• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Upgrade or Jump to 121 Regional

awbmof

Well, after many years, I made the jump to professional flying. I am currently flying the Beech 99 for a 135 freight operator, and might have the opportunity to upgrade in a couple of months into type rated equipment (single pilot ops). The long-term goal is to fly for a 121 legacy carrier, and at 38 I'm trying to find the most expeditious path to my final goal. With my current schedule, I should reach ATP mins by August.

Would it be worthwhile to get the PIC turbine time in typed equipment while incurring a one year commitment to my current employer, or should I stay in the 99 and go directly to a regional where I have a job waiting for me upon reaching mins? In a nutshell, I'm trying to figure out which experience would look better to a legacy.

swakid8

Well, after many years, I made the jump to professional flying. I am currently flying the Beech 99 for a 135 freight operator, and might have the opportunity to upgrade in a couple of months into type rated equipment (single pilot ops). The long-term goal is to fly for a 121 legacy carrier, and at 38 I'm trying to find the most expeditious path to my final goal. With my current schedule, I should reach ATP mins by August.

Would it be worthwhile to get the PIC turbine time in typed equipment while incurring a one year commitment to my current employer, or should I stay in the 99 and go directly to a regional where I have a job waiting for me upon reaching mins? In a nutshell, I'm trying to figure out which experience would look better to a legacy.
Go get on the seniority list at a regional then upgrade there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lunchbox

I'd recommend just going to the regional. Upgrades are quick and that time isn't worth much. I have a friend who was in a similar situation and stayed to log 1k TPIC in a twin otter flying jumpers before going to the regionals. He made all the job fair rounds over the years with 4k TT and the recruiters all told him to get 121 TPIC. FDX even said it wouldn't check their TPIC box due to the light gross weight. Even though they have since dropped that requirement I haven't heard of a single new hire not having it. There are also plenty of regional FO's moving on to DAL/UAL without it though. The fastest path to legacy (outside of the 1500hr CPP group UAL just hired) would be to work your way into a regional training department and network. My LCC hires FO's as sim instructors, not sure if regionals do that also?

A300Capt

BE99 TPIC 135 time doesn’t mean squat to the legacy carriers when you have a long line of folks with Regional jet PIC time or heavy lift military to compete with.

Go to a Regional now! Seniority means EVERYTHING and everyday you don’t have it you’re losing out on potential advancement.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
"Type rated equipment," eh? Let me guess, you work at Ameriflight.

Everyone always said once they got on that "type rated equipment" that needed an ATP, they'd be qualified to move on to Southwest in a year or two. It's almost never been the case. Leave, go to a regional and gain 121 experience. It'll take give you a better chance of getting to where you want to be.

Beefy McGee

PSA is upgrading so fast right now that if not enough FOs choose to upgrade, when the company chooses a forced upgrade the new “senior man” list has crossed the old “junior man” list. Our senior man upgrades barely have 1000 SIC because they ran through them all pretty much.

This is from two FOs who are just below 1000 SIC that I flew with this week. They are watching their classmates barely above 1000 SIC getting put on the forced upgrade list. Fall 2016 hire dates.

Get to a regional.

awbmof

Thank you all, I spoke to a few buddies outside of the forum as well, its almost unanimous, go to a regional. Looks like my next stop is the right seat of an ERJ175 as soon as I hit 1500.

I mean if its ameriflight you're at dont they have flow type agreements with UPS, frontier and allegiant ?
They do, yes. But it's a carrot. With upgrades as everyone has said going so fast at the regionals. Why would someone wait it out at Ameriflight for 3000 hrs. Just to jump to Frontier or Allegiant. Or wait it out even looooooonger, for the carrot to jump from Ameriflight straight to UPS. In this hiring environment?

awbmof

I mean if its ameriflight you're at dont they have flow type agreements with UPS, frontier and allegiant ?
They do, yes. But it's a carrot. With upgrades as everyone has said going so fast at the regionals. Why would someone wait it out at Ameriflight for 3000 hrs. Just to jump to Frontier or Allegiant. Or wait it out even looooooonger, for the carrot to jump from Ameriflight straight to UPS. In this hiring environment?
Those programs have very specific requirements, I had a friend look at those programs and he decided to go to a regional after calculating how long it would take to fulfill the requirements. His primary motivation was he'd be upgrading into the left seat at his regional by the time he'd flow into the right seat at Frontier or Allegiant.

Last edited:

srn121

You're still young and I wouldn't rush it. With your 99 time have you looked into Wheels UP at all as that may afford you a QoL you might not have at a regional for awhile. If you're at Ameriflight they did have some program with Omni that might help you get on with them which would get you a 767 or 777 type rating. With what they're offering thanks to their new agreement is pretty significant and it might be well worth skipping the regionals for. Depending on which base you want the regionals may be the way to go, but I'd explore as many options as you can and do as much research before you make your next move. I think it may be worth moving on to another company though depending on who you fly for.

Here's what WheelsUp is offering for KingAir FOs.
http://jobs.jobvite.com/gamaaviationllc/job/ocNV5fwJ

If you're fine flying single engine turbine Quest Diagnostics is (and I believe LabCorp is also) looking for PC 12 pilots. Last I heard Quest's guys made 70k a year. https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/part-135/quest_diagnostics

You're still young and I wouldn't rush it. With your 99 time have you looked into Wheels UP at all as that may afford you a QoL you might not have at a regional for awhile. If you're at Ameriflight they did have some program with Omni that might help you get on with them which would get you a 767 or 777 type rating. With what they're offering thanks to their new agreement is pretty significant and it might be well worth skipping the regionals for. Depending on which base you want the regionals may be the way to go, but I'd explore as many options as you can and do as much research before you make your next move. I think it may be worth moving on to another company though depending on who you fly for.

Here's what WheelsUp is offering for KingAir FOs.
http://jobs.jobvite.com/gamaaviationllc/job/ocNV5fwJ

If you're fine flying single engine turbine Quest Diagnostics is (and I believe LabCorp is also) looking for PC 12 pilots. Last I heard Quest's guys made 70k a year. https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/part-135/quest_diagnostics

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. Going to the right seat of a King Air or left seat of a single engine turboprop will add undue time to his ultimate goal of flying 121 for major. A small sacrifice in pay and QoL right now will end up making him hundreds of thousands more dollars and more nights at home in the long run.