UA

crjdxr

Whale watching over SCUPP
In case your gas money gives out in Gurnee, there are also some very close Metra stations.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
The trouble with Metra is that most of the trains are designed around people who work a traditional M-F schedule. There are some that run later and earlier but it depends on the train line.

Rewind

I've never driven in Chicago, that's why I asked about parking. Not sure what UA shift hours are but it doesn't seem like trying to catch a train for a 04:00 shift would be likely....or smart.

crjdxr

Whale watching over SCUPP
The trouble with Metra is that most of the trains are designed around people who work a traditional M-F schedule. There are some that run later and earlier but it depends on the train line.
So true. However, you'll be seeing great sights!

mrezee

Living the dream!
Oh, friend. The Dan Ryan during the afternoon rush on a Friday. Put it on your bucket list.
Especially during the summer when everybody is headed to the Michigan lake shore for the weekend (bonus points if it's a holiday weekend). The only thing that rivals it is WI-50 going out to Lake Geneva. Most fun by far is the Tri-State when it's not backed up. If you're not doing at least 75, prepare to be run off the road.

In all seriousness though, from someone born and raised there, they do have a very good public transit network in Chicago, both within the city and out to the suburbs. Schedules can be limited on some of the lines, but if you're starting early mornings or late nights, there won't be too much traffic on the roads anyway.

They do a much better job than the Southern home city of two major airlines whose solution to exponentially-growing traffic problems is "just add 6 more highway lanes in each direction".

4EngineETOPS

Some CTA lines run 24 hours a day. They can be somewhat ... interesting.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
Some CTA lines run 24 hours a day. They can be somewhat ... interesting.
I know you're likely aware of this, but for anyone who hasn't been to ORDland, Metra and CTA are two different things...while CTA does serve a few suburbs, most of the stations are in Chicago proper. Metra is pretty much nothing but suburbs.

Delta Echo

I learned that when looking at schedules to get from ORD to the Magnificence Mile for the ADF Summit last year. Very little Sunday service.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
I learned that when looking at schedules to get from ORD to the Magnificent Mile for the ADF Summit last year. Very little Sunday service.
Actually, ORD is connected to the CTA system (they charge people double at that station to get money from visitors.) The Blue line runs 24/7. Unsure of the Metra options out there.

Delta Echo

Actually, ORD is connected to the CTA system (they charge people double at that station to get money from visitors.) The Blue line runs 24/7. Unsure of the Metra options out there.
There is a Metra Station just off ORD. The CTA option would have left several blocks to walk and no good connection to buses. Didn't know CTA charged double from ORD but it doesn't surprise me.

av8or757

Sounds comparable to the T in Boston. Red, Blue,Green and Orange lines get you all over. While commuter rail gets you out to the park n rides in the burbs and points in NH, RI.

Never thought of the T as unsafe at all. Save a few stations I wouldn't get off on on the Orange line if you arent from or know the area.