1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will it be hard for me to get a DIspatch job with no experience?

Discussion in 'Flight Control/Dispatch' started by Anthony18216, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Anthony18216

Anthony18216 Well-Known Member

Im 23 and have a bachelors degree in psychology and no prior aviation experience or job experience in general. My only work experience was a non paid internship at a mental institute for 2 months. I just got my dispatch license and have applied to 5 dispatch jobs,1 assistant dispatch job,and 4 flight follower jobs. Do you think I have a chance at landing a job or do I need to volunteer more or get work experience and find a local retail job.

2. manniax

manniax Well-met in the Ka-tet

If you used to work in a mental institute this should give you a good background for working at a regional airline and talking to flight crews on the phone. :D

Seriously, though, the first job is the hardest one to get and I would just keep throwing out resumes for all the openings you see. If you have a chance, you might look at gaining some job experience at an FBO to have something more "aviation related" on your resume. Good luck!

Sandydfw, Kev, mrezee and 4 others like this.
  3. flyingmedic

flyingmedic Well-Known Member

You’ll be fine. I bet I see 2-5 jobs posted a DAY. It all comes down to QoL issues. Just be reasonable in your own search. You’ll do fine!

4. QXSOUP

QXSOUP Well-Known Member

Lots of regionals will hire you, Skywest being one.

5. Anthony18216

Well,I will be willing to relocate almost anywhere to gain experience.My parents said they are willing to help me out for a few months, so I am applying everywhere.

6. azmedic

azmedic Well-Known Member

If you have a pulse and a ticket,you shouldn't have an issue getting on at a regional. Pretty much all of them hire a few times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. manniax

manniax Well-met in the Ka-tet

That's a good attitude to have. Being willing to relocate is generally a prerequisite for career success in this field. Since I started working as a dispatcher, I have moved my state of residence...let's see here...seven times. Hopefully now that I'm on with a major my moving is over for a while...but in this industry you never can tell!

thegriffinpages and azmedic like this.
  8. F9DXER

F9DXER Well-Known Member

You have a degree in psychology and you want to be a dispatcher?

Hmmmm.........

Folks, I really think we found the one person who really needs to take and pass a psych exam!!!! :bang:o_O:eek::p:bounce::confused2:

In all honesty, it shouldn't be a problem. I know people who transitioned from many different careers and have become successful dispatchers.

Best of Luck

azmedic, thegriffinpages and Kev like this.
  9. Kev

Kev RNP 2112

You have a college degree and are young enough for a regional airline manager to think you won't be running out the door because he pays you peanuts.

You'll do fine!

azmedic and thegriffinpages like this.
  10. Anthony18216

I got a degree in psychology ,because it was an easy major and I just wanted a degree. I never had a passion for it,and discovered 2 years ago that I have a passion for aviation.I just want to dispatch and have adventure and move around a lot.I also want to use my income from dispatch to save for ppl classes and then eventually get my commercial pilot license.I think dispatch is a great job for people my age who want adventure and to get their foot in the door in the airline business.Im so excited to land my first job and to live in a city I would of never thought about living in .

11. Anthony18216

The pay isnt bad at all to me since im only 23. I have a few relatives between 26 and 32 making 10-14 dollars an hour,and ill problem be making more than them at a regional.

thegriffinpages likes this.
  12. Flagship_dxer

Flagship_dxer The Penis Mightier

I was 23 back in 2011 when I started at a regional. I had no work experience and just a pulse with a dispatch license. When regionals need dispatchers, they will interview anyone with a license that applies. Depending on how much student loan debt you have or savings, you can save good money being young and single at a regional. Many of the cities that have Ops centers also have pilot bases and crash pads. Either crash pad or finding roommates will be a big help when you work at a regional. OT is usually abundant at the regionals so you will likely have the chance to make extra money on your days off should you want to do that.

METARd and manniax like this.
  13. MarkM0228

MarkM0228 Well-Known Member

There's a regional hiring somewhere almost all of the time. SkyWest has another posting up, and they hired earlier in the summer; they're in growth mode, so this is no surprise. PSA and Republic also have postings up. There may be others, but now that I'm working, I don't follow the job postings much anymore.

14. MarkM0228

MarkM0228 Well-Known Member

Dude, you cracked me up with that one!

15. azmedic

azmedic Well-Known Member

What's this "adventure" you speak of??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Anthony18216

I am a social guy and it will be adventurous to me getting a job at a regional. Moving far from home to a city I thought Id never live or visit. I am a social guy and probably meet some really cool people around town and explore.

17. Anthony18216

Wow! Your post gives me a lot of hope.

18. The Roaming DXER

The Roaming DXER Well-Known Member

With that attitude you will do just fine and will adapt well. One thing you may want to consider in your off time in a new city is to check out meetup.com They have all kinds of groups for all kinds of interests. I have met some great people and made friends with my current hiking and outdoors group in the current locale I call home for now.

19. Aeroscout840

Aeroscout840 Well-Known Member

Roaming DXER is right, with your attitude you will be just fine. I'd be surprised to find that you're not employed in the next few months. You'll be making 100k before you're 30.

20. Scarebus

Scarebus Active Member

I interviewed and got hired by a regional within 3 weeks of getting my license. I had no prior aviation experience. I'm one of the luckier ones so don't be discouraged if it takes longer but as others have said you will have no issue getting on somewhere. If regionals only hired people with prior experience they wouldn't exist.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017