Upgrade options

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
One of two things will happen.

1, things continue as they are and nobody at the career carriers cares whether you were on the Dash or the E-jet as long as you have a clean record and dat 121 PIC.

2, we hit another economic slowdown and the only thing that matters is where you are on your seniority list so you don’t have to join @jtrain609 when he goes back to Ameriflight.

Do what works for you and yours.

Jordan93

What’s the problem? For reasons stated above, reserve in base is awesome. Getting paid not to fly is the dream unless you’re trying to build PIC Time

JDean3204

What’s the problem? For reasons stated above, reserve in base is awesome. Getting paid not to fly is the dream unless you’re trying to build PIC Time
Yeah but reserve on the Q isn’t being paid not to fly, it’s deadheading to another base to fly and cover the bases where no one wants to stay or upgrade into and staying out all five days changing your schedule about 5 times a day. I also found myself in the sim quite often doing sim support for MV’s and LOE, not something I really enjoyed. Line holding vs reserve at QX seems like night and day from what I’ve observed. When staffing is fat reserve is nice, staffing hasn’t and won’t ever be fat on the Q. Or maybe it’s different for the left seat.. @ASpilot2be how is your qol?

Edit: Not complaining about life on reserve, that’s the point of reserve pilots. Nothing more than fill in’s that need to be shifted around here and there for the puzzle to get put together. Just saying a 3 hour drive to a line over not knowing how my seniority will shake out for a few years is tempting.

Last edited:

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member

1, things continue as they are and nobody at the career carriers cares whether you were on the Dash or the E-jet as long as you have a clean record and dat 121 PIC.
My friend went to a job fair a year and half ago and two legacies said to get jet time.
Maybe no one cares anymore

JDean3204

2, we hit another economic slowdown and the only thing that matters is where you are on your seniority list so you don’t have to join @jtrain609 when he goes back to Ameriflight.

Do what works for you and yours.
I’ve always wanted to fly the metro!

Nark

Sheepdog
My friend went to a job fair a year and half ago and two legacies said to get jet time.
Maybe no one cares anymore
My friend also went to job fair, and the HR girl said to get more leadership experience. To a military officer, who commands more men than the airplanes they fly hold.

I also had 0 121 PIC, and 2 years from currency when I got hired. Granted, I'm not at the big 3, but I'm alright with that.

Cherokee_Cruiser

I plan on interviewing for the pathway to Alaska after my upgrade. If that goes well it’s just a waiting game to be honest. I know some people say Alaska isn’t a retirement type carrier anymore, but its plenty enough for me and my family, and I enjoy working for AAG for the most part. I do agree that building 121 PIC is a lot better than sitting around waiting to build time

Do you really wanna swing gear for me? That's gotta be, like, at least minus 50 points on your list of positives/negatives.

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
Probably why they don’t have those days anymore, right?
Depends upon how much of a ninny the pilots are, really; I thought that as long as the operation was reasonably on time, and we didn't have any huge breaks, I thought an 8 leg day was manageable.
I’m just worried about never getting off of reserve in the Q due to the fleet getting phased out.
Ahem.

Reserve in base, even at a regional, is the third-best aviation job I've ever had. It is damned good duty if you're willing to roll with the punches (and let's face it, that's a large part of this career anyway).

I know the drive will suck at times, other times it will be easy. All depends on the show time and how much construction is happening certain times of the year.
I'm from there, although I haven't done that drive (PDX SEA) in a while. I'd still rather drive it than fly it UNLESS I was a lineholder with a good commuter clause. I mean, a GOOD commuter clause.