Why...

Jordan93

I always do NAV mode on those kinds of departures. Less button pushing, less thinking. The AP will turn to a heading, not track because the FMS programs a heading. Just verify the FMS matches up with the SID

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Yep, tried NAV mode today in a 700 and it worked. It definitely flew a heading with no wind drift correction. Good to know.

However, my company requires HDG mode for those RNAV departures, and after thinking about it a minute, I realized why. If you take off and select NAV mode first, then if CLT gives you any other additional vector prior to “direct FIXXX”, you will be selecting HDG anyway to do that unless you are hand flying. My company must have decided HDG mode with more than one vector was more likely to be used, and set our SOP to try to minimize folks screwing up by forgetting to take it off NAV if they got a second vector.
A certain group of Mormons repeatedly failed to make the turn on the LOOP (I think that was what it was called?) out of LAX, and thus, "fly the airplane" ensued on that DP.

Big bold letters on the chart - TURN AT 520' IS MANDATORY FOR ATC SEPARATION or somesuch.

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
A certain group of Mormons repeatedly failed to make the turn on the LOOP (I think that was what it was called?) out of LAX, and thus, "fly the airplane" ensued on that DP.

Big bold letters on the chart - TURN AT 520' IS MANDATORY FOR ATC SEPARATION or somesuch.
I think that’s out of SJC.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Be a real man and use TRK/FPA.
You can. But then have to look at the winds and the green diamond/ground track.

If it’s a heading off the STAR, why not just pull heading.

I used TRACK the other day dodging thunderstorms - because that's what I wanted, and the Captain was all "WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE"
Why not just heading? We don’t tell ATC we’re looking for a track, we ask for headings around weather right? :)

Let me guess, you liked PTCH mode for climb/descents on the CRJ2? ;)

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
Why not just heading? We don’t tell ATC we’re looking for a track, we ask for headings around weather right? :)
Meh, it’s a mode of the system. Might as well use it. They gave us left and right, wherever when able - track gave me what I wanted.

Side note: I am looking forward to the bird being displayed full time, which is a coming update to our airplanes apparently. It’s a sad failure of airplane instrumentation that the most important quantity we manage on a constant basis - angle of attack - is not depicted anywhere in the cockpit.

Let me guess, you liked PTCH mode for climb/descents on the CRJ2? ;)
Matter of fact, yes, and not just in the -200. When you’re yelling “disregard the constabulary” climbing out of YWG on day four going home, PTCH held 320 better than CLB or VS. PTCH didn’t hunt.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Meh, it’s a mode of the system. Might as well use it. They gave us left and right, wherever when able - track gave me what I wanted.

Side note: I am looking forward to the bird being displayed full time, which is a coming update to our airplanes apparently. It’s a sad failure of airplane instrumentation that the most important quantity we manage on a constant basis - angle of attack - is not depicted anywhere in the cockpit.

Matter of fact, yes, and not just in the -200. When you’re yelling “disregard the constabulary” climbing out of YWG on day four going home, PTCH held 320 better than CLB or VS. PTCH didn’t hunt.

MCDU—-> AIDS —-> hit R1 (Alpha) —-> hit R1 (Alpha Display) ——> type in “AOA”