UPS, flight dispatchers reach impasse, union says

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
The fun of labor negotiations...good luck to everyone at UPS. Sounds like things won't be settled any time soon.

QXDX

“Our dispatchers already enjoy industry-leading total compensation”

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t think that’s true.
UPS dispatchers have a pension plan, which adds value to to the total compensation package.

QXDX

Which then makes the argument for "industry leading" hard to compare to other contracts. Apples to oranges. I think most dispatchers would agree tho... the UPS contract is not industry leading.
I don't see why. It's pretty straightforward to attach a dollar amount to a compensation package. If you look at salary only, then yes, UPS lags behind the other carriers. But add in the UPS pension (that the other carriers don't have), and I can't imagine they're that far apart.

DispatcherSam

NOTAMed OTS
I don't see why. It's pretty straightforward to attach a dollar amount to a compensation package. If you look at salary only, then yes, UPS lags behind the other carriers. But add in the UPS pension (that the other carriers don't have), and I can't imagine they're that far apart.
Also, define “industry”

TN-DX

UPS has a pension, Delta has profit sharing, 401K matches at other majors...all of these are factored in. Compare UPS pension to Delta profit sharing and you will see a huge increase in what Delta makes to what UPS is making.

TXDX

I see what you are all saying about pension. But it's a matter of time of how much longer that will last. If it was me, I'd opt for 401k and some cold hard cash. A pension ain't going to feed and provide for my family today. But yes, a pension will be nice, if still around, at retirement. But we all know how fast that can go away in retirement too.

Good luck my brothers and sisters. We are all rooting for you to set the tone for our next contract in the industry.

onemanwolfpack

Wouldn't it be helpful if the colleagues at purple unionized and pushed cargo dispatcher pay and benefits up?

Since UPS is notorious for exploiting the NRLB regs and dragging contract negotiations out as long as possible, wouldn't it make things easier and quicker to get industry leading contracts if both groups keep one-upping each other every 3-5 years?

I'm not knocking purple folks at all, it's just a thought.

Atlanta

"industry-leading total compensation" -- Doesnt this also take into account Health Insurance Benefits etc?

Kind of hard to argue for one side or the other if we dont know what was offered or rejected.

pljenkins

Resident Knucklehead
But yes, a pension will be nice, if still around, at retirement. But we all know how fast that can go away in retirement too.
Ask those United pilots who retired in the late '90's and 2000 how that pension worked out for them.

Pensions are worthless in today's environment. A company can easily raid the pensions of their employees through bankruptcy.

I do not envy our brothers and sister at UPS. It looks like UPS might be willing to go to the mat on this one. With the current administration in office, I legit do not know how this is going to play out.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
Wouldn't it be helpful if the colleagues at purple unionized and pushed cargo dispatcher pay and benefits up?

Since UPS is notorious for exploiting the NRLB regs and dragging contract negotiations out as long as possible, wouldn't it make things easier and quicker to get industry leading contracts if both groups keep one-upping each other every 3-5 years?

I'm not knocking purple folks at all, it's just a thought.
It's my understanding that traditionally FedEx has always gotten whatever UPS got. I also heard a rumor that they have moved beyond UPS due to the ongoing contract negotiations at UPS. Usually there is a good reason why a shop hasn't unionized, it's fair to assume that FedEx does a great job of taking care of their employees. Smart of FedEx management to avoid having a union by doing the right thing and taking care of their peeps.