1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where are you now ?

Discussion in 'Changing Careers' started by renaissance2008, Jun 3, 2016.

1. renaissance2008

renaissance2008 Well-Known Member

I have been enjoying Jetcareers for years now and I wonder what happened to the many that came on this site throughout the years to seek advices regarding career change.
    Still working on it, made it, gave up ?

2. bucksmith

bucksmith Did you lock the doors?

Well, I didn't come on this site for advice about career change, but I came on here shortly after making the career change. I learned how to fly when I was a kid but ended up in an electronics career. After getting laid off about a month before our first son was born, I took out a big loan a finished off my ratings.
    I don't remember how I found the site, but I was an "old" flight instructor employing the networking skills I'd acquired in my professional life so far.
    About a year and half after attending my first NJC, I got the job I currently enjoy thanks to Kristy and Doug and this site. I met the people that put my resume on the right desk while putting down shots of fireball in Vegas with a bunch of folks that had already accomplished what I was trying to. This site has a mission statement that isn't exactly posted anywhere.
    Pay it forward. Simple.
    Professionally speaking, there is no better online forum to advance a career in aviation. Period.
    One of the things that makes JC more special than others is that many of us know each other in real life.
    My advice to someone using this site for professional advancement is to get out and meet some of us. Take the anonymity out of the Internet and do a meet and greet or get your ass (I can say that) out to Vegas for a NJC.
    Guess that's not exactly what you asked for, but I appreciate the post as a good excuse for a quick rant!
    Cheers

A80TRACON likes this.
  3. mooneyguy

mooneyguy been around forever

Good question. I joined jetcareers many moons ago. A private pilot, working on my Instrument flying my Mooney M20J. A layoff prompted me to start investigating a career change. A wonderful wife suggested making the move to aviation. I'm not sure she knew what she was getting herself into.
    I began scouring the pages of JC looking for as much knowledge as I could find. Trying to get to know people. I did meet a lot of great people along the way, and really learned what paths to take to get to my goal.
    How many remember Career pilot School in olathe KS, where i did my CFI's (all 3) or OS aviation with Oscar in Siler city NC where i did my Single and multi Comm in his Twin Comanche? I know a lot of JC'rs went to both.
    My first "job" after being a full time CFI was American Eagle (no not envoy, the REAL American eagle). With the help of several people, including people on JC.
    I loved and hated 121 regional life. Had the bankruptcy not hit, i would have probably stayed. But it did.
    It seemed the writing on the wall said it wasn't going anywhere, so i left.
    A short time later I picked up a Corporate job. I'm still there. I still have my goal that i set and Im still actively working trying to get on with one of a couple 91 corp flight departments that I believe will be the place I will retire from. In the mean time, I'm loving where i am. Flying as Co-Captain with good people.
    Jetcareers was with out doubt instrumental to helping me find my way in the crazy little adventure.

4. Customx

Customx Well-Known Member

I randomly recalled this website and thought I would browse some of the forum. I used to live in Korea, where I was teaching English after I graduated from college. I saved up quite a bit of money, with the plan of moving back home to start training at an FBO like Skymates or somewhere else in Texas. That all changed with the downturn of the economy in 2008. I decided to stay in Korea for an extra two years, continuing to save up. The economy didn't improve, pilots were being laid off and furloughed, and I didn't feel like dropping $40-50k for all my licenses was a wise decision. After a lot of thought, job shadowing and reflection, I decided to move back to try and become a dentist. I had to go back to school to take all the dental school prerequisites since I never took a single biology or chemistry course as a business major. Seven years later, I'm about to finish my second year of dental school and will be treating patients in two months. I live in Phoenix now and there are a lot of flight schools just down the road from my house. I'm a bit jealous of everyone I see up in the air flying, but I'm happy with the choice I made and love what I'm doing now. I don't see myself ever giving up my interest in flying. After graduating I intend to get my PPL and finally get up in the air.

5. Itchy

Itchy Well-Known Member

Man!........If I could start all over again from about age 15, I think I would go your route. Not that I have regrets really, but my buddy who did that is pretty dang happy. Home every night, huge, ostentatious house, wild vacations, etc. It's the home every night part that really is the best part. The huge money aint bad either.

6. Customx

Customx Well-Known Member

Those were all factors in my decision. Getting married about 5 months before I moved back to the US made me rethink what is most important. The money isn't bad, but it will be a long time before I may enjoy some of those benefits your friend has. Dental school costs about $300-550k, so I would advise someone not to pursue the career strictly for the money.