United Airlines Awards 11 Vehicles to Employees With Perfect Attendance:

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Oh I know.

But then, in winter, I'm often stuck in an aircraft with three or four admittedly sick crewmembers that are "out of sick time for the year".

MQAAord

Scheherazade
Staff member
Believe it or not, a lot of people don't get sick very regularly.
Some people get sick very infrequently. But we're all human and we all get sick sometimes.

I have worked with so many people who come to work sick, and it pissed me off. Ecause not only did it expose the entire rest of he crew to their germs, but all the paying pax too!

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I wonder if any of the SFO agents got it. I'd be shocked. Let's just say when the CEO visits hubs, he usually does an address at the hub. When he comes to SFO, he has a security guarded address at the Marriott.

titansox

This is such BS.

How about awarding employee's for doing their job?
I'd rather award a car to the rampy who plugs the airplane, thus allowing us to shut down the APU and SAVE GAS!!!

How about awarding the gate agent who calmly deals with unruly passengers when the airplane is oversold or late?
What a world we live in. A company gives its employees cars and some how people cry BS.

titansox

???

United gave cars to employees who showed up to work and did their job everyday they were suppose too. I don't possibly see anything wrong with that.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
???

United gave cars to employees who showed up to work and did their job everyday they were suppose too. I don't possibly see anything wrong with that.
Because a lot of people come into work sick, as I've seen, only to avoid using sick time OR because they're out of sick time.

I didn't necessarily say THESE people did that, but "Jimmy got a car because he didn't call in sick. I want a car... Hmmm..."

I've flown with way too many crewmembers that come to work when they should not be there.

titansox

Do you really think someone who is sick is going to think to himself, "Self, I should stay stay home today because I'm sick, but there is no chance I'm losing my 11 and 30,000 (estimating 1/3 of the employees at united) chance to win a car. "

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Do you really think someone who is sick is going to think to himself, "Self, I should stay stay home today because I'm sick, but there is no chance I'm losing my 11 and 30,000 (estimating 1/3 of the employees at united) chance to win a car. "
Oh lord yes. Yes. YES!

I know people that avoided calling in sick for far crazier reasons.

I also, conversely, know people that called in sick for laughably bogus reasons as well.

HRDiva

While the reward is a bit extreme, it is a random drawinng. And to qualify, you have to have perfect attendance in at least one of three six month periods between 7/2010 and 12/2011. The drawing was 5/2012. I like the other awards they have listed. They are more suitable. I see so much abuse of time off it's not funny.

Muff3n

Doug, I understand what you are saying about the people coming to work sick....but I have had jobs where people came to work sick anyways, and it surely wasn't because of a car incentive. It may increase the sick attendance at work slightly, but I don't think it would be that drastic of a difference.