Wing tip Wednesday

z987k

Where did you find that? Was that when the guys were doing their around the globe thing?
You're thinking the LA-8. I went and flew the L-44 during the world cup. They both come out of Samara and the same engineering school. And are derivatives of the Chaika L-6.

BigZ

You're thinking the LA-8. I went and flew the L-44 during the world cup. They both come out of Samara and the same engineering school. And are derivatives of the Chaika L-6.
You are absolutely right, for some reason I thought there was a 42/44 derivative in there also.
Neat bird!

z987k

Sweet. An acquaintance was the original owner of this blue 42 -

I think he got over a thousand hours in that thing before going over to the dark side of the helicopters
I wish I could just buy one, but it'd have to come in as exhibition and that's worthless. So a build it will be. But there's nothing else even close in takeoff/landing distance, speed and useful load. I've looked everywhere for some sort of western analogue, but it just doesn't exist.

BigZ

I wish I could just buy one, but it'd have to come in as exhibition and that's worthless. So a build it will be.
We had good fun in exhibition, but I think it was due to Yak-52 being somehow military and same for Aerospatiale Gazelle - those were exempt from faxing proposed destinations stuff to the feds. Do they still require that?
But year, build would be better

z987k

We had good fun in exhibition, but I think it was due to Yak-52 being somehow military and same for Aerospatiale Gazelle - those were exempt from faxing proposed destinations stuff to the feds. Do they still require that?
But year, build would be better
Ya, they still require that. I can see how exhibition works okay for Yaks and the various trainers and even the Migs that have been imported. You don't use those the same way.