World’s largest aircraft lifts off for first time in California

inigo88

Composite-lover
@Derg did you fly L1011s back in the day?

Coincidentally the last L1011 still flying operationally (that I know of) is the “Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems” (formerly Orbital Sciences) Stargazer mothership that drops the air-launched Pegasus rocket. Based at none other than the Mojave Air & Space Port. It was a treat to see it fly once in a blue moon. :)

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member

Coincidentally the last L1011 still flying operationally (that I know of) is the “Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems” (formerly Orbital Sciences) Stargazer mothership that drops the air-launched Pegasus rocket. Based at none other than the Mojave Air & Space Port. It was a treat to see it fly once in a blue moon. :)

I'd heard that some of the retired RAF Tristar tankers were to be purchased by a civilian company for civil aerial refueling services for the USN/USMC, much like current civilian 707 and DC-10 tankers do.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
I'd heard that some of the retired RAF Tristar tankers were to be purchased by a civilian company for civil aerial refueling services for the USN/USMC, much like current civilian 707 and DC-10 tankers do.
The company that acquired them says they will be based out of Phoenix on their website, still pending Part 125 approval.
Cool airplanes, the Brits ran them config to carry pax as well as refueling after the Falklands

pianokeys

MEL NO MUFFS

View attachment 47731

The L1011 is such a segsi airplane.

Autothrust Blue

"...I know bait when I see it..."
Well I'm puzzled by the cryptic negativity of your post. But comparing cross-category airplane to lighter than air is not exactly apples to apples. It broke the world record for longest wingspan airplane at 385 ft, but is not the biggest in other ways. Decide for yourself.

How We Launch - Stratolaunch
Stratolaunch | Scaled Composites

I'm not sure if this applies to the cynics here, but I've never understood the keyboard-ninja internet fanboy rivalries on places like Reddit about how "my favorite billionaire who does space stuff is better than your favorite billionaire who does space stuff!" The Falcon Heavy launch this week was freaking amazing. New Shepherd is amazing, and New Glenn is going to be epic. Meanwhile Kitty Hawk, ACubed and Opener are trailblazing the concept of electric VTOL air taxi services, and Boom is quietly developing a supersonic business jet in Colorado.

When it comes to commercial space, my philosophy has always been "A rising tide lifts all boats." Every time the Elon Musks, Jeff Bezoses and Paul Allens of the world dream big, it pushes innovation forward and brings our society one step closer to a science fiction space faring future. Whether I'm on their "team" or not is irrelevant. It's an exciting time for aerospace, and I want to cheer all of them on. :)
Grumpy cat says I don’t like any of them!

But it is a cool airplane and fantastic achievement, so excellent. And excellent work!

AAPalmTree

This Seattle Times article explains that the flight deck is in the right cabin, and it’s a 3-person crew (pilot, copilot, flight engineer).

This is one of the only still photos released of the flight deck currently. ;)
View attachment 47695

Please don’t tell me that’s a GD 737 seat!!!!

FlyingAccountant

L1011? For us young guys, that was a big airplane right?
It was ahead of its time in a number of respects. Too bad Lockheed stopped making commercial aircraft.

I'm not convinced this L1011 tanker deal is going to be viable long term. There is no parts supply chain for them and they've already stated they're going to have to use three of them as non airworthy parts donors for the other three.

It's also my understanding they don't have refueling booms which limits the types of aircraft they can refuel.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
It was ahead of its time in a number of respects. Too bad Lockheed stopped making commercial aircraft.

I'm not convinced this L1011 tanker deal is going to be viable long term. There is no parts supply chain for them and they've already stated they're going to have to use three of them as non airworthy parts donors for the other three.

It's also my understanding they don't have refueling booms which limits the types of aircraft they can refuel.
Limits it a bit, but worldwide, far more aircraft use drogue air refueling than do boom AR, if they will be using them more than just CONUS.

As an aside, a few airplanes we've built have been able to AR by both boom as well as probe/drogue.