Why...

DogwoodLynx

"Hey man, good airplane, APU's deferred so it gets a little hot"

death stare of how dare you bring me this jet
I do feel bad when we have to swap you Pilot’s to a plane that has either been sitting on a MX pad for days or is on a gate where the PCA doesn’t work.

Don’t worry guys. I understand why you hold boarding when the cabin is 100 degrees.

phill1174

Why would you shut the APU down on a turn when it is 110° outside?
Because the company memo says to. At least that’s the reason where I’m at. The thought hasn’t crossed their mind that the rampers probably won’t hook up the air for a turn less than 45mins. If they get it hooked up and it’s cool I’ll turn it off. I like a quiet ramp. We’re also plagued with the issue of taxing around with one engine going and no APU which leaves one pack to do all the work. That’s nice during the winter and on cool fall days but not so great when it’s 90 degrees out in high humidity. I’m all about being a team player but not when I have to deal with swamp a**.

DogwoodLynx

Because the company memo says to. At least that’s the reason where I’m at. The thought hasn’t crossed their mind that the rampers probably won’t hook up the air for a turn less than 45mins. If they get it hooked up and it’s cool I’ll turn it off. I like a quiet ramp. We’re also plagued with the issue of taxing around with one engine going and no APU which leaves one pack to do all the work. That’s nice during the winter and on cool fall days but not so great when it’s 90 degrees out in high humidity. I’m all about being a team player but not when I have to deal with swamp a**.
Yeah and sorry that you guys even have to ask. You’d think that ramp would automatically hook up power and air when it’s 105 in DFW

phill1174

Yeah and sorry that you guys even have to ask. You’d think that ramp would automatically hook up power and air when it’s 105 in DFW
I worked ramp for a few years. I know they’re short most of the time so it doesn’t bother me. Not to mention they have metrics to meet just like us so I let them do their thing. If it’s going to sit I’ll usually call after everyone is off. I figure by then most if not all of the bags are off and there’s a free person to hook it up.

I really rubbed my temples last night in Atlanta. "Hey Frontier, are you set up for this one or that one?" "I mean, either way." "Frontier, let's go to 26L." "Frontier, verify your first fix is MPASS." "Frontier so and so, RNAV to MPASS." "Frontier, I see you in the turn to MPASS, contact Atlanta Departure."

DID YOU KNOW THE FIRST FIX IS MPASS?

It's like they invented the pilot deviation for runway changes in ATL.
Be honest... how many klonopin did you pop after hearing all of that?

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Why are RNAV departures so error-prone? It seems easier than the heading-course-another heading to intercept dance on ground based nav DPs.

Jordan93

Why are RNAV departures so error-prone? It seems easier than the heading-course-another heading to intercept dance on ground based nav DPs.
It’s probably not so much that people can’t follow the flight director as much as people entering the wrong runway in the FMS and not verifying it. You enter the wrong runway in ATL and it will make for a bad day. This was a problem at my airline like a year and half ago and we were getting a ridiculous number of PDs so much that ATL banned us from doing RNAV SIDs until we could get our act together.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
HA is the same way (kind of) right now. Due to a bunch of runway entry errors and a general lack of familiarity with them about 6 years ago, our POI required that we don't hand fly them. They directed it via memo, which expired after 6 months and never was actually put in the fom. But we still aren't "allowed" to hand fly any of them.