Upcoming Envoy interview

I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to interview at ENY shortly. If anyone has any ENY-specific recommendations on how to best prepare or the typical interview format utilized or knowledge about their particular most-valued individual qualities/characteristics or anything else along these lines, I'd be grateful for any insight you're good enough to provide. I'm certainly not looking for anyone to put themselves in a tough spot ethically in revealing too much, but I'm eager to perform as well as I can, so thanks in advance for whatever you feel comfortable sharing!

This will be my first interview for a true Dispatch job as well, so any general advice is also appreciated, but I was hoping to learn all I could that is unique to ENY's evaluation process.

Luigi

Do you have a pulse...
That’s not particularly helpful bro.

Hey OP, I suggest you brush up on everything. I’ve never interviewed with Envoy, but I suggest you learn 3585, one navaid two navaid, when you need an alternate, landing mins, reading and applying notams, etc.

Thanks a great deal. I'm all there (FAA regs, not OPSECS or other company-specific guidance yet, of course) on alternates, landing mins, NOTAM and similar matters (i.e., things covered in ADX training), but I'm not at all familiar with 3585 or what you mean by "one navaid two navaid." Would you mind expound on those?

Hey OP, I suggest you brush up on everything. I’ve never interviewed with Envoy, but I suggest you learn 3585, one navaid two navaid, when you need an alternate, landing mins, reading and applying notams, etc.

I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to interview at ENY shortly. If anyone has any ENY-specific recommendations on how to best prepare or the typical interview format utilized or knowledge about their particular most-valued individual qualities/characteristics or anything else along these lines, I'd be grateful for any insight you're good enough to provide. I'm certainly not looking for anyone to put themselves in a tough spot ethically in revealing too much, but I'm eager to perform as well as I can, so thanks in advance for whatever you feel comfortable sharing!

This will be my first interview for a true Dispatch job as well, so any general advice is also appreciated, but I was hoping to learn all I could that is unique to ENY's evaluation process.
Drink the AA Kool-Aid.

DispatchDan

Thanks a great deal. I'm all there (FAA regs, not OPSECS or other company-specific guidance yet, of course) on alternates, landing mins, NOTAM and similar matters (i.e., things covered in ADX training), but I'm not at all familiar with 3585 or what you mean by "one navaid two navaid." Would you mind expound on those?
Exemption 3585 provides relief from the destination weather dispatch minimums required in FAR 121.613. This exemption allows for dispatch to a destination where the main body of a forecast indicates weather will be above minimums but a conditional statement for the estimated time of arrival indicates weather will be less than, but not less than one-half of those minimums. This exemption requires the use of two alternates.

There is more to it but try to remember that part for now, you'll be thought how to apply it once you get the job and go through training.

1 navaid / 2 navaid rule is determining WX minimums at your altn airport.
When only 1 navaid available at altn airport add 400' and 1sm to the approach minimums on the chart for that navaid
When 2 separate navaids available, add 200' and 1/2sm.
Multiple RNAV aproaches, even to different runways are still considered as 1 navaid.
Hopefully that helps a little

Meh, it's a little bit helpful, if only in a big picture sense.

Altimeter

In 4 dispatch interviews I’ve never had 3585 been a subject of interest.

Exemption 3585 provides relief from the destination weather dispatch minimums required in FAR 121.613. This exemption allows for dispatch to a destination where the main body of a forecast indicates weather will be above minimums but a conditional statement for the estimated time of arrival indicates weather will be less than, but not less than one-half of those minimums. This exemption requires the use of two alternates.

There is more to it but try to remember that part for now, you'll be thought how to apply it once you get the job and go through training.

1 navaid / 2 navaid rule is determining WX minimums at your altn airport.
When only 1 navaid available at altn airport add 400' and 1sm to the approach minimums on the chart for that navaid
When 2 separate navaids available, add 200' and 1/2sm.
Multiple RNAV aproaches, even to different runways are still considered as 1 navaid.
Hopefully that helps a little
Thanks a lot and that does help - I sure appreciate it!

I may not be thinking straight or recalling well in the moment, but how does the 1 NavAid/2 Nav Aid rule relate to the standard alternate mins (600' & 2 for precision approaches - 800' & 2 for non-precision approaches) or published non-standard alternate mins? Are the mins necessary to list an alternate the greater of standard alternate mins (or published non-standard when applicable) OR destination/normal (published) approach mins plus 400' & 1 (1 NavAid available) or 200' & 1/2? Example: Assume the potential alternate has standard alternate mins for a precision approach (600' & 2) with destination/normal published mins of 200' & 1/2 when/where there's 2 NavAids available. Would the weather necessary to list this alternate be 600' & 2 because that's more than 200' & 1/2 (destination mins) plus 200' & 1/2 (due to 2 NavAids)?

Last edited:
In 4 dispatch interviews I’ve never had 3585 been a subject of interest.
Thank you and that makes me feel a little better, as I'd never even heard of it prior to this thread. I'm all for figuring out what I don't know (I'm fully in tune with the fact that earning the ADX certificate is nothing more than a license to learn) and then figuring out how to learn it, so I'll look into 3585 the best I can just in case.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
Thank you and that makes me feel a little better, as I'd never even heard of it prior to this thread. I'm all for figuring out what I don't know (I'm fully in tune with the fact that earning the ADX certificate is nothing more than a license to learn) and then figuring out how to learn it, so I'll look into 3585 the best I can just in case.
3585 will just confuse you at this point. Focus on knowing how to calculate alt mins. If you don't have any experience they won't ask about 3585 or expect you to know it.

DispatchDan

but how does the 1 NavAid/2 Nav Aid rule relate to the standard alternate mins (600' & 2 for precision approaches - 800' & 2 for non-precision approaches) or published non-standard alternate mins?
When it comes to 121 operation, you fly scheduled flights to airports that are in your OpSpec (C70), and use alternates from the C70 airports so you can use lower then standard minimus... That 1nav / 2nav rule... If you have 2 ILS approaches at altn with approach minimums of 200' and 1/2sm when you apply 2navaid rule your altn WX minimums at that airport is a 400' and 1sm... So you would use 400 and 1 instead of the standard 600 and 2

Luigi

Yeah completely forget about standard alt mins. You’ll never need it. You’ll only ever use 1 navaid 2 navaid from here on out.

When it comes to 121 operation, you fly scheduled flights to airports that are in your OpSpec (C70), and use alternates from the C70 airports so you can use lower then standard minimus... That 1nav / 2nav rule... If you have 2 ILS approaches at altn with approach minimums of 200' and 1/2sm when you apply 2navaid rule your altn WX minimums at that airport is a 400' and 1sm... So you would use 400 and 1 instead of the standard 600 and 2
Many thanks - I appreciate you taking the time to explain this. As Luigi touched on as well, it's too bad there's not more taught in a 'real world' way in ADX training; I get that the FAA's ADX certificate covers all types of flying to some degree (135, 91, 121), but I wish there was more of an opportunity to get into the nitty-gritty of each part - especially 121, since this flying requires a dispatcher by reg/law - to be better prepared to hit the ground running on the job & excel in interviews. Thank you for taking the time to fill this gap for me!