When GPS going down is no longer a theory

nabbyfan

I’m on the west coast and a ton of Skywest’s were /A and we ended up basically just giving any SKW headings only. Absolutely bizarre day, thank god it’s over.

QXE refuses to do the IRNMN on a good day, but every SKW having like 0 navigation capability made this fun haha.

Jordan93

Green needles FTW! Got called in on long call. Let’s see what fun awaits me. Some of our crews got canceled at midnight and didn’t get to a hotel until 5am. Good times

JeppUpdater

I’m on the west coast and a ton of Skywest’s were /A and we ended up basically just giving any SKW headings only. Absolutely bizarre day, thank god it’s over.
Regionals too incompetent to fly green needle airways and approaches anymore?

Somehow I wouldn't doubt it.

Beefy McGee

Green needles FTW! Got called in on long call. Let’s see what fun awaits me. Some of our crews got canceled at midnight and didn’t get to a hotel until 5am. Good times
Regionals too incompetent to fly green needle airways and approaches anymore?

Somehow I wouldn't doubt it.
Why would you have to fly green needles for this? The FMS can do white needles with VOR/DME all day long. Just can’t use any GPS fixes / routes / approaches. You’d only need green needles for an ILS/LOC or if radio nav aids went to a diminished availability or reception too.

JeppUpdater

Why would you have to fly green needles for this? The FMS can do white needles with VOR/DME all day long. Just can’t use any GPS fixes / routes / approaches. You’d only need green needles for an ILS/LOC or if radio nav aids went to a diminished availability or reception too.
Maybe in your avionics system, but many others do white/magenta for satellite/inertial navigation, green for ground-based. Others have white for enroute (like yours it seems), others do green for everything and just annunciate the source.

It’s one area that manufactures have not standardized on, even moreso in older systems.

CUTigerPilot

RJ Scum
It’s on older aircraft that have retrofitted with ADS-B. The new transponder, ADS-B transmitter and GPS are tied together. The GPS issues causing the entire system go nuts. Most of us have been able to fly either green needles or white needles (non RNAV routes). Couple of our aircraft had to return to the field due to not being picked up on radar (ie the XPDR went completely out).

Mix that with the WX in the south east and it’s made for a “fun” weekend.

Beefy McGee

Maybe in your avionics system, but many others do white/magenta for satellite/inertial navigation, green for ground-based. Others have white for enroute (like yours it seems), others do green for everything and just annunciate the source.

It’s one area that manufactures have not standardized on, even moreso in older systems.
Yeah, but they are talking about CRJs. Lots of folks who fly CRJs with the Collins 4000 series think no GPS = must do green needles. White can do ground based radio or GPS.

thevideographer

Yeah, but they are talking about CRJs. Lots of folks who fly CRJs with the Collins 4000 series think no GPS = must do green needles. White can do ground based radio or GPS.
You would think so, but ours said “FMS DR >5 MIN” and had no idea where it was. The it worked intermittently in cruise when it got a GPS signal. The waiver we got to fly was also contingent on being filed non-RNAV.