United Airlines fires 35 employees for abusing travel benefits

Cherokee_Cruiser

Oh no. My shop had it’s own “event” a few years ago.

There’s a certain percentage of any group that looks at a rule or policy, figures “Oh what’s the big deal” and forges forward intentionally breaking them.

Follow these rules, cash the check. Don’t like the rules? You’re free to seek alternative employment. Some folks don’t understand the logic.

Didn’t the DCA President/Owner try to get you fired from SJI? Drama from back in 2004-5 I think. You didn’t do anything wrong. They guyvwas just being difficult when called out on their marketing slogans and such.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Didn’t the DCA President/Owner try to get you fired from SJI? Drama from back in 2004-5 I think. You didn’t do anything wrong. They guyvwas just being difficult when called out on their marketing slogans and such.
What does that have to do with selling non rev benefits?

The dates and titles are off, but “kinda”.

Bob Ridpath

Pit Bull love
Only tangentially-related ...

Without direct knowledge of the right terms, there is a device (firestick?) which allows the circumventing of cable and costs. A number of coworkers (and even a boss or two) enjoys the freedom it brings. I continue to pay an extra $3.99 (or whatever) on the rare occasions I watch something other than the Food Network (mostly during Baking shows).

Comcast just sent several notices of illegal downloading to my 911 Center, with dates, times and title, for a number of different movies. There can be little doubt that several morons thought they could get away with something in the office. Although spread across several shifts and a period of time, it isn’t hard to look at the schedule to see who was working each shift, and both the County Legal Department and our management are doing so. I have knowledge only because I was working many of the shifts which were flagged and have been investigated.

Say what one may about monolithic, multi-billion dollar organizations, it makes little sense to me to risk a good job with benefits and retirement for the sake of making or saving a very few dollars. The twenty bucks each individual might have saved (or the hundreds they may have made in the specific case of sold benefits), is a fraction of what they will lose.

This is idiotic. In today’s world, there are very few “secrets.”

IamNegan

So, back in the day when I worked the gates....I have a fully flight with about 30 NRSA passengers....

When I told this group of buddy pass riders they would not make the flight....well let's say they were not allowed to travel

It turned out that this group of people bough buddy passes and were told they would make the fight....

Gotta keep your pass riders in check and let them know they are not confirmed nor act like a child if they get on.

Jordan93

Someone posted in our “private” Facebook pilot group asking if someone wanted to ferry a plane down to the Bahamas and just use the non rev benefits to come back. I posted a quote from the non rev etiquette specifically prohibiting this and got called a Boy Scout. Whatever. You guys do you. Management and whoever else that wants to see the post can see it. Nothing is ever private.

Adler

Low-Level Individual
Someone posted in our “private” Facebook pilot group asking if someone wanted to ferry a plane down to the Bahamas and just use the non rev benefits to come back. I posted a quote from the non rev etiquette specifically prohibiting this and got called a Boy Scout. Whatever. You guys do you. Management and whoever else that wants to see the post can see it. Nothing is ever private.
Yes but she runs her entire ferry business off of illusions and abused nonrev benefits. I cannot figure out how she hasn't been caught.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
The problem is that generally companies will make you feel like you’ve gotten away with it for a period of time and then something happens or they’ve collected enough information that WHAMMO, here’s years and multiple incidences of non-compliance and you won’t have a leg to stand on when they finally crack the whip.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Wait, if an employee asks some other pilot employee to ferry a plane down and nonrev back, is that wrong? They are both employees who can nonrev for a personal reason. Unless you are ferrying for business and then flying every other day. I can see that’s wrong. But a one off deal, you’re still an employee traveling yourself right?

Or are you saying she is using her buddy passes to nonrev people who fly her ferry flights?

Screaming_Emu

Dogsheep
The problem is that generally companies will make you feel like you’ve gotten away with it for a period of time and then something happens or they’ve collected enough information that WHAMMO, here’s years and multiple incidences of non-compliance and you won’t have a leg to stand on when they finally crack the whip.
ASA never liked to fire people for the dumb stuff they did, instead it was always “attendance.”

Jordan93

Wait, if an employee asks some other pilot employee to ferry a plane down and nonrev back, is that wrong? They are both employees who can nonrev for a personal reason. Unless you are ferrying for business and then flying every other day. I can see that’s wrong. But a one off deal, you’re still an employee traveling yourself right?

Or are you saying she is using her buddy passes to nonrev people who fly her ferry flights?
Don’t know all the details because it was a short post but basically the person (a pilot at my company) was asked to do a ferry by another person (non airline employee) and the person could not do it for whatever reason. The person then posted on our Facebook group asking if any pilots at our company wanted to do the ferry and non rev back which is a big no no according to our non rev travel guide. Not to mention you’re also undercutting fellow ferry pilots by saying you’ll just non rev instead of having the person pay for your plane ticket back home.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.

This individual runs a ferry business and uses their non-rev benefits to support the one way logistics of that ferry business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QXDX

Maybe a little to harsh? Maybe United management could have suspended travel benefits for a year and employment probation?

United Airlines fires 35 employees for abusing travel benefits

United Airlines fired more than 35 employees who were abusing their travel perks, like selling travel passes that are intended for friends and family.
"United employees at the gate noticed something fishy about a particular group of nine non-revenue pass riders," the company said in an article published on United's internal site and obtained by USA TODAY.

"The three families, who were traveling internationally, stated that they had 'paid for' first class tickets – but they were on nonrevenue reservations and were unable to provide the names of the employees who had provided the tickets."
The airline “uncovered a brokering scheme where employees were soliciting pass travel privileges from their colleagues to put up for sale.”

United found that employees would provide fake documents to pass off strangers as stepparents or domestic partners.
[More U.S. News] Unvaccinated 6-year-old Oregon boy nearly died from tetanus, claims CDC »
“Some of the employees who gave up their passes received payment, while others were deceived into giving away their pass travel privileges based on the pretext that the passes were for a good friend or a relative (although even that would be against the rules),” the airline said.
United spokesperson Frank Benenati told USA TODAY: “Enjoying flying privileges is a unique and special advantage of working at an airline, and it is intended only for our employees and their friends and family. We have clear rules on flying privileges so we can all fairly enjoy this benefit.”

The airline has clarified its employee travel policy.
It wasn’t that they were just unintentionally misusing their benefits. They were intentionally engaged in fraud. They hurt the company’s reputation and possibly placed the company in a legally actionable position. If all that happens is that they get fired, they should consider themselves lucky.

Richman

Every non rev booking, ID card swipe, KCM scan and CASS access leaves a record. Everything you do in a company computer leaves a trail.

They won’t fire you right away. They’ll wait for you to stub your toe and drop it all on you at once. Shock and Awe.

Ferrying a plane? WAY back in the day in a previous life we had a guy bang out sick to ferry a plane...gear wound up collapsing. Lots of questions after that. These days you can absolutely bet someone in HR would crawl into your file.

NOT. WORTH. IT.

This goes 100x for buddy passes. I don’t give them out or even acknowledge that I have them. A modest search and a modicum of advanced planning gets someone cheap fares positive space.