What did I hear on the radio?

djh1007

Flying Squirrel Trainee
Yesterday I was out practicing maneuvers in preparation for my CFI practical, And I kept hearing strange broadcast over the radio.

I was broadcasting and listening to an unpublished frequency that is used for several local "practice areas". I heard things like "Hotel4" answered by "mike 3", then a "tango 8". All the letters and numbers seemed random to me, and there were multiple voices heard, all in rapid succession.

I assume this was some sort of military training? But why wouldn't they be using VHF?

Anyway, I was just curious, and figured this would be a good place to ask.

Hacker15e

Dunning–Kruger Observer
Sounds like ground-based folks talking....military units sometimes use VHF for their own communication. Could also, though, be any number of organizations talking to one another -- power company crews, police or fire units, etc.

Reactions: GX

GX

If any of it WAS recognizable, what was it? Were there callsigns? Where were you?

moxiepilot

You'll also hear that with formation flights responding "2," "3," "4," (by the pilots of airplanes 2, 3, and 4) in acknowledgement of the flight leader that they have heard the ATC or other instruction.

GX

You'll also hear that with formation flights responding "2," "3," "4," (by the pilots of airplanes 2, 3, and 4) in acknowledgement of the flight leader that they have heard the ATC or other instruction.
That's generally done on the same freq that ATC is on. On the check-in, you'll hear, "2,3,4" and then the call... "Tower, SHAD110, flight of 4, ......" If they were working one of the MOA's or the ranges, that's usually UHF, but (I think) helos use VHF from time to time. If there was other vebage associated with it, it sounds like the bits & pieces of ground based tac comms. If it was just random stuff like he said, I have no idea....

vheissu

Sometimes ramp crews use aviation radios to talk to the flight crew through push backs. I always used to hear guys in San Diego on 122.9. "Cleared to push bravo 4" "disconnect" and stuff like that.

Inigo Montoya

Not too long ago, I heard what seemed like some guard/military training or fire support type training on an AWOS frequency in the lower VHF range. I was a bit far out for the station I had tuned in, and the helicopters and ground ops were crystal clear until I got close enough to the airport for the AWOS broadcast to overpower it. It was strange, but kind of neat to listen to.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
"I'd like to make hotel reservations for 4, under Mike plus 3, and pencil us in for the 8PM dance class".

Seems pretty obvious.

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
This one was pretty weird. Thought I was going to get shot down or something. This is in SoCal, not Afghanistan.
Jump ahead to 6:10, this forum software doesn't allow me to do that.