1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is a flight considered "dispatched"

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by propsync, Apr 12, 2017.

1. propsync

propsync Well-Known Member

I'm curious, does your airline specify at what point your flight is considered officially dispatched?

For example, is at door closing, push back, taxi under own power, or takeoff.

I seem to recall from a previous job years back that they were very specific as to when an airplane was dispatched, the reason being was that it was important to distinguish between when you were to take your guidance from the MEL vs when you take your guidance from the POH/QRH. Their philosophy was that after dispatch, for all intents and purposes the FAA does not distinguish whether you are on the ground or in the air, you do not use the MEL at this point. For example you taxi out and have a problem, at this point you do not refer to the MEL or call maintenance, you only speak with your dispatcher and use the QRH/POH.

Another side question which may or may not be related to whether the airplane is "dispatched" if that is even a term any more is when does the Captain officially take charge of the airplane?

2. Baronman

Baronman Well-Known Member

In my short career I've always treated being blocked out/in as the primary marker (so basically the parking brake).

If you're blocked out you deal with the QRH, if that doesn't provide the level of satisfaction you're looking for you can park and call MX. At that point it's either they provide a reset/fix/crew applied MEL or you return to the gate.

3. Cessnaflyer

Cessnaflyer Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

We were dispatched once for the 8 or so legs we had a day.

BobDDuck likes this.
  4. Autothrust Blue

Autothrust Blue mash buttan

Where I work, I believe the "point of dispatch" is the point at which I accept the release, either via my initialization of ACARS, or via my signature on the manual manifest at non-ACARS stations. (This is also the affirmative statement of fitness for duty required by Part 117, incidentally.)

5. Luigi

Luigi Well-Known Member

Point of dispatch where you work is running TO numbers in ACARS. Unless something has changed, I don't work there anymore. The fit for duty statement is the init of ACARS.

6. Autothrust Blue

Autothrust Blue mash buttan

Well, today I learned. I will, at some point, reread the FOM; tonight, however, is not that night.

Cessnaflyer likes this.
  7. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

At SJI, brake release, after main door closing, which triggers the OUT time, is the point at which we're dispatched.

8. ClarkGriswold

ClarkGriswold Non Nutritive Cereal Varnish Engineer

Either my instructors didn't know or my memory is bad but they asked multiple times what I believe was " when are we dispatched?" and were always looking for "advancement of thrust for takeoff"...

mastermags and Dexter like this.
  9. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Was that for dispatched or when a new release would be required?

10. ClarkGriswold

ClarkGriswold Non Nutritive Cereal Varnish Engineer

I'm trying to remember but it sticks out for some reason. Trying to find answer.

ian likes this.
  11. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

All I know is that we had an issue once getting ready to push. Door closed, brakes released, waiting on ramp and the cabin called with a seat problem. We called line MX and were told, "you guys are considered dispatched, call MX Control."

12. PhilosopherPilot

PhilosopherPilot Well-Known Member

Blocked out, for my company.

13. Dexter

Dexter Hop off there, Blonde Ambition Tour

Can confirm this is what we're told in indoc, since I heard it this week

ClarkGriswold likes this.
  14. mastermags

mastermags Well-Known Member *giggity*

This was confirmed at CQ yesterday as well.

15. propsync

propsync Well-Known Member

I found out that the answer for our company is when thrust levers are advanced for takeoff. In fact, it is shown as such in our MEL intro of all places.

ClarkGriswold likes this.