Would you deny the JS?

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
Still never deny.

Besides, am I supposed to keep track of the dues paying status of everyone who rides my jumpseat? I usually don’t even remember their name 5 minutes into the flight.
This person is CASS validated and the agreement between our employers authorized them to occupy the seat.

Unless and until there’s a V A L I D reason to boot someone, again: get in, loser, we’re going flying.

Soul Brotha'

Are you willing to go in front of the CP and explain why you decided not to give the Jumpseat to a pilot(dues paying or not)? Is your union in favor of denying non members the Jumpseat(gonna guess no on that)? It sucks that some folks don’t want to be part of the team but kicking them from the Jumpseat is a battle you are probably going to lose.

Cherokee_Cruiser

So what were VX guys so angry about that they would pay the same amount of "contact administration fees" than they would dues?
The guys who literally waited to the last second to become non-member dues paying really didn't have a choice. I would imagine they joined out of knowing the fact their path would have led to termination. The "savings" for them is paying dues from 2018 onwards, as opposed to joining ALPA and backpaying dues to Oct 1, 2015. For several guys they are less than 10 yrs from retirement and I guess their math says don't pay retro and stay as nonmembers. If I was king, I'd take all these nonmembers and delinquents out of the SLI and staple their names at the bottom. Remember that $1 million assessment collected from the pilot group for SLI purposes? They didn't pay that. Apparently what I've heard is that even as non-ALPA members, they are still billed for their portion of the SLI $1 million fund. I don't know if that's true?

As for the backgrounds it was a little over the place. Couple ex-US Airways (get over yourselves already), one Freedom A lister, and random assortments of guys who just hate ALPA.

Cherokee_Cruiser

I hope they were excluded from any services ALPA is a part of.
Getting represented in the SLI process without paying the $1 million assessment for the SLI fund (1.9% ALPA dues + 1.5% SLI fund assessment) still burns for the rest of us ALPA dues-paying members. Apparently they are supposed to pay their fair portion of the SLI assessment as part of the agency shop provision even as non-members. As for the rest of ALPA services being excluded, I would imagine that should be the case? Not really sure how it works.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
The guys who literally waited to the last second to become non-member dues paying really didn't have a choice. I would imagine they joined out of knowing the fact their path would have led to termination. The "savings" for them is paying dues from 2018 onwards, as opposed to joining ALPA and backpaying dues to Oct 1, 2015. For several guys they are less than 10 yrs from retirement and I guess their math says don't pay retro and stay as nonmembers. If I was king, I'd take all these nonmembers and delinquents out of the SLI and staple their names at the bottom. Remember that $1 million assessment collected from the pilot group for SLI purposes? They didn't pay that. Apparently what I've heard is that even as non-ALPA members, they are still billed for their portion of the SLI $1 million fund. I don't know if that's true?

As for the backgrounds it was a little over the place. Couple ex-US Airways (get over yourselves already), one Freedom A lister, and random assortments of guys who just hate ALPA.
No dues paid? You can’t bitch about the contract or any contractual violations. Period.

And $1 million dollars, in the world of corporate America, is chump change.

Cherokee_Cruiser

No dues paid? You can’t bitch about the contract or any contractual violations. Period.

And $1 million dollars, in the world of corporate America, is chump change.

Yes. But $1 million collected from just 670ish pilots. It was an auto-deduction with 1.9% ALPA (like everyone else) and then an additional 1.5% for the SLI assessment. 1.5% is a noticeable amount. :)

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Huh, I'm pretty sure we had a guy booted from the property for dues delinquency. I think it was in late 17 or early 18.

So I guess there are "open" and "closed" shops in aviation then? I thought they were all closed.
Closed shop was declared unconstitutional by the supreme Court, it's how we got agency shop.