Where exactly can a dispatcher work?

Rhidell

Hello!

I've been looking into getting my certification. Where exactly would I be able to live with this job? It looks like airlines have all their dispatchers in one city, so what cities does this include? I was hoping to eventually move to Arizona...

Thank you!

nyk

With this job you have to be willing to go anywhere. Myself for example I moved from the northeast to the Midwest. The only airline I can think of in Arizona is Mesa Airlines in Phoenix.

MT

You can live anywhere you want and commute. I don't wish commuting on my worst enemy, but after a 5 year break and a job change I find myself doing it again. You can make commuting work, IF, you have a very, very understanding family. Quality of Life goes down and you really are living in your work city and visit home. However sometimes the dream job is worth the commute!

As for cities you will likely be going to a regional airline so your possibilities are...

MSP x 2 (Endeavor and Compass)
ATL (Expressjet)
SGU (Skywest)
ATW (Air Wisconsin)
PHX (Mesa)
DFW (Envoy fmr American Eagle)
STL x 2 (Trans States and GoJet)
DAY (PSA)
CLE (Commutair)
HYA (Cape Air)
IND x 3 (Republic, Shuttle America, Chataqua)
SBY (Piedmont)
FLL (Silver)

There may be a couple of regional airlines I missed.

PlaneFan82

Then when you start looking at the majors that requires another move:
SDF (UPS)
MEM (FedEx)
ATL x3 (Delta, North American, World)
DFW x2 (Southwest, American/USAirways*) - Rumor is that the USA/AAL SOC will be in DFW
SFO (Virgin America)
SEA (Alaska and Horizon--the regional)
NYC x2 (JetBlue, Atlas)
ORD (United)
HNL (Hawaiian)
TUL (Omni)
CVG (Southern)

Some of the majors will offer relocation when you accept a job with them (FedEx does this but not sure of any others) which kind of helps out the overall cost of relocating. Good luck!

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
SDF (UPS)
MEM (FedEx)
DFW x2 (Southwest, American/USAirways*) - Rumor is that the USA/AAL SOC will be in DFW
SFO (Virgin America)
NYC x2 (JetBlue, Atlas)
ORD (United)
HNL (Hawaiian)
TUL (Omni)
CVG (Southern)

Some of the majors will offer relocation when you accept a job with them (FedEx does this but not sure of any others) which kind of helps out the overall cost of relocating. Good luck!
Most majors don't offer a full paid move but if FedEx does - good for them. Not sure about UPS but as the dispatchers there are union now I doubt they would. Also, I think Horizon's SOC is in PDX and not SEA although I haven't kept close track of them.

cdndx

SDF (UPS)
MEM (FedEx)
SFO (Virgin America)
NYC x2 (JetBlue, Atlas)
ORD (United)
HNL (Hawaiian)
TUL (Omni)
CVG (Southern)

United has been offering relocation as of late.

Rhidell

Awesome thank you for the list. I'll be attending Sheffield in April, and I can't wait! On average does it take a few months to land your first dispatching position?

TrotFox ADX

No 121 carriers gave me any offers after I completed school, I didn't try Mesa & Great Lakes tho cause I had only heard stories..... we'll leave it at that. Those companies would be good 121 experience on your resume tho if you get an offer. Pt. 135 Cargo & Passenger charter companies seem to be a way to get your experience in Aviation for a few years, then look at Pt. 121 carriers.

BoilerOps

Awesome thank you for the list. I'll be attending Sheffield in April, and I can't wait! On average does it take a few months to land your first dispatching position?
It depends on your timing. I got hired directly out of Jeppesen (Class ended Friday, O&P on Saturday, first day of Indoc on Monday) but I would say that's a rare circumstance. It also depends on your background and what companies are looking for at any given time. Best strategy is to just apply everywhere and follow up where opportunities arise.

womanpilot73

Rhidell said:
I also was hired immediately after getting my license. I had the interview set up before finishing school. But I networked, got a tour before I left for Jepp and stayed in touch with the DO throughout the process (progress updates, and to again convey my interest in joining their team if an opportunity arose). If you put some time and effort into it, you might get hired quickly also. But then again, it does come down to timing and whether or not they are hiring.

Best of luck to you!

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
No 121 carriers gave me any offers after I completed school, I didn't try Mesa & Great Lakes tho cause I had only heard stories..... we'll leave it at that. Those companies would be good 121 experience on your resume tho if you get an offer. Pt. 135 Cargo & Passenger charter companies seem to be a way to get your experience in Aviation for a few years, then look at Pt. 121 carriers.
I would say you shouldn't rule out any Part 121 companies just based on stories - even if it's a chaotic office it can be very good experience. And trust me when I say that even if you only have a limited amount of experience - it's a lot easier to find your second job with experience than it is your first job without any. That 121 carrier with the bad rep could be your ticket to getting to a major within 2-3 years vs. working at a 135 carrier, then working at a regional, etc. and not getting on with a major for 5-6 years. Or you could also go regional -> supplemental -> major. There are many paths to career success.

It took me about 2 months before I found a dispatch position (regional carrier) - as others have said, it just depends on timing. But don't be afraid to get your resume out there while you're still in school.

MT

Work hard, know your stuff, and be personable and you'll land that first gig pretty fast. Especially with all the movement going on in the industry right now.

clr4optn

I didn't have any input to this thread until today, except to agree whole-heartedly with the previous posts.
I can now say that for me it took approximately two months. Graduated/got my ticket at Sheffield on 16 NOV 2013. Plastered the countryside with applications, stayed on this site everyday, interviewed for one I didn't get, turned down one that I could have had, and now...

Today I got an offer from Mesa, which I'm accepting. :bounce: I know it's not for everyone, but it appears to fit the bill for me.

womanpilot73

clr4optn said:
Today I got an offer from Mesa, which I'm accepting. :bounce: I know it's not for everyone, but it appears to fit the bill for me.
Congrats! You'll get much needed experience there to move onward and upward later. Enjoy!

PlaneFan82

Congratulations! I have a good buddy there whose a supervisor at Mesa. You got to earn your bones, and Mesa is great experience!

pljenkins

Resident Knucklehead
I have to agree with my esteemed colleagues, don't pass up opportunity based solely on what you hear on this board. Everyone is different, is related to differently, handles adversity differently. Point being, you might go to Mesa and absolutely love it there! There will always be something to be unhappy about no matter where you go, but what's important to me in a job might not be the same for you. What I can say is Mesa is a strong company in the industry, relatively speaking, appears they will be around for a while (something certainly to be considered in this day and age), are expending and seems to always have opportunity. If you can get in there, prove you have a good positive attitude and a "git er done" mentality, people will notice, and those people well advocate for you when the Big Leagues start calling.

nyk

Yes time does fly I can't believe I've been doing this for two years. Crazy when I remember graduated in 2011. Sound cornybut it's the truth before you know it all will become routine.