1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the hardest part of flying

Discussion in 'Flight Academies and Fixed Base Operators (FBO)' started by Sid, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Sid

Sid New Member

Hi,

I would just like to get an idea as to what is the hardest part of flying or what students have a hard time learning from an instructor's standpoint. This will help me prepare well before I arrive. Like I'm sure Instrument Flying is hard in itself. Is there anything else? Steep turns? Any flight concepts?

Since I will mostly be going on with my instructor ratings and then teaching, what should I keep in mind to become a first class FSI instructor and live up to the school's reputation :).

Sid.

2. USMC-SSGT

USMC-SSGT Well-Known Member

from a cfi...the things my students had problems with

1. "getting" landings ie. just seeing the picture, it takes some time and practice

2. all of the bookwork, for every hour you fly you need at LEAST that studying and learning all that you can in regards to your airplane and the environment you work in

3. flows...knowing what to check and when to check it and in which order it just takes time to memorize

4. not so much the maneuvers but getting into them. When I say "ok, show me slow flight" the student usually doesnt know exactly how to get into it and which power settings to use and when to put in flaps or drop the gear. Same applies for all manuevers.

that is basically it that I have found, some have more difficulties than others but these were pretty universal. You get out of it what you put into it

3. the_dmn8tr

the_dmn8tr New Member

I don't find it particularly hard. After some training it is really fun and a lot easier than VFR. As soon as you get the "big picture" and can maintain situational awareness is a piece of cake. As for getting the "big picture," I am sure it depends on the person as to how long it takes.

4. Sid

Sid New Member

Thanks for your replies :). Yes I always thought landings were a test of skill and also about, the checklists and flows, they take some time too. I'm an engineering grad so I will try to understand the whys, when, what and hows.. makes the memorization part easier I guess..

Sid.

5. Check_Six

Check_Six Well-Known Member

Sometimes the hardest part of flight training is remembering to have fun! Checkrides and exams can seem stressful at times, but if you prepare well and step back to truly enjoy the great moments (i.e. first smooth landing, initial solo, initial solo xc, etc) the experience will be that much more fulfilling.

As for becoming a "first-class instructor"...I can go on forever about what I think makes a truly great flight instructor, but I'll give you a few examples I consider very important:

- Never feel that you've learned it all. You can always learn new things and/or reexamine topics for greater mastery. Your students will benefit (and hopefully emulate!) your hunger for knowledge.

- ALWAYS be willing to seek out the advice and assistance of other instructors...preferably those you look up to for their experience and knowledge. Never allow pride or your eventual mountain of experience to prevent you from conferring with other instructors for help with your own knowlege, or for strategies to teach a challenging student. If you work at a place like FSI, then the check airmen and chief pilots can be excellent resources for teaching techniques.

- Don't just focus on getting the knowledge...also learn how to TEACH. You can start this process on day one! Teaching is very different from just telling them about a topic/maneuver. Teaching involves using every resource at your disposal to help them truly understand the topic at hand. This means getting creative and presenting knowledge in a way that builds from what they know into what they don't know. Look at it this way, if you can eventually "teach" your instructor about the topics he/she covers with you throughout training, then oral and written exams should be pretty easy, right? The key ideas you will need to focus on to be a good teacher are these:

Always take students (and yourself) from...

1. Known-to-unknown
    2. Simple-to-complex

(Note: These concepts become familiar to you when you tackle "Fundamentals of Instructing" in initial-CFI groundschool. The reason I bring this up before you've even started primary training is because these concepts can also help YOU learn all the material you will eventually teach. Learning is best accomplished when built upon previous knowledge, and tackling complex topics by first addressing them as smaller blocks of knowledge.)

You don't have to wait until CFI training to get yourself in a good mindset for being a teacher. Start building your CFI lesson plan binder from day one. If you are unfamiliar with this, then ask your instructor. See if he/she can give you guidance for creating this valuable tool from day one.

Last, but not least, if you are not already a patient person...become one ;)

I know this is a long post, but hopefully it will help you start this endeavour. I treat the job of a CFI very seriously because I was actively teaching for six years, and now fly in the regionals with the products of both good and poor teachers.

Best of luck to you!!!

6. Sid

Sid New Member

Thanks for the ton of info. It was very helpful. I will keep these in mind!

Sid.

7. JrsyGuy

JrsyGuy Well-Known Member

Flying the airplane itself isnt inherently all that difficult. What makes it a challege and a reward is knowing and i guess further understanding all the details. There is such an absolute wealth of knowledge to come your way. Keep reading and ask questions because again just knowing is only going to get you so far but when you can actually explain and interpret that information and put it into practice makes it a whole lot more enjoyable.

8. aloft

aloft New Member

The hardest part of flying? Fighting off the chicks. :D

9. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Consistency as refers to “when a person responds in an identical manner when presented with multiple identical situations.”

10. RickJames

RickJames Impressive Member

[​IMG]

...but thinking happy thoughts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 15:33
  11. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

Hardest part of flying is learning when not to fly while also being professional enough to complete flights that are possible.

Judgment is what makes flying tough, the rest is just practice and muscle memory.

killbilly likes this.
  12. Stone Cold

Stone Cold Well-Known Member

The hardest part of flying...well two things actually:

1. Keeping the coffee hot.

2. Not necroposting on a topic last posted on 9 years and 2 months ago...:D

Blue Skies 4me and RickJames like this.
  13. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

Figuring out what to do with all the money.

14. ShyFlyer

ShyFlyer CAP Member

Figuring out WHERE to GET all the money. ;)

15. drunkenbeagle

drunkenbeagle Gang Member

"It's my money, and I WANT IT NOW"