What shifts/hours do you work?

elbowroom

I'm curious to hear. And do you enjoy it or at least find it tolerable? Is it hard adapting to a night shift?

flynryan692

I pretty much prefer to work between 6 AM and Noon, so I have a 6 hour window that is ok. Outside of my preferences it depends on how late/ early it is for it to be tolerable. I feel like 1PM shifts are ok but do seem to drag for me, however it was hard to adapt my sleep schedule when I worked 3 PM shifts. I was waking up at my usual 6/7/8 AM but working until 1 AM, that's brutal and I questioned if I was "fit for duty" several times that bid. Early mornings are only ever an issue because my kids make it difficult to go to bed early, I can do them if I need to but I try to avoid them if I can.

CF34-3B1

I’m a night owl so I prefer the 1500-2300 shift but 1400-2200 is good too. I tend to try to stay away from anything else. I know a lot of people want those AMs soooo bad. Maybe as my kids get older I’ll change my mind but I think the PM life is for me for now

Bobber

AMs if I can. 0400-1400, I can pick the kiddo up from school and get a normal sleep schedule, see the family ect.
Then overnights. 1800-0800 3x days a week. Love the 4 days off and love that there's no management at night and can make all the decisions myself. It is tough adjusting on those days off. I usually just stay up starting the weekend and sleep in the day I start my overnights.
PM shift is the worst for me. 1400-0000. Off by midnight kids and everyone else are asleep. I can't seem to get up really early and by time you know it it's time to go to work.
Comes down to personal preference, workload, days off, social life.

crjdxr

Whale watching over SCUPP
Currently on reserve so whatever is needed, unfortunately.

In general I do much better on PM shifts. When I worked 2a/3a/4a starts, I was late at least one or two shifts per week. Couldn't get off that mess fast enough.

Mindsage25

Currently on reserve so whatever is needed, unfortunately.

In general I do much better on PM shifts. When I worked 2a/3a/4a starts, I was late at least one or two shifts per week. Couldn't get off that mess fast enough.
can they swap you from one shift to another in the same week? At my shop we can work a graveyard to an AM to a PM back to the Grave all in the same week. Doesn’t help with having any sort of consistent sleep schedule. Just did a week of graveyard shifts with not much time off straight into a long stretch of AM starts. Rough.

Interested in what other shops do for reserve lines.

Nakruh01

10 hr shift on a 4-4 schedule. Really loving the long weekends, downside I work nights so 2000-0600.

Delta Echo

I work 1045-2045 and really enjoy the hours and days off I hold. Personally I am an afternoon/evening type so an earlier start would be hard on me.

DogwoodLynx

I like early AM shifts starting between 3 am and 6 am. Being done with work by mid day is awesome!

I'd also take an overnight shift if an opportunity arose.

Working a PM shift feels like a day wasted and an endless cycle of wake, work, sleep.

Delta Echo

I like early AM shifts starting between 3 am and 6 am. Being done with work by mid day is awesome!

I'd also take an overnight shift if an opportunity arose.

Working a PM shift feels like a day wasted and an endless cycle of wake, work, sleep.
The thing is an early morning start would leave me like a zombieo_O Work, go home and straight to bed, wake up after sunset and not get any more rest before going back to work. Not my cup of tea, but others are welcome to it.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
I've worked afternoon shifts for years now (1400-2200.) It's a bit of a social life killer, especially since my days of the week off rotate (since clubs, meetings, softball games, etc. all happen during the early evening hours) but it works best for my internal body clock by far. Plus, when I need to run errands before work, the stores are almost always not busy (unless I'm doing errands on a weekend.) I will occasionally work morning shifts (0600-1400) for overtime but not very often. Traffic getting to and from work is a LOT worse on that shift, especially driving home, and I like waking up to no alarm clock. I did work midnight shifts for a year in order to get a line, back when I first started at my current carrier, but I don't miss them at all and haven't worked one for years, even for OT. I can never sleep well during the day and they leave me quite grumpy after the shift ends. And for everyone who says the ultra early AM starts (0300, 0400, etc.) are super rough, I totally agree! To me that is the worst type of shift ever, more unpleasant than an ordinary midnight shift by far.

DogwoodLynx

I
The thing is an early morning start would leave me like a zombieo_O Work, go home and straight to bed, wake up after sunset and not get any more rest before going back to work. Not my cup of tea, but others are welcome to it.
I don’t usually go to bed right after work when I work early mornings but I do go to bed 9 pm at the latest.

I should add that I’m single and live alone.

van12

I've heard of SWA dispatchers working 2 weeks and then having 2 weeks off. Do you have to have seniority to do this.

FlyingSioux1

I've heard of SWA dispatchers working 2 weeks and then having 2 weeks off. Do you have to have seniority to do this.
That's not uncommon. I know people at various places working stuff like 8 on 6 off, or 8 on 8 off and even longer ones. Some are pretty junior too. Just takes some planning with the person opposite of your days.

CF34-3B1

Actually it’s quite easy for someone junior at swa to work two weeks in a row and get two weeks off. In the beginning you are on “reserve” so they woke you the max amount during the busy months which leaves October November December pretty open. You have to work the 2 weeks on either side of thanksgiving and Christmas but the beginning of the month is light and with some vacation or trades it is very easy to get 2-3 weeks off

IJD

I work 8 on 6 off 0245 to 1245. I do not mind it. In nice and early and hopefully on my Friday I'm on the crew bus by 1300 heading to the airport to catch a flight.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
This is pretty much what happened to me whenever I worked one of them. So I'm glad I don't have to do that any more, unless it's by choice for an OT shift or swap.