United Airlines fires 35 employees for abusing travel benefits

Oxman

Maybe a little to harsh? Maybe United management could have suspended travel benefits for a year and employment probation?

United Airlines fires 35 employees for abusing travel benefits

United Airlines fired more than 35 employees who were abusing their travel perks, like selling travel passes that are intended for friends and family.
"United employees at the gate noticed something fishy about a particular group of nine non-revenue pass riders," the company said in an article published on United's internal site and obtained by USA TODAY.

"The three families, who were traveling internationally, stated that they had 'paid for' first class tickets – but they were on nonrevenue reservations and were unable to provide the names of the employees who had provided the tickets."
The airline “uncovered a brokering scheme where employees were soliciting pass travel privileges from their colleagues to put up for sale.”

United found that employees would provide fake documents to pass off strangers as stepparents or domestic partners.
[More U.S. News] Unvaccinated 6-year-old Oregon boy nearly died from tetanus, claims CDC »
“Some of the employees who gave up their passes received payment, while others were deceived into giving away their pass travel privileges based on the pretext that the passes were for a good friend or a relative (although even that would be against the rules),” the airline said.
United spokesperson Frank Benenati told USA TODAY: “Enjoying flying privileges is a unique and special advantage of working at an airline, and it is intended only for our employees and their friends and family. We have clear rules on flying privileges so we can all fairly enjoy this benefit.”

The airline has clarified its employee travel policy.

nibake

Powder hound
It sounds like there are two groups here: those who ran the scam and those who were tricked into sharing passes in good will.

I know the latter still broke the rules, but it seems like the hammer should come down a lot harder on the former, don't you think?

Springer

This is nothing new and has been going on for years. My 10 yrs into retirement CSA wife could spot them a mile away. It really started when the airlines went to the "domestic partner" thing.

Cory Trevor

Craigslist sure is awesome. We’re willing to pay up to $150 for last minute tickets during spring break. Just checked on southwest and the cheapest flight is over $500. Shoot your shot I guess

Prino

Craigslist sure is awesome. We’re willing to pay up to $150 for last minute tickets during spring break. Just checked on southwest and the cheapest flight is over $500. Shoot your shot I guess
I hope they’re saving their money for Vegas because this place is no fun when you’re out of money

Prino

Do they not give free drinks on the floor anymore?
They do, but you have to be gambling (spending a certain amount). They don’t really just give drinks to people sitting there not playing. man they’re getting greedy. Even gotta pay to park at most places. The few places that don’t charge are always packed too

mightynimbus

Back when the SWA Rapid Rewards was a RT voucher and 12 drink coupons, I used to sell them on CL.
(Not employee, just earned one every 7 months or so iirc)
One day I get a response to CL ad from a person claiming to be with SWA, they explained that the ad needs to be taken down immediately,
Or my entire account was at risk of being closed, and points forfeited.
provided information specific to my account, and a phone number that matched a google search.
I don't remember If I was doing the "for sale book of tickets, and a voucher for free" that people were doing on CL as a work around.

I had a LOT of points, I deleted that ad and never did that again. I was not taking chances as I did not need the $300 going rate, I just was not using them since corporate paid all my travel.
I always cracked up getting 12 drink tickets back then.