World’s largest aircraft lifts off for first time in California

jweldon

“Member”
It's an amazing achievement, and a fantastic airplane. I'm absolutely delighted to see any advancement in space technology, because I'm a huge nerd. SpaceX's triple landing the other day had me giggling. But this, rather than Nazi-rockets, is the future of space flight.

I linked in the Hindenburg because the title was 'largest aircraft'. Most stories are stating 'largest airplane by wingspan'. Not to diminish the achievement here, but most people have no clue just how huge airships were. Again, nerd, but when they weren't catching fire or popping, they were amazing even by today's standard.

Paul Allen went full Koch Brother to buy legislation attacking civil rights in WA, just when I thought I'd found a home. The State may not recover.
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize he donated $1 Mil for gun control in WA. That seems to be it, except a $100,000 donation to help republicans keep the house in 2018. Elon Musk donated to them as well.

$500 million for brain science
$200 million for bioscience
$100 million to various universities
$30 million to SETI
$7 million for a census of all the elephants in Africa to study their decline

In 2014, Allen pledged at least $100 million toward the fight to end the Ebola virus epidemic in West Africa,[120] making him the largest private donor in the Ebola crisis.

Allen backed Washington state initiative 1401 to prohibit the purchase, sale and distribution of products made from 10 endangered species including elephants, rhinos, lions, tigers, leopards, cheetahs, marine turtles, pangolins, sharks and rays.

An active art collector, Allen gifted more than $100 million to support the arts.

"Allen was an active political donor who contributed to the campaigns of both Democratic and Republican congressional and presidential candidates."

A real bad egg :)

NickH

Dank Meme
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize he donated $1 Mil for gun control in WA. That seems to be it, except a $100,000 donation to help republicans keep the house in 2018. Elon Musk donated to them as well.

$500 million for brain science
$200 million for bioscience
$100 million to various universities
$30 million to SETI
$7 million for a census of all the elephants in Africa to study their decline

In 2014, Allen pledged at least $100 million toward the fight to end the Ebola virus epidemic in West Africa,[120] making him the largest private donor in the Ebola crisis.

Allen backed Washington state initiative 1401 to prohibit the purchase, sale and distribution of products made from 10 endangered species including elephants, rhinos, lions, tigers, leopards, cheetahs, marine turtles, pangolins, sharks and rays.

An active art collector, Allen gifted more than $100 million to support the arts.

"Allen was an active political donor who contributed to the campaigns of both Democratic and Republican congressional and presidential candidates."

A real bad egg :)
There's a difference between philanthropy and buying laws, especially buying laws that attack civil rights. Koch Brother or not, his $1.25M alone was more than funds to defend us all. Glad Ebola has been cured, tho!

jweldon

“Member”
There's a difference between philanthropy and buying laws, especially buying laws that attack civil rights. Koch Brother or not, his $1.25M alone was more than funds to defend us all. Glad Ebola has been cured, tho!
Well sorry I was being a passive aggressive btch, but I can't find anything about him attacking civil rights on google. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I can't find it

NickH

Dank Meme
Well sorry I was being a passive aggressive btch, but I can't find anything about him attacking civil rights on google. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I can't find it
That's OK. Passive aggression represents 90% of internet arguments.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
With dual cockpits (as shown) are both cockpits manned during flight? Does one have command authority over the other? And what's the sight picture like if you're the one flying, being so offset from centerline?

Also, where do I go to get typed in it?

GypsyPilot

Can you please be specific for those of us that don’t know what you’re talking about?

People far smarter than I designed that thing, but the section between the fuselages kinda gives me the willies. Hope there is an ejection seat.
I distinctly recall having that same slightly nauseous feeling when this bird came up in an earlier thread. The stresses about all three axes of rotation on that mid span - especially if they ever load the thing up - have got to be, er, impressive. And, I suppose, don't set her down hard on one main gear before the other.

inigo88

Composite-lover
Are both fuselages equipped with flight controls?
This Seattle Times article explains that the flight deck is in the right cabin, and it’s a 3-person crew (pilot, copilot, flight engineer).

This is one of the only still photos released of the flight deck currently. ;)

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
This Seattle Times article explains that the flight deck is in the right cabin, and it’s a 3-person crew (pilot, copilot, flight engineer).

This is one of the only still photos released of the flight deck currently. ;)
View attachment 47695

So is the design of the left fuselage purely for aesthetic reasons?

inigo88

Composite-lover
So is the design of the left fuselage purely for aesthetic reasons?
The existence of the left fuselage as a whole is functional. This artists conceptual drawing, and the size of the payload, should explain why.

See Virgin Galactic White Knight 2 for comparison: