1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Regional? (ORD)

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by zVo, Jul 31, 2017.

1. tcco94

tcco94 Professional GTA V Pilot

1 month on reserve? I knew a handful last month still on reserve for their 4th consecutive month and said the base size to line holders in the 145 was a huge gap. Maybe it changed?

2. Beep

Beep Well-Known Member

They have 7 reserve FOs on the 145 this month, that may change as people finish IOE, though.

tcco94 likes this.
  3. tcco94

Stuff changes fast...or my sources were being dramatic! Lol

4. podrick

podrick Well-Known Member

Thats about right, went up to 71 lines of flying this month compared to 48 two months ago hence the big change.

tcco94 likes this.
  5. tcco94

Wow, nice change for y'all!

6. podrick

podrick Well-Known Member

To the OP, I'd definitely look into Air Wisconsin as well since they're opening an ORD base soon. Historically they've had a strong union and a great contract, and I believe they're offering the most money out of anyone right now.

ScorpionStinger likes this.
  7. zVo

zVo Well-Known Member

I find Air Wisconsin to be an interesting option right now; I'm definitely going to have to give them closer consideration.

I guess I'm a little confused on the 3 AA WOs... not sure what the strategy is for each of them. Does Envoy have plans for continued growth? I guess I'm not sure how PSA & Piedmont fit into the regional structure in terms of routes and aircraft.

BigZ likes this.
  8. wheelsup

wheelsup Well-Known Member

Envoy isn't so much growing, more flowing. They are losing a lot of guys off the top allowing for the rapid movement to happen. For those wanting to flow to AA I think with someone hired today it would be around six and a half years which might sound like a long time but that is a pretty short time all things considered. Pay is pretty good as an FO and lots of people are bypassing, upgrade is around three months.

PSA and Piedmont aren't so much flowing but are growing. Piedmont was the smaller carrier so growth is having a larger impact on their group now, PSA seems to have sorta leveled off/slowed down. They both are taking over the LUS Air Wisconsin flying out of DCA and PHL. As far as flow times go both have fairly long flows to AA and as such top level movement will be limited.

If this were last year I would've recommend Piedmont because of their chronic short staffing and upgrade potential on their Dash 8. They're paying triple time (300%) plus an additional $1,000/month for the D8. There are newly hired guys making $12k/month there. But this will come to an end eventually and especially for anyone hired now it's probably out of the question.

Air Wisconsin is a gamble. They are placing 65 airplanes with UA for five years. There is potential for UA to expand them as XJT spools down like they've done with CommutAir as a semi-wholly owned. If they don't, upgrade will remain fairly long by todays standards, 5+ years, and the lifers are only getting further entrenched by the company moving back to ORD (I'm happy for those guys). About the best thing at AWAC is their healthcare. I worked there 8+ years, it was excellent and my wife used it with multiple surgeries for $0 out of pocket co-pays, but employee + 1 runs around $400/month.

zVo and Yakob like this.
  9. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Uhm... about what I said earlier...
    That might change.

Zidac likes this.
  10. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Kaboom

Zidac likes this.
  11. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known Member

A 7 year upgrade at a regional still sucks.

12. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Sure does. But I'm hearing they are picking up a boatload of UAL 50-seater flying.
    But both XJT and AWAC are going to need to be run lean next 5 years.
    I'm thinking the regional model will be changing in the very foreseeable future.

13. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known Member

Damn I just read about the Delta axe to the ASA side.

14. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Staffing issues - someone's gotta fly that UAL flying.
    Barring any major economic downturn, airline staffing will be exciting AF next few years

15. Faull

Faull Well-Known Member

Actually the current upgrade at AWAC is 3.5 years and will be plummeting soon. There are less than 500 pilots on the list right now and in order to staff the United flying they need to hire up to at least an 800 pilot list. A rumor from the training department says they want 1000 pilots on property by next year at this time.

Factor in ~10 pilots a month average attrition and the movement off the top that the CPP will create in starting in February next year.. it's just math. The 18-24 month upgrade the company is advertising seems accurate if not actually fairly conservative.

My class is the last smaller class. (10) Every class moving forward will have 24 slots. They have had no problem filling classes since the United contract/bonus announcement.

ORD opens Nov 1 and will be the biggest AWAC base. It is expected to go junior on the FO side. A few in the class ahead of me already hold it.

16. bimmerphile

bimmerphile SuperCriticalâ„¢ Member

Has anyone at ZW done a CPP interview yet? How many are they supposed to move over to UAL every class

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

17. chrisreedrules

chrisreedrules Master Blaster

Beware inaccuarate information on Internet threads...

Upgrade times at all of the American WOs is less than a year and dropping. PSA has the slowest flow language but we also have the highest attrition off the top so the movement is extremely fast. No ORD base though. In ORD I would look at Envoy.

Piedmont is focused on PHL flying. PSA's focus is CLT, DCA, PHL, and some LGA and ORD. A lot of connecting east coast cities to the Midwest and south. I don't see us expanding much further west. Rumors of more Florida/Caribbean flying in 2018 and we are doing some Canadian flying beginning later this year.

18. WaterRooster

WaterRooster Well-Known Member

It's only less then a year if you have prior 121 time. For anyone who is brand new 1.5-2 years is your upgrade time. 1000 121 time always screws up that "LESS THAN A YEAR!!!!" Upgrade picture.

ComplexHiAv8r likes this.
  19. chrisreedrules

chrisreedrules Master Blaster

I figured that would be self evident.

20. Beep

Beep Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's the ONLY time it's less than a year.
    :)