Would you deny the JS?

statusseeker1

Out of pure morbid curiosity- if you were the PIC would you deny the JS to a company pilot that was a non-dues paying non-member of your union? Would it matter if they were going to/from work or personal travel?

Jordan93

If the FOM says he/she is good to ride and he/she shows me proper credentials, they are riding. I don’t care if they just started a day ago or if they don’t pay dues yet.

z987k

Out of pure morbid curiosity- if you were the PIC would you deny the JS to a company pilot that was a non-dues paying non-member of your union? Would it matter if they were going to/from work or personal travel?
How do they work for the carrier if they don't pay dues? Isn't that required whether you join the union or not, since they still have to represent you?

Jordan93

How do they work for the carrier if they don't pay dues? Isn't that required whether you join the union or not, since they still have to represent you?
First year you are a probationary member and don’t have to pay dues but still are given all ALPA legal protections. The only thing you can’t do is vote. At least that’s how it was at my shop. I’m pretty sure that’s how all ALPA carriers operate.

Last edited:

guywhoflies

Y'NO WUT IM SAYIN
First year you are a probationary member and don’t have to pay dues but still are given all ALPA legal protections. The only thing you can do is vote. At least that’s how it was at my shop. I’m pretty sure that’s how all ALPA carriers operate.
*Can't

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Nah, because the dummy is paying at least as much for "contract administration fees".

Pilots are good with anger and bad with balance sheets.

Cherokee_Cruiser

No I wouldn’t deny him.

We had several here at VX. Luckily the union made an agency shop LOA that mgt agreed to. Long story short, “Non-Member Delinquent” would have eventually been fired. Now they’re “Non-member bad standing” (or something along that line).

By not joining, they only have to pay the agency shop fee from the day they agreed to not be delinquent anymore. But if they join ALPA, they have to backpay dues to Oct 1, 2015. I found it incredulous that even going through a merger we still had a couple guys who wouldn’t join ALPA and pay their dues.

ClarkGriswold

Non Nutritive Cereal Varnish Engineer
No I wouldn’t deny him.

We had several here at VX. Luckily the union made an agency shop LOA that mgt agreed to. Long story short, “Non-Member Delinquent” would have eventually been fired. Now they’re “Non-member bad standing” (or something along that line).

By not joining, they only have to pay the agency shop fee from the day they agreed to not be delinquent anymore. But if they join ALPA, they have to backpay dues to Oct 1, 2015. I found it incredulous that even going through a merger we still had a couple guys who wouldn’t join ALPA and pay their dues.
I hope they were excluded from any services ALPA is a part of.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
No I wouldn’t deny him.

So what were VX guys so angry about that they would pay the same amount of "contact administration fees" than they would dues?

z987k

We have them here.
Huh, I'm pretty sure we had a guy booted from the property for dues delinquency. I think it was in late 17 or early 18.

So I guess there are "open" and "closed" shops in aviation then? I thought they were all closed.

AAPalmTree

Seems like there’s different guys in this boat. There’s a big difference between a probie and a scab.

Hacker15e

Just Happy To Be Here
At Purple they are guys who were on property either before the pilot group was unionized, or were caught in gaps when representation organizations changed.