United Airlines fires 35 employees for abusing travel benefits

Lunchbox

I bet at least one is a pilot. With 50k+ at the big 4, statistically there will be a few morons. The UAL 777 Captain sweater story really happened.

Old Pete

curmudgeon
My time in Law Enforcement taught me if there is a rule, there's a reason for it.
Oh, there are reasons, many ignoble, tell me how you enforced those rules. There were rules on who could drink out of what fountain, and where they could ride on the bus, there was a reason for it.

Oxman

Oh, there are reasons, many ignoble, tell me how you enforced those rules. There were rules on who could drink out of what fountain, and where they could ride on the bus, there was a reason for it.
Dude...I was referring to the rules of our Patrol Guide. A set of rules for policy, admin requirements, arrest procedure, patrol requirements, dress code, absences, alcohol consumption, etc.
Again, if there is a rule, there is a good reason for it.

Luigi

Every non rev booking, ID card swipe, KCM scan and CASS access leaves a record. Everything you do in a company computer leaves a trail.

They won’t fire you right away. They’ll wait for you to stub your toe and drop it all on you at once. Shock and Awe.

Ferrying a plane? WAY back in the day in a previous life we had a guy bang out sick to ferry a plane...gear wound up collapsing. Lots of questions after that. These days you can absolutely bet someone in HR would crawl into your file.

NOT. WORTH. IT.

This goes 100x for buddy passes. I don’t give them out or even acknowledge that I have them. A modest search and a modicum of advanced planning gets someone cheap fares positive space.
I use every one of my buddy passes every year. It’s really convenient for me since I have family all over the US and live in a large city. They enjoy the travel and coming out to visit me. It works for them but I make sure they understand the rules.

My point is there is nothing wrong with buddy passes, as long as you follow the rules.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Wait, if an employee asks some other pilot employee to ferry a plane down and nonrev back, is that wrong? They are both employees who can nonrev for a personal reason. Unless you are ferrying for business and then flying every other day. I can see that’s wrong. But a one off deal, you’re still an employee traveling yourself right?

Or are you saying she is using her buddy passes to nonrev people who fly her ferry flights?
You may not jumpseat or non rev for non-company business purposes.

Tiptank

Only tangentially-related ...

Without direct knowledge of the right terms, there is a device (firestick?) which allows the circumventing of cable and costs. A number of coworkers (and even a boss or two) enjoys the freedom it brings. I continue to pay an extra $3.99 (or whatever) on the rare occasions I watch something other than the Food Network (mostly during Baking shows).

Comcast just sent several notices of illegal downloading to my 911 Center, with dates, times and title, for a number of different movies. There can be little doubt that several morons thought they could get away with something in the office. Although spread across several shifts and a period of time, it isn’t hard to look at the schedule to see who was working each shift, and both the County Legal Department and our management are doing so. I have knowledge only because I was working many of the shifts which were flagged and have been investigated.

Say what one may about monolithic, multi-billion dollar organizations, it makes little sense to me to risk a good job with benefits and retirement for the sake of making or saving a very few dollars. The twenty bucks each individual might have saved (or the hundreds they may have made in the specific case of sold benefits), is a fraction of what they will lose.

This is idiotic. In today’s world, there are very few “secrets.”
I got one of those threatening letters from Comcast because I watched The Grand Tour on Netflx (on my account) on my laptop. I raised a big stink but they are definitely ruthless!

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I'd rather they fire the employees who abuse it than punish the employees who use them properly. In the 1990s, United went back and forth with "companion passes" a few times because they got tired of people selling them. I'm sure it was a lot easier back then when they were paper tickets filled out by the employee with pen.

Springer

I may have skimmed by it, but what is the story?
From the United thread at APC, couple of different versions:

1. Widebody Captain ends his trip in EWR. As he's getting off the plane he sees a nice sweater in F/C, grabs it and heads to his commuter flight. Passenger sees him with it either already on or in his hands. Security was called and he's busted and canned.

Very weird guy in the first place but a very fitting ending to his career. .

2. Not only that but after he stole it he brought it back up to the cockpit to let them FO borrow it on his break. The FO was accused of stealing until the truth got worked out.

DogwoodLynx

From the United thread at APC, couple of different versions:

1. Widebody Captain ends his trip in EWR. As he's getting off the plane he sees a nice sweater in F/C, grabs it and heads to his commuter flight. Passenger sees him with it either already on or in his hands. Security was called and he's busted and canned.

Very weird guy in the first place but a very fitting ending to his career. .

2. Not only that but after he stole it he brought it back up to the cockpit to let them FO borrow it on his break. The FO was accused of stealing until the truth got worked out.

Damn. Just don’t take stuff that doesn’t belong to you. It’s not hard

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member

I totally recognize that guy. Didn't know he got fired (or forgot). It was in Florida though.
Good grief, what an idiot.

And if the gun went off and he killed someone, “Oh, I got mad when I was driving”. There’s some top level decision making.