What's up with PSA?

CPZ9900

They have slowed their rate of growth, therefore they don’t need to hire constantly. Most of the people that work there are lifers that will never leave.

I wouldn't say everyone is a lifer... There are a few at the top of the list, I can think of 5-6 off the top of my head. We just brought one person in to make it 31 once he's trained right now, hoping to get to 34 or 35 at some point in the future. We're taking one ENY 700 a month right now, and if we can staff it, that could bump to two. AA also has options on 16 more 900s that would more than likely come to us.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jbhems520

Interviewed a little less than 3 months ago, actually got the offer letter a few days ago. Hadn't heard a peep until now. Which, they did say that while they are slowly but surely growing, they were taking on people as it went along. If anyone is wondering, starting pay is 15.60/hr. Not too shabby for a regional, I would think. I know Envoy is starting around 14-something an hour, so is GoJet - Endeavor - AirWisconsin. I want to say Mesa is too but I'm not for sure on that one.

FM-2 Fan

I know someone who works at GoJet, and he told me starting pay is $16/hr over there. $15.60/hour for Dayton would be a decent wage with the reasonable cost of living out there.

FM-2 Fan

Interviewed a little less than 3 months ago, actually got the offer letter a few days ago. Hadn't heard a peep until now. Which, they did say that while they are slowly but surely growing, they were taking on people as it went along. If anyone is wondering, starting pay is 15.60/hr. Not too shabby for a regional, I would think. I know Envoy is starting around 14-something an hour, so is GoJet - Endeavor - AirWisconsin. I want to say Mesa is too but I'm not for sure on that one.
Was your interview in person or via Skype?

FM-2 Fan

Well look at it this way, would you rather enjoy being at the top of the seniority list for a regional or start all over at the bottom at a major?
I guess it depends on QOL, how you like the area, etc. That said, I'd GLADLY start over at a major, because you make a lot more money for a lot less work. You can make $5,000 every two weeks while only having 20 flights per shift, at most, to worry about. At a regional, you'll be lucky to earn $15-$16 an hour while doing 45 flights or more!

DogwoodLynx

I guess it depends on QOL, how you like the area, etc. That said, I'd GLADLY start over at a major, because you make a lot more money for a lot less work. You can make $5,000 every two weeks while only having 20 flights per shift, at most, to worry about. At a regional, you'll be lucky to earn $15-$16 an hour while doing 45 flights or more!
Definitely depends on goals. Honestly, from what I’ve been told by people at places like Alaska (mid-majors?) and some Supplemental companies, smaller 121 shops might be a better deal.

They still pay very well (maybe still less than major but more than the regionals) but it’s easier to take on other duties and quals instead of sitting at a desk because the seniority list is 30 years long and full (if that’s what you want). At lot of them are in fairly affordable places that I, personally, would move to.

FM-2 Fan

Definitely depends on goals. Honestly, from what I’ve been told by people at places like Alaska (mid-majors?) and some Supplemental companies, smaller 121 shops might be a better deal.

They still pay very well (maybe still less than major but more than the regionals) but it’s easier to take on other duties and quals instead of sitting at a desk because the seniority list is 30 years long and full (if that’s what you want). At lot of them are in fairly affordable places that I, personally, would move to.
Those are all good points, points I think about all the time as I ponder my next step.

pljenkins

Resident Knucklehead
There are lifers there? There are lifers at regional airlines?
You'd be surprised how many guys there are who are lifers at the regionals. I personally know a bunch at Air Wisconsin who aren't planning on going anywhere. They love it in Appleton and it's definitely an affordable place with what they pay. I personally would be terminally stressed out in that environment. Not so much because of where I live and what I make, but the fact that a place like Air Wisconsin is one contract away from disappearing. ZW has cheated death a few times in the last decade and a half!

womanpilot73

There are lifers there? There are lifers at regional airlines?
Well look at it this way, would you rather enjoy being at the top of the seniority list for a regional or start all over at the bottom at a major?
Personally, I’d absolutely start over! Not just for the money and the challenge of what comes with working at a major, but because of the uncertainty and instability of regionals and supplemental airlines. Just look at the number that have disappeared in the last 7 years. I started at one that went belly up after being in business for 41 years. Sad, sad day and stressful going through that whole process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1TAPE

Could Endeavor possibly face the same fate as Comair? CVG had a base where Delta literally left an airport with a whole terminal vacant after they gutted Comair. This is because Delta still owned the gates. Whats to say the same thing wont happen to Endeavor?

FM-2 Fan

Personally, I’d absolutely start over! Not just for the money and the challenge of what comes with working at a major, but because of the uncertainty and instability of regionals and supplemental airlines. Just look at the number that have disappeared in the last 7 years. I started at one that went belly up after being in business for 41 years. Sad, sad day and stressful going through that whole process.

What she said!

What she said!
You say that cause of the situation you're in, but what happens when your entire livelihood is in the place you've been for years? Makes you really have to think about it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

FM-2 Fan

You'd be surprised how many guys there are who are lifers at the regionals. I personally know a bunch at Air Wisconsin who aren't planning on going anywhere. They love it in Appleton and it's definitely an affordable place with what they pay. I personally would be terminally stressed out in that environment. Not so much because of where I live and what I make, but the fact that a place like Air Wisconsin is one contract away from disappearing. ZW has cheated death a few times in the last decade and a half!
Then it seems to me that the best bet would be to get on with a regional that's owned by a major, someone like PSA. A major isn't going to cut their own airline's traffic; they'll cut the affiliate's traffic first.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
Then it seems to me that the best bet would be to get on with a regional that's owned by a major, someone like PSA. A major isn't going to cut their own airline's traffic; they'll cut the affiliate's traffic first.
That's exactly what happened with comair. Majors only care about the bottom line. Making a career at a regional is very risky these days IMO.