1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW Air - Iceland

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by racemey, Apr 19, 2017.

1. racemey

racemey Well-Known Member

Curious if anyone has had any experience with this budget airline out of Iceland. Thinking of taking the family there this summer and they have a convenient nonstop from SFO. Aside from the reliability concerns with having a small fleet, any safety concerns? Thanks!

2. AAPalmTree

AAPalmTree Well-Known Member

Why don't you support one of the airlines in this country?

3. Skåning

Skåning Well-Known Member

All I know is that they killed some runway lights and one of their airplanes is GAY

Adler and JordanD like this.
  4. mikecweb

mikecweb Third Generation Arizonan

I only know about this airline because of @ChasenSFO's snapchat.

*this not an endorsement of @ChasenSFO's Snapchat. In fact I encourage you not to follow him unless you're into that kinda thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Adler, ChasenSFO and Roger Roger like this.
  5. mikecweb

mikecweb Third Generation Arizonan

Or take Iceland Air

6. racemey

Believe me, that is always my preference. My wife hates flying and the only reason I was looking at this option was to have her in the air as little as possible. A New York stopover may be a fun option as well.

AAPalmTree likes this.
  7. Cazadores

Cazadores Well-Known Member

If your wife hates flying I would suggest finding an airline that doesn't pack 340 some odd seats into an A330 that are a full inch narrower than the seats found on the equivalent US legacy service class and jet.

I also find breaking up a trip, for those who don't prefer flying, makes it more enjoyable. Many airports have easy access to public transport, stop in Minneapolis, Boston or Chicago, take the short light rail ride into town, have a nice night out and take the next flight to Reykjavik in the morning. Seems to work well for those I travel with who don't like to fly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Cherokee_Cruiser

Cherokee_Cruiser Well-Known Member

Because WOW is cheaper. That's usually almost always the answer. That's the problem with nearly all Americans. We want to "buy American" but the reality is when something else is cheaper, most people will take that other cheaper option.

I like the whole ALPA thing against Norwegian system's shady operation setup to offer low fares, but after searching many fares online to Europe, I have consistently found WOW Air to be cheaper than Norwegian. But I guess WOW is a legitimate operation based and operated by Icelandic rules so it's fair game.

cmhumphr likes this.
  9. AAPalmTree

AAPalmTree Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone drives a Hyundai.

10. racemey

Cost is not the factor here - I much prefer to support us carriers and will gladly pay extra for that peace of mind and to support our business, but saw the nonstop which would be more convenient from sfo so I thought I'd ask. I appreciate the replies. The stopover option on a us legacy or Iceland Air sound like a better option. All the extras wow charges for end up making the ticket cost close to the same anyway.

11. racemey

I flew to Japan last month and could have paid way less on an Asian carrier but chose to pay the extra $$$ for United. Worth it even though they stranded me in sfo and had to take the train back to smf. Loved the trip home on the 787

AAPalmTree likes this.
  12. ChasenSFO

ChasenSFO hen teaser

When things go well, they go well, and the flights are ontime or early.

When things go poorly, you end up misconnecting in Iceland on the way home, and all the flights are full the next few days because the $400 roundtrip tickets from SFO-KEF-AMS-KEF-SFO and the like keep the seats full. So you're either rebooked for whatever random day down the line you can be squeezed onto a flight along with all your fellow pax, or you're refunded what is left in the final segment of this 4-leg $400 roundtrip ticket and left to fend for yourself. But if the local hotels sell out, you may end up in some cool WWII baracks for the night.

And that is where the key difference is between a ULCC like Norweigan and WOW and a legacy airline like Delta or United. If you get screwed on a regular airline, they have interline agreements with other carriers and a lot of resources at their disposal to get you to your destination. If you get screwed on a ULCC longhaul flight, they usually operate with very high load factors, with much tighter aircraft utilization, and only serve most routes a few days per week. But that is the gamble one takes when choosing these operations over a traditional carrier. If you travel non-stop, things are much less likely to go catastrophically wrong, but connect at your own risk.

As for WOW themselves, I have to be honest, they have improved tremendously. I could write a book about the launch of their A330 long haul flights, and people would want to read it. But in the last several months, they've vastly improved.

Still, check out these Yelp reviews if you want a laugh:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/wow-air-san-francisco?osq=Wow+Air

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Adler, Der rote Baron and racemey like this.
  13. Murdoughnut

Murdoughnut Well sized member

B6 has an interline agreement with Iceland Air.

racemey likes this.
  14. FlyingAccountant

FlyingAccountant Well-Known Member

That, and modern legacy transatlantic economy isn't much better. 10 abreast in an AA 777? GTFO.

15. ChasenSFO

ChasenSFO hen teaser

Again, everyone always thinks price/comfort...not "gee, what if I misconnect". I thought all airline employees expected everything to go wrong when they travel from seeing it day in and day out.:)

Der rote Baron and racemey like this.
  16. RickJames

RickJames Impressive Member

[​IMG]

z987k, Skåning and racemey like this.
  17. racemey

Thanks @ChasenSFO - great info!

ChasenSFO likes this.
  18. racemey

Ha! I guess I walked into that one

19. Constellation

Constellation Well-Known Member

I flew on WOW from Boston to Reykjavik in January with some friends for a vacation (they were definitely looking for the cheapest option). The round trip ticket was just over $300 with baggage fees included.

The A330 was mostly empty, the FA's looked like super models, and the flight was on time both ways. Both pilots were older gentleman that spoke Icelandic. Just my observations - couldn't find anything to really complain about.

Granted, Iceland is considerably quieter in the winter months so I'd anticipate a packed aircraft in the summer months.

20. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

What's with the whole "buy American" thing? Last I checked the said United had a bunch of Airbuses in its fleet.