UPS to lay off 100 pilots

A300Capt

Freight Dawg
UPS to lay off 100 pilots
By Joshua Hammann, Associated Press, 2/7/2003
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) United Parcel Service will lay off 100 pilots by this fall, the Independent Pilots Association said Friday.

According to Capt. Bob Miller, the president of the Louisville-based pilots association, 19 UPS Airlines pilots were given 30-day notices on Friday. Another 81 pilots will be let go, Miller said.

UPS spokesman Mark Giuffre said the company is looking to complete the process by September.

''This decision is really based on two key issues,'' Giuffre said. ''The more modern aircraft only require two pilots. The older aircraft needed three pilots and that has created a surplus for us.''

The other issue is decrease in shipping volume, Giuffre said.

''We didn't really feel that this was a necessary step,'' Miller said. ''Domestic (service) has been a little flat but international has been going very well.''

UPS and the association, which represents 2,520 UPS pilots, has been negotiating a new contract since October 2002.

''This will have some bearing on the negotiations,'' Miller said. ''It's another issue that comes into play.''

The pilots' contract falls under the National Railway Labor Act and does not expire, but reaches what is called an ''amendable date,'' when provisions are subject to change, on Dec. 31. It's not uncommon for contract talks to continue for years past the amendable date. Strikes can be authorized only as a last resort.

Giuffre said the layoffs, which the company has been considering for months, have nothing to do with the current contract situation.

''Over the last year and a half the economy has been relatively stagnant,'' he said. ''We've been working with the union closely to try to minimize this impact. We do not take a decision like reduction in staff very lightly.''

A300Capt

Freight Dawg
[ QUOTE ]
By saying the pilots will be "layed off", does this mean furloughed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's what it means.

Amazingly, a company that makes BILLIONS of dollars a year in the worst of economical times, international growth in the double digits, JA calls and reserve utilizations at an all time high and they feel a need to furlough. Hmmmm.....can we say, "Contract negotiations and scare tactics?"

UPS claims it to be a cost cutting measure. Out of 300,000+ worldwide employees and they choose to lay off 100 pilots to save money? Gotta wonder about the timing of such an announcement!

I_Money

Capt. do you think this is due to the contract negotiations that are taking place? It seems very fishy to me, as you said UPS is certainly not doing too bad.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems very fishy to me, as you said UPS is certainly not doing too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...fishy at the very least. It doesn't seem very ethical to pick and choose which labor groups (in this case, pilots) are going to pay for the company's so called tough times. I don't know a thing about labor law, but it seems to me that these tactics would be illegal. I believe that management ought to be required to prove that they've exhausted all other options before using the furlough. And when that furlough comes, it should be distributed throughout the labor groups.

I_Money

>>It doesn't seem very ethical to pick and choose which labor groups (in this case, pilots) are going to pay for the company's so called tough times<<

Well they need all the mechanics they have to keep the Whales flying!! From what I hear those birds are hanger queens! Not the same level of queens we have around here, damn Graham Norton seems straight!

A300Capt

Freight Dawg
[ QUOTE ]
Capt. do you think this is due to the contract negotiations that are taking place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Y-E-P!

mtsu_av8er

I know it doesn't seem like much....but 100 pilots making $79,000 / year - that saves the company 7.9 million dollars / year. That's only salary and doesn't include the COSTS of being an employer. If you don't need them, there's no need to keep them!

A300Capt

Freight Dawg
The problem is that these pilots ARE needed. JA calls and reserve utilization are at an all time high. Scheduling scrambles everyday to cover trips. Manage pilots are put on super secret emergency reserve callout by the company because we're short on line crews.

Possibly 300+ of are pilots may be called up for military duty if war breaks out (some have already left), not to mention the CRAF program requirements for trip coverage above normal daily business requirements.

The company is still interviewing/hiring management pilots. Why are they doing that and why haven't any current management pilots already on the property received furlough notices? Why haven't any other of UPS's 350,000 worldwide employees been given firlough notices along with the pilots?

Do you really think laying off 100 pilots out of 350,000 worldwide employees will make a dent in saving the company money? How much do service failure cost when trips aren't covered? Why does a company making $$ BILLIONS in profits in spite of a down economy need to lay anyone off?

There's much more to it than what the company's spin doctors are telling the media.

n77j

[ QUOTE ]
I know it doesn't seem like much....but 100 pilots making $79,000 / year - that saves the company 7.9 million dollars / year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about everyone else but for a company that makes billions of dollars a year- $7.9 is nothing more than a pocket change. I am sure some of the VP's makes well over $7.9 million a year. Therefore, my personal opinion is a STRIKE by the the pilot union!

I_Money

^^ Calling for a strike so soon seems a bit much. It is like some one talking smack about your momma, and you go and get a ICBM and cap their ass!

ready2fly

[ QUOTE ]
It is like some one talking smack about your momma, and you go and get a ICBM and cap their ass!

[/ QUOTE ]
Weeeellll I see somebody is DEFINITELY back in Cali.

aloft

Come on Iain, it's "bust a cap in they ass"--though I have a difficult time imagining that phrase in a proper British accent....

flyitup

[ QUOTE ]
Come on Iain, it's "bust a cap in they ass"--though I have a difficult time imagining that phrase in a proper British accent....

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, Iain... Didn't you learn how to speak Jive in "Airplane I"?

vipermcg

This is kind of off topic, but I always wanted to ask an English person this. Iain, did you see Austin Powers 3? Remember the part where Austin and his father are speaking "Enlgish" to eachother? Can you actually understand that?

I_Money

I saw it at Ed's house a while ago and do not remember that bit however I am sure I could translate.

Yeap I am certainly back in Cali!

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
The big problem is that most managements act very sinister when it comes to these things.

100 less pilots mean that SOMEONE is going to have to take up the slack for the missing pilots. Which means that when Bill gets off of a trip, he runs the high possibility of getting sent right back out on a multi-day trip.

There's nothing worse, besides furlough, for morale than being away for six days (like me) and then having the company say, "Umm, even though you haven't seen your wife for six days, have no clean underwear left and smell like 5 days of de-icing fluid, you're going on another four day trip -- your aircraft is waiting and boarded".

It happens. Way more than you think it does.

For example, I've been on the road since February 3rd and have spent a whopping 30 hours at home total. I arrived in DFW tonight (Feb 12th) at 10:15pm and I have an America West flight home in the morning.

Now the company could have legally caught me on the ramp this evening and said that I'm flying tomorrow night for four more days -- regardless of the fact that I haven't spent more than 30 hours at home.

This happens all the friggen time but the experts, PR consultants nor the glossy ads in Flying magazine never talk about this and it's completely legal.

The potential furlough at UPS is nothing more than bullying the pilot group during contract negotiations. It's nothing about idling unneeded employees during a downturn. Because pilots and management both know it'll cost more to send 100 pilots on furlough for six months and retrain them when they come back rather than have 100 extra reserves systemwide for six months.

That's somehting you won't see in the newspapers or blurbs on yahoo.

Before you ask, yup, I'm burned-out, need to go home and see my wife and have about 2 millimeters of fuse left when it comes to management groups using the media to negotiate with their pilot group.

Whew! I thought I was going to drop an "F Bomb" or two, but I did alright!

flyitup

[ QUOTE ]
"Umm, even though you haven't seen your wife for six days

[/ QUOTE ]

That sucks Doug...

Your really lucky to have such an understanding wife...