Welcome....

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_Money

I just want to welcome everyone to ask any question regarding training in Europe, and I will try my best to answer them for you.

bluebaaron

Hey Iain..good topic.
I was wondering what the process would entail if one were US trained, but wanted to eventually fly for a Euro line...say LH CityLine or something similar. What would the JAA require, or is it Airline specific?

appreciate any input!

(by the way I am not continuing with the 100/hr 152.. and looking for a better deal)

**DONOTDELETE**

Iain,

Good idea!! I have the same question about being trained in the States (FAA tickets vs. JAA tickets).
Any input would be appreciated!

thanks, nosser

I_Money

Well not conisdering the right to live and work in Europe you will have to:
If you have under 800 hours you will basically start again. You will have to take a certified course which is (or alteast was) called 509. This course is design to teach you to fly right seat. It takes 18 months, and includes 200 hours flight time, and all the ground to take the numerous (13) written tests. It cost about $50,000 but after it you are ready to start applying.

If you have over 800 hours, you only have to take the written test and checkrides, not the flying portion of he course. There is a self study written test course, however it is very hard, your elternative is a regular ground school. There is nothing like the gliem where you can study your questions, you certainly have to know you stuff. The checkrides will be very similar to the FAA ones, although there are some differences flying in Europe so you will need some time to adjust to the changes.

hellmuth

Hello out there!
I'm an American citizen although I currently live in Germany (I am married to a German citizen). I wanted to begin an ab-initio professional pilot course here in Europe but was repulsed by the astronomically high costs (the lowest offer I could find here in Germany is the equivalent of about $60,000)! Because there is no way I can raise that amount of money here in Europe, I wanted to train at the much lower costs offered in the U.S. where I could also recieve student loans and, if necessary, a co-signer. Much to my disapointment, I found that the conversion of an FAA approved CPL certificate into a JAA licence is practically impossible (atleast 1000 hours PIC in airline planes are required, and instructor time does not count). Needless to say, I'm pretty angry that such conversions are made to be so difficult, due only to the fact that the governing authorities here want to avoid losing potential money spenders to schools in America! Does anyone have any suggestions as to paying for flight training here in Europe? I feel like a career as a professional pilot in Europe is being unfairly and intentionaly blocked! Thanks for any help!

I_Money

There are a couple things to consider. Firstly if you where able to get all your ratings in the US how much money would the European flights schools loose? Also the training is some what different as over here, as you have a lot more ground school and much less flying, when the US is the other way around!

Status
Not open for further replies.