance of sleep.
For me extra repetitive studying is bad, knowledge starts getting fragmented and is harder to pull from the memory, so I avoid it. I do make sure I understand how it works and why we do it the way we do it, to me that's worth weeks of repetition, but everyone is different.
@ozziecat35 i agree with the above. Whatever you do 1 get sleep, 2 switch up whatever ur doing for memorization, try anything above and get it right.

n57flyguy

I have found that too be true, for me personally. Sometimes I have to walk away from group sessions to forget about things for a bit then come back to it. Or even more usual, I will do alot of studying/practice on my own then come to a group for a bit and fill in my weak spots. Maybe I misread or mis interpreted things. Maybe I'll be asking questions. Maybe I'll be explaining stuff.

To the OP, best advice I can give is relax. You have to find a way to relax. Nearly back to day one "fly with your finger tips." Exercise and meditate if that works for you.

web265

Flash cards.
This worked for me, added bouncing a ball off the hotel room wall while doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Plenty of time to get it right. PLENTY.

ozziecat35

Checking in @ozziecat35 . Hows that memorization going?

Bag one at V1, every thing you and ur par'dner says up to 3k ft
Oh it’s memorized. Again the issue is that I just start rushing things and get ahead of myself. Off yesterday and today, so I’ve been reviewing systems, memory items and limitations for the oral. Next sim is tomorrow.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
Oh it’s memorized. Again the issue is that I just start rushing things and get ahead of myself. Off yesterday and today, so I’ve been reviewing systems, memory items and limitations for the oral. Next sim is tomorrow.
This might be worthless but i was super ninja hands when I started. An instructor, who later turned out to be a giant fraud and wackjob, told me to "let the engine burn, its good for it, burns off all that carbon". For whatever reason, that joke helped me set the pace on every emergency afterwards.

Let the world burn for a second, get your head on straight and nuts screwed on tight, and see if that helps.

ozziecat35

This might be worthless but i was super ninja hands when I started. An instructor, who later turned out to be a giant fraud and wackjob, told me to "let the engine burn, its good for it, burns off all that carbon". For whatever reason, that joke helped me set the pace on every emergency afterwards.

Let the world burn for a second, get your head on straight and nuts screwed on tight, and see if that helps.
Yeah, I’ve started working off of the “Take a deep breath and have a sip of coffee mentality”

I think I have a plan moving forward. The issue has been on missed approaches or balked landings. I was getting so focused on landing, I kind of threw those profiles out of my ready access memory. Just gonna start treating every 500 foot to minimums call as a “get ready to go around prep.”

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Yeah, I’ve started working off of the “Take a deep breath and have a sip of coffee mentality”

I think I have a plan moving forward. The issue has been on missed approaches or balked landings. I was getting so focused on landing, I kind of threw those profiles out of my ready access memory. Just gonna start treating every 500 foot to minimums call as a “get ready to go around prep.”
That works for the sim pretty well.

But go arounds happen so infrequently in the plane that when you do your first one in 9 months, it's going to come out something like, "Go around, max •, • flaps!"

Champcar

Sim day 2, so I think I'm just being a bit harsh on myself, but you're supposed to suck at this point in the box in new hire training right? Behind the airplane, lost SA on an approach (called a go around so no red screens...which is good I guess), essentially just some boneheaded items that I thought I was ok with. Steep turns were on point though, so I'll call that a win.

/end vent.
I tried telling you that you sucked at this flying thing 11 years ago.....didn't listen and now look what you got your self into :)