Well seems like I'm returning to professional flying after 5 years.

Snow

'Not a new member'
Well after another military related move across the country, our local AFB is starting up a brand new aero club and they want me as 'chief flight instructor'. I always thought instructing was fun, so I figured why not? Now I get to jump through the fun hoops with the FAA to get my special issuance 1st class medical cert back. I don't know many details other than they are apparently getting Cessna 182s. I've actually never flown a high wing aircraft before, so the first few landings should be interesting. I've never had to do a bi-annual flight review either! (least not on the receiving end) After 4000hrs of flying jets it's certainly going to be interesting going back to a piston single. I'll have to try to remember not to cut the power at 100ft or flare at 30ft lol I'll post more as I get more details. Wish me luck!

ahw01

Awesome whereabouts are you based? I've wanted to get more into aero club flying on my US trips. I do some teaching for ERAU in Europe.

Alex.

Snow

'Not a new member'
My AME tells me special issuance is the same hoops regardless the class, I've always had a 1st class so figured might as well keep the trend going. Actually he said the FAA starts asking questions if you decided to opt for a lower class too. Plus who knows, maybe the flying bug will hit me hard enough I'll consider 121 flying again lol

z987k

My AME tells me special issuance is the same hoops regardless the class, I've always had a 1st class so figured might as well keep the trend going. Actually he said the FAA starts asking questions if you decided to opt for a lower class too. Plus who knows, maybe the flying bug will hit me hard enough I'll consider 121 flying again lol
Opt for Basic med or no medical if you won't be PIC. Much easier.

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
Glad to see big blue is starting new aero clubs. I was sad to hear the one in Osan shut down years back. It was always busy, but must’ve been operating at a loss.