Weird Alaska Air turn back after block out

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
"You have 13 days off a month? Wow!"

"Dude, that's the minimum they can award me, and it sucks."

Also, enjoy your 30 day coma, because that's what it'd take me to recover from that.
Out of curiosity, with 13 days off a month how much if that is on average at home? Assuming you live in base

n156499000

Titanius Anglesmith
Out of curiosity, with 13 days off a month how much if that is on average at home? Assuming you live in base
When I lived in base, 13 days off meant 13 full days at home, more time than that actually as I was decently able to hold late starts and early finishes so often times I wouldn’t have to leave for work until noon and often was home before 3pm at the end of a trip. I also tended to work two day trips back to back so I usually still had 5 nights a week at home. Never liked locals because of how long my drive to the airport was.

Commuting for me 13 days off means somewhere between 13 and 9 depending on whether I’m able to get home the same day as a trip ends and if I can commute in on day one or if I have to go the night before. The length of the commute and/or the number of flight options greatly affects the number of nights at home. It also depends on if I can stack my days off to have 3-4 at a time or if PBS blesses me with only two days off between work blocks.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
Well that’s what I’m trying to figure out because 13 days off at home every month sounds awesome. I get 4 days off a month.
Well, you're also making bank doing that and you sleep in your own bed every night. Gotta factor in the time away from base to figure out a more appropriate equivalent, but yeah hard days off rule and probably the number one reason I'd never fly 135.

Autothrust Blue

The frakkin’ CAG
My FO right now said he's been crediting 120s-140s most months with one or two days off, probably going to get him a month off at least for the 1,000. Sounds nice but damn... just not worth it to me, you'd be a zombie the rest of the year.
He’s not getting a month off.

Tell him to go read the PPM again.

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
Well that’s what I’m trying to figure out because 13 days off at home every month sounds awesome. I get 4 days off a month.
Well, yeah. I live in base, and get 15-17 days off a month and each of those is at home. My last job (military) I had about 6 off a month. This is far better. However, like someone else mentioned, time away from base (time not at home) is quite a bit more than with a regular job. A lot of your "off" time is at some hotel somewhere.

JordanD

Honorary Member
I commute cross country to reserve because I'm a special kind of stupid. Oddly enough December worked out to 13 days in a bed that belonged to me. 6 in my actual bed on the west coast, the rest either with the folks who live closer to base or in hotels on mini-vacations. The 4 hour flight back home to the west coast with 2 days off ends up being 24 hours or so at home and usually isn't worth it, so I only see that place a few days a month.

nabbyfan

I’ve worked 600 hours of overtime this year and y’all aren’t allowed to work 1000 hours a YEAR?! I made a terrible mistake in my life decisions.
600 hours of OT? Holy smokes I can’t even imagine. 2 hours holdover every day really is true out there isn’t it? I worked 350 ish hours of OT out here and already feel like I live at work.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
600 hours of OT? Holy smokes I can’t even imagine. 2 hours holdover every day really is true out there isn’t it? I worked 350 ish hours of OT out here and already feel like I live at work.
Yeah I work more 10 hour days then 8 hour days

Screaming_Emu

Dogsheep
I’ve worked 600 hours of overtime this year and y’all aren’t allowed to work 1000 hours a YEAR?! I made a terrible mistake in my life decisions.
To be fair, that’s not 1000 hours AT work, but gate to gate. There’s way more hours spent AT work that are neither counted nor paid.

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
I've never flown the 737 but I can't imagine spending 1000 block hours a year in that cockpit.

Throw in boarding+deplaning and it'd be 1100-1200 hours. Way too much time sitting in that environment.
Just from spending time in the jumpseat it seems far better than anything I have flown. Plus the better paycheck.