1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UNS-1 & Airway problems

Discussion in 'Technical Talk' started by ozziecat35, Aug 23, 2017.

1. ozziecat35

ozziecat35 4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.

My first FMS, still learning the ins and outs. However, half the time when I try and enter an airway, I don't get the line select next to airways available in the menu. For example, leaving Virginia last weekend, cleared via HIICH2.MCRAY J518 DJB etc etc. MCRAY does not directly connect to J518. In actuality, the closest entry is the IHD VOR. Because I'm relatively new to this kind of flying, is it assumed I'll go direct IHD before entering the airway? My guess is because half the time the waypoint before the airway isn't a valid entry point, that's my problem.

2. woodreau

woodreau Well-Known Member

MCRAY is a valid intersection on the J518 airway.

If you go to ForeFlight and search for J518 you'll find MCRAY on the airway.

I'd wager it's probably due to the coding in the FMS box as the UNS-1 is very memory limited and with the proliferation of rnav procedures and waypoints, they didn't code it as they didn't have the memory for it. Your air carrier would have to tailor their nav database to include it if you fly out of the airport often.

ozziecat35 likes this.
  3. ozziecat35

Ahh, I see that now. It's so weird that it doesn't pick it up. I read somewhere else that if there's a no link anywhere, the UNS-1 won't let you drop an airway, is that true?

4. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Oddity. Just tried that on Garmin Pilot
    MCRAY J518 DJB works fine
    HIICH2.MCRAY J518 DJB gives an error - missing airway entry point. Attempt to select one crashes the GP.

Almost wondering if DB bug.

If presented with the situation, I'd load the second mcray into the flight plan and get the j518 out of there

Ymmv, I don't have much time on the Universal. Global still gives me nightmares though
    #J518

5. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Paid to sleep, fly for fun

"Request direct".

ozziecat35 likes this.
  6. ozziecat35

We ended up just loading up the fixes in the airway manually.

7. Crockrocket94

Crockrocket94 Well-Known Member

Yes, Remove the no links.

ozziecat35 likes this.
  8. Max Power

Max Power Well-Known Member

If there is a No Link prior to the fix you want to go to, you must take out the No Link.

MCRAY
    No Link
    J518
    It won’t work and won’t let you select Airways in the menu page, so take out the No Link. Be careful when modifying DPs and Arrival procedures, the UNS has quirks to it.

9. SetClimbPower

SetClimbPower Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I used a UNS-1. Have you tried entering MCRAY a second time. I seem to remember something about the FMS treats waypoints at the end of a SID differently than airway waypoints despite being the same waypoint. It's like the FMS searches a different part of the database. But, don't take my word for it as it's been almost 10 years since I used one. Even then, I've always preferred the Collins box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk