1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volunteering for ALPA

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by Cloud Surfer, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Cloud Surfer

Cloud Surfer Slinger of the Gear

Let's say that someone (like me) wants to volunteer for ALPA (for a plethora of reasons), and has not the slightest idea how to go about it. Whom should that person contact, and how should the request for volunteering be best handled? Lastly, does it matter whether or not said person flies for an airline that is non-ALPA?

2. Dphoenix

Dphoenix Love lasagna, hate mondays

This process can vary by your airline, so I would simply contact your MEC chair to find out how to get started and find a good fit for you... if you fly for a non ALPA airline, then yeahhhh I don't really see how or why you'd volunteer unless it was for something like CIRP where ALPA will provide training to non-ALPA because a CIRP program should exist at every airline whether you're ALPA or not... </soapbox rant>

3. Cloud Surfer

I am at SkyWest, thus no ALPA. I would like to become involved with advocacy issues for ALPA national headquarted in D.C., especially safety and security matters. I just don't know how to reach out to them.

4. jynxyjoe

jynxyjoe The Kickin' Chicken!

@Seggy ?

I have no idea man. Maybe smeagolhuffuns will know.

5. Zapphod Beblebrox

Zapphod Beblebrox Well-Known Member

1. Find a copy of the ALPA magazine.
    2. Find a national committee you are interested in
    3. Find the national chairman of that committee and call him. Explain what it is you are trying to do. He will most likely help you out.

Oh, by the way. Bless you for volunteering. The union, any union, needs more like you who will simply step up and volunteer. When you answer the call like this before you know it you become an expert in your chosen realm of service and people reach out to you for information and advise. That's what union voluntary service is all about.

6. Acrofox

Acrofox All fox

Huh! And here I thought it was about making your application more appealing to a major airline!

The more you know...

-Fox

Skåning likes this.
  7. Cloud Surfer

Wouldn't ALPA actually make one's resume look worse? Since someone is willing to help out a union which actively works against management at times, where is the incentive for a major airline to hire said person? I'm not sure that I would want to list that in the volunteer section of airline apps.

Anyhow, I am very interested in the safety/NTSB aspect of ALPA.

Acrofox likes this.
  8. Seggy

Seggy Well-Known Member

You can't volunteer for ALPA unless you are a member.

Nope. The opposite as a matter of fact.

Skåning and ClarkGriswold like this.
  9. jynxyjoe

jynxyjoe The Kickin' Chicken!

No. Hr welcomes all volunteering.

And safety/ntsb are the most sought after positions. So if you're passionate about it find some other way to volunteer or come work at an alpa carrier. Skywest must have some sort of volunteer group for safety related functions.

10. Cloud Surfer

Thanks for the responses. And yeah, I'll keep looking for something.

Oddly enough, the nearest approximate to ALPA that we have and by no means a union (SAPA) does not utilize volunteers. Shame, really.

11. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

Volunteering is gooooood.

Volunteering for ALPA is greeeeeeeeat.

Sitting on your rump in the left seat, doing nothing else, slowly balding and bitching that you don't have melanin or boobs and that's why the phone isn't ringing is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

RORO, Toobdrvr, bLizZuE and 4 others like this.
  12. B767

B767 Well-Known Member

Do man boobs count? Or does one lose the ability to argue about not having boobs if you have man boobs?

Screaming_Emu and JordanD like this.
  13. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

There IS a medical! ha! :)

14. Dphoenix

Dphoenix Love lasagna, hate mondays

#triggered
    incoming huge rant cause that's my thing, I guess..

I wouldn't say we "actively work against management". There are certainly committees that have a more adversarial role, such as negotiating, but I have to definitely say that "actively working against management" is an (unintentional) mischaracterization of what most ALPA volunteers do. Even the negotiating committee... well they're just doing their job and hopefully can achieve something both the pilots and management can live with.
    But my three committees I am involved with... which is not what I was trying to do, but um, small airline with high turnover, once people figure out you're willing to volunteer your time it's hard not to get sucked in.. I'll just give you a day in the life.
    CIRP... Critical Incident Response Program. We are trying to make sure pilots that have had a major event stay safe, happy, and healthy. This saves the company a bunch of money on an ERP/mental health professionals that pilots /absolutely will not use anyway/. We definitely are not replacements, but pilots won't go see a therapist or counselor and they aren't going to be useful when a pilot is really having trouble reliving an accident over and over in their head. So we provide the only thing that is actually going to help them, at zero cost to the company, and there is data backing up that CIRP program avoids sick calls and other employee problems that can often crop up after an accident. Especially at the regional level, if we were to have an accident we would have allllll kinds of ALPA national support with CIRP teams from other airlines because realistically we are too small to have enough for something really major, and I think most pilots would say that's really valuable. CIRP has also consulted for non-ALPA entities when they've had airplane accidents... just having this structure in place means that people are available. It's not just about helping ALPA people.

Pairing Analysis/Scheduling... I chair this now, so I just had a friendly meeting with management. I again don't see our role as adversarial at all... the company wants efficient pairings as much as we do because they're cheap. Having us sit in a hotel for 30 hours is not more cheap or efficient for them.... nor is a 4 hr SFO sit. However, they also need to build a certain amount of commutable trips, etc, because they can't make money if the pilots can't show up on time, they end up burning reserves, etc.. there's a really fine balance and I don't see any reason why we can't give suggestions to the company and get a few more ideas and sets of eyes on how things are. If we have a terribly crappy fatiguing CDO with issues, maybe we suggest it become a 30 hr overnight to the company and yeah it'll cost them a little more but they might be willing to do it because we don't complain too much about the other crappy redeyes that could be built less efficiently at a higher cost. Give and take on everything, but 85% of our goals are in alignment.

ERC/ASAP.... this is the only one I do that can be a little more adversarial, but still, not really? Pilot screws up, pilot puts in report, if the issue is something management needs to fix... well.. then it's something management needs to fix, even if it costs money, if the risk assessment is there. Sometimes ASAP is gonna reveal a dispatch or maintenance or other issue. But still, this is a collaborative process between the company, the FAA and the union... I'm there to represent the pilot's side, so yea the FAA or company may have a different take. If the pilot did screw the pooch bad enough, now we can step in and try and address it with the pilot, protecting their cert but keeping the company and FAA's hands clean.

Once I can find volunteers to train up as my replacement I'm gonna try to draw down to just two committees (ASAP/CIRP) since I find the safety stuff more exciting than endless Excel spreadsheets, but unfortunately that's kind of how this ends up working out as a small company where you offer to help and then everybody leaves and you're stuck holding the bag. I still fly a full line so that's all I really care about, I'm not interested in doing anything that takes me away from line flying. I can't speak highly enough of ALPA/ALPA national though, everybody should have a chance to do something w/ ALPA at their regional and it gives me a better idea of what I might want to do at mainline and how important these programs are. Also, you get some idea of where your dues actually go, so that's nice.

15. Acrofox

Acrofox All fox

Mine are growing! ^~^

I'm waiting by the phone...

~Fox

16. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

So thaaaats what it's all about :D

Acrofox likes this.
  17. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

Check out the CIRP program at SkyWest. It is easily the best training I've experienced between the three ALPA committees I volunteer with.

18. Quarryman

Quarryman Well-Known Member

All boobs will be verified for size and gender authenticity at time of interview should you pass the personality assessment. Any candidate misrepresenting boobs or personality will promptly receive a "double no" from the interview board.

#nottierone

19. trafficinsight

trafficinsight Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Acrofox likes this.
  20. roundout

roundout Bus Driver

My god am I tired of hearing this. "They're paying FOs at Delta what I'm making in the left seat!" "Yep. Have you applied?" "Well, I haven't kept up with my logbook since I upgraded...but I guarantee you if I was a female I'd have gotten called!"