Will we stop commercial flying?

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Like you said, the mil folks have a different mission. Do those scopes overlay airways or airspace boundaries?
am not sure. Whether it’s in their software as an available overlay, or whether it would have to be loaded up.

it would have to be FAA controllers in the aircraft, not just for the military mission, but because even standard military ATC folks who do an ATC function, are mostly tower controllers or RAPCON/RATCF controllers. There are very few ARTCC-type controllers, since the military doesn’t deal with that except for a few small areas. Plus, the FAA controllers from their respective ARTCCs already know their airspace as opposed to mil controllers having to learn it new.

For comparison purposes, Im old enough to remember seeing the PATCO strike on TV, but not old enough to know the operational details of how exactly the military ATC folks were meted out to cover the affected ATC facilities. Many were closed down, and mostly busy tower facilities and radar facilities were back filled by military ATC controllers, but I don’t know how long training and such took or what percentage of prior capability the facilities were eventually able to provide with the military controllers. @queeno or @fholbert may know the answer.

Cherokee_Cruiser

So you're re-evaluating your position on firearms?
No. Not sure what position you’re implying. My dad has 3 guns and I grew up with that in the house and he taught us to shoot. I’m not against guns per say, rather, the procedures currently in place that seem to fail the mentally sick who carry out mass shootings.

USMCmech

even standard military ATC folks who do an ATC function, are mostly tower controllers or RAPCON/RATCF controllers. There are very few ARTCC-type controllers, since the military doesn’t deal with that except for a few small areas
Don't even get me started on military ATC handling civilian traffic. They are OK with military SOP, but throw any curveball at them and they are lost as a 2nd LT with a compass.

Shepherd approach vectored me in-between a pair of radio towers one early morning. I didn't see them until I was 60 seconds from passing through the uprights. Thats the only time I've ever called in a complaint on a controller.

Vance approach had orders to vector us 30 miles around their airspace even tough we were headed to Enid OK right next door. I finally got frustrated and canceled IFR as soon as they tried to turn me and just flew over the top of their class D.

"Martex, you are flying right through our T-6 pattern!"
"Well, are any of them flying right now?"
"No, but..."
"OK thanks, I'll be descending for Enid shortly."

Richman

Don't even get me started on military ATC handling civilian traffic. They are OK with military SOP, but throw any curveball at them and they are lost as a 2nd LT with a compass.

Shepherd approach vectored me in-between a pair of radio towers one early morning. I didn't see them until I was 60 seconds from passing through the uprights. Thats the only time I've ever called in a complaint on a controller.

Vance approach had orders to vector us 30 miles around their airspace even tough we were headed to Enid OK right next door. I finally got frustrated and canceled IFR as soon as they tried to turn me and just flew over the top of their class D.

"No, but..."
Came out of Key West one morning, we were IFR on an assigned heading off the runway. I looked up from the checklist to find an F-14 occupying the entire area of not one, but two windshields.

When we called to ask, Key West approach said "don't worry about him, he's VFR".

I could tell you the type of fasteners they used on their inspection panels. We were unamused, and complained, but that was met with a shrug and a "well, it's a military facility".

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Came out of Key West one morning, we were IFR on an assigned heading off the runway. I looked up from the checklist to find an F-14 occupying the entire area of not one, but two windshields.

When we called to ask, Key West approach said "don't worry about him, he's VFR".

I could tell you the type of fasteners they used on their inspection panels. We were unamused, and complained, but that was met with a shrug and a "well, it's a military facility".
Didn’t the flying pilot see the Tomcat?

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
No.

First, the numbers won’t be that high. The data is flawed. When someone dies and the post mortem reveals Cornavirus, that counts as a corona death. But where is the proof the virus itself caused the fatality. What if it was their underlying pre-existing health condition, and the virus was just there hanging in the back and not the actual front cause of death?
What exactly do you think kills people when they die from a corona virus?

Brian29

Oh please. I’d rather risk 500k to 2 Mil (won’t be that high) dead Americans before risk having complete martial law in all 50 states enforced by the National Guard / military.

No one said that freedom would be free. Or cheap. Isn’t that the battle cry?

The economy needs to open again and ASAP. No more than 2-3 weeks of this shutdown.
Then I hope you’re at the front of that line risking what you would so easily risk of others.

cmac88

"No, but..."
Oh yes, that's my airspace at ZFW. We work with Sheppard, Vance, LTS and Ft Sill. Sheppard is a training base for controllers so they're always fun. Ft Sill is my favorite because they're 24/7 (for the restricted area) and you can hear espn in the background. Anything in the evening they're usually out of breath from you waking them up.

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee
I hear tons of people who died in motorcycle accidents lately happened to have Covid-19. Definitely a significant portion of all the deaths attributed to the pandemic.

Skåning

Emirates is stopping all passenger flights:

Dear colleagues,

The world has literally gone into quarantine due to the COVID-19 outbreak. This situation is unprecedented. Never before has the aviation and travel industry, nor the world, faced a crisis of this breadth and scale – geographically, as well as from a health, social, and economic standpoint.

Until January 2020, the Emirates Group was doing well against our current financial year targets. But COVID-19 has brought all that to a sudden and painful halt over the past six weeks.

You would know from my previous updates that Emirates and dnata have been hit hard by flight and travel restrictions across all continents.

As a global network airline, we now find ourselves in a situation where we cannot viably operate passenger services until countries re-open their borders, and travel confidence returns.

By Wednesday 25 March, although we will still operate cargo flights which remain busy, Emirates will have temporarily suspended all its passenger flights.

dnata is also severely impacted as their airline customers dramatically reduce operations, or stop flying completely. dnata has massively reduced its operations in Dubai and across its global network, including temporarily shutting operations at some international locations.

We are not alone in this situation. Other businesses have ceased operations entirely, and made workers redundant.

For us, rather than ask employees to leave the business, the executive team has taken the difficult decision to temporarily reduce basic salary for the majority of Emirates Group employees. This is for three months, effective 01 April until 30 June. During this period, all other fixed allowances – including, for example: housing and utilities, transportation, education allowances, medical insurance, end of service benefits (including provident scheme) will remain in place.

Presidents: 100% basic salary reduction
Grade 9 and above, all Management, Flight Operations and Engineers: 50% basic salary reduction
Grades 4 to 8 and cabin crew: 25% basic salary reduction
Grades 1 to 3 (including Cabin Service Attendants): no reduction in basic pay or fixed allowances
If any employee had volunteered previously for unpaid leave, they can now opt to cancel that leave in lieu of the above.

We have never done such a thing before, and we hope we won’t ever have to do it again. However, we chose to implement a temporary salary reduction as we want to protect our workforce and keep our talented and skilled people, as much as possible. Emirates remains committed to serving its markets. When demand picks up again, we also want to be able to quickly ramp up and resume services for our customers.

We will continue to watch the situation closely, and if we can reinstate our operations and regular salaries sooner, we will.

During this “slowdown” period, I would like everyone to keep their spirits up.

Some of our competitors, or even our supply chain partners, may not survive this crisis. But I’m sure that Emirates and dnata will get through this. For now, we have to preserve our resources, while preparing ourselves for the rebound.

Finally, please prioritise your health and wellbeing, and that of your families. As a company, we will now strongly implement work from home policies, wherever it is feasible. With few exceptions for operational continuity reasons, we would like all our employees to work from home, and be on standby if the business needs you to return. If you have any questions please click here to access some FAQs and also feel free to talk with your line manager or HR business partner.

I know I can count on everyone for your understanding and support.

Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum
Chairman & Chief Executive, Emirates Airline & Group

Apophis

Resident Iconoclast
Or stage IV cancer, end stage CHF,etc
Exactly.

I remember reading an ESPN article about a Spanish soccer coach who died, apparently from corona virus. He was 21 years old.

Of course, if you read the entire article it went on to say that he had stage IV leukemia. So was it really corona virus that killed him? It’s disingenuous reporting like this that really makes me angry towards these news outlets.

We don’t know how many of the dead in Italy were older and/or had pre existing serious medical complications.

Without knowing that information, posting body counts does nothing but stir panic.

SteveC

Really?
Staff member
I suppose we could always task the medical professionals to make a best-educated determination of cause of death and do the official reports instead of having news reporters do it. Wonder if any countries have thought about doing it that way?

nibake

Powder hound
If we had data saying whether the same person killed by COVID-19 would have been killed by a flu that would be useful.