USA Today article

panampilot

Did anybody read the USA Today paper? Today in the money section they had an article about how the airline pilot job isn't so glamorous these days. It highlighted a United FO who has seen a 40% decrease in pay. Pretty eye opening.

I would try to post the article here but I would be one of the unfortunate few who fail at doing so and there would be no link to the article. So, buy the paper!

aloft

By my calculations, the dude's still making $105k/yr, still pretty dang good considering he's only 31--speaking of which, he was a 777 FO at 31? Cry me a river! How ghetto to have to step down to a measly 767. Puh-lease.

I also thought the photo showing a (more or less) barren room was dramatic overkill--"look at us, we can't even afford furniture!"

The folks at USA Today need to do an article on the plight of regional FOs and the slave wages they're forced to work for.

panampilot

[ QUOTE ]
The folks at USA Today need to do an article on the plight of regional FOs and the slave wages they're forced to work for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't if funny how when everybody thinks of an airline pilot they immediately think of a Captain for a major. The regional airline pilots who are doing the majority of the grunt work and working for peanuts are never mentioned. I think if more Americans knew the starting wage for an F.O. at a regional they probably wouldn't think they were so overpaid.

HankHill

I think if more Americans knew the starting wage for an F.O. at a regional they probably wouldn't think they were so overpaid.

if they did know would the general public still fly?

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
therein - lies the question!!

it was a fairly good article - would have been better had they mentioned the regionals a bit more to show just how hard it is to become a pilot and just how these tough times really do hit - i have a feeling most people probably read the article and just kept rolling their eyes cuz "they still make more $$ than me" type attitude goes on constantly!!

mpenguin1

panampilot

They talked about the regional pilot and gave an example:

Allegheny Airlines pilot Bruce Freedman knows that life well. Freedman, 48, has worked for the US Airways Express regional carrier for 20 years, flying turboprops to small and midsize cities like Buffalo and Syracuse, N.Y., and Burlington, Vt. "People think we're making $250,000 a year and we're off half the month, but people here make $40,000 to $60,000," he says. "People at the regional airlines are actually everyday people."

It was not a bad articule, good information.

mpenguin1

Oh yeah, we all sterotype, when you hear of an actor/actress the first thought that comes to mind is Julia Robert or George Clooney and their $20 million pay day. Most actors/actress are broke working at bussing tables. Such is the sterotype of a pilot, makes lots of money and does no work.

cime_sp

Post-grad MBA student spends 50-60K to get his/her MBA and makes on average 75-80k a year after graduation!!!

Post-grad pilot candidate spends 50-60K to get his/her ratings and is LUCKY to find a $15/hour instructing job for the next 2 years....then get hired for around $25K a year to fly $10-20 million planes!

Is it not disconcerting to anybody else! Hell a New York City bus driver makes $24 and hour!!!!!!! That $50,000 a year (not even including overtime or night differential pay), and they don't even need a high school diploma.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
The interesting thing that my captain brought up during our last trip is that the dock workers that went on strike in LA last year can potentially earn more than a a pre-concession UAL 747 captain.

Or how MS riverboat/barge captains earn over $300,000/year.

But it's always the pilots fault, ya know!

I spent darned near $100,000 total after five years at ERAU, and didn't make more than $14,000 until I got hired 6 years later at Delta and suddenly I was born with a silver spoon. Hmm, ok.

ananoman

I recently read that there is a shortage of qualified auto mechanics. In the article a service manager in West Palm Beach said his BMW mechanics can make over 60k a year. These are not the average grease monkeys, but that is alot of money. I continually read in Aviation Week that there is a shortage of A&P mechanics. Since they are usually smart and know how to fix things they are leaving to get jobs at amusement parks, etc. for higher pay. How did aviation come to this?

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Aviation has always been like that. You have a relatively small group of "haves" and a much larger group of "have nots".

When I was a Beech 1900 FO at Skyway in the last few months prior to our strike, I had a passenger read me the riot act about how dare I threaten to go on strike because I probably made $250,000 per year and worked part time.

I couldn't take it anymore so I told the guy that I lived in rent-controlled housing with welfare moms and the occasional crackhead, made $14,400 and haven't seen more than 24 hours off at home in the past week -- and how I'd have to save for two months without eating in order to afford the MKE-BNA ticket he was traveling on.

Folks, get used to the angst directed at you. After a while, you learn to deal with it after a while!

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Doug, it's the same thing with many people thinking that mil pilots spend all their time just having fun and burning holes in the sky.

This job is the most work I've ever done in flying, with little time for any actual sit-back enjoyment in the cockpit.

MD

ready2fly

[ QUOTE ]
Folks, get used to the angst directed at you. After a while, you learn to deal with it after a while!

[/ QUOTE ]

After a while???? Hell, I'm dealing with it RIGHT NOW over in the squawk.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
Doug, it's the same thing with many people thinking that mil pilots spend all their time just having fun and burning holes in the sky.

This job is the most work I've ever done in flying, with little time for any actual sit-back enjoyment in the cockpit.

MD

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it interesting how all of these bozos built tract homes near Luke and now they're complaining about airplane noise? haha!

Those dorks should have been around when Luke was flying F-4's!

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
[Isn't it interesting how all of these bozos built tract homes near Luke and now they're complaining about airplane noise? haha!

Those dorks should have been around when Luke was flying F-4's!

[/ QUOTE ]

F-4.....talk about a plane that truly turned JP into noise.

Yeah, that's happening all over. When I flew traffic watch planes out of SDL from 92-94, noise abatement procedures were being implemented there almost every other month. Now, SDL even has a noise abatement 1-800 hotline; and no engine maintenance runs after certain hours. What a kiss-ass management.

I used to love it to hell on the mornings when I'd be preflighting at SDL at 0430, and a old Saberliner 40 or 20-series Lear, or even Discount Tire Company's Jetstar would start up and take off from 21 southwest right over the city, rattling everything in the process with the thunderous roar that lasted for a while during departure.

MD

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
These bozo's just to the northeast of KSDL built a subdivision right under the final approach to the runway there are like 400 noise related calls per month.

80% of those are from the same guy.

I still remember flying from PRC down here to do T&G's at SDL and there was N O T H I N G out here besides that minigolf place and a gas station.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]

I still remember flying from PRC down here to do T&G's at SDL and there was N O T H I N G out here besides that minigolf place and a gas station.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in the day, brother! Having Mike Polay giving me F-4 in the nam stories while I'm concentrating on just managing the crosswind.

There was nothing out there. You know, the homes that went up in the Frank Lloyd Wright/Pima road area in 1992? I wonder what those people think now there's a 101 freeway running through their nice SDL neighborhood.

BTW, Doug, did you ever see the Aerostar that smacked into the McDowells about a month ago?

MD