UA jumpseat question

Delta Echo

Can you jumpseat on United with checked bags? What is the process, if one?

Thank you to anyone that might know.

dx8709

In the past I have been able to gate check my bag once awarded a seat. If you check them in before security they are going for the ride with or without you unless international.

CF34-3B1

It’s been a while since I jumped on them but I think it’s the same as DL where you go to the special services line and hand them your id and passport and very politely ask them if they can list you for the cockpit. Once they agree to help you, also politely inform them you have a bag and ask them if they can check it for you as well. As stated above, it’s going with or without you at that point but you’re not a quitter right? You’ll get there eventually and your bag will be waiting. Good Luck!

Luigi

Last time I checked UA puts standby tags on jumpseater bags. If the system works the bag won’t go without you. They’re supposed to hold all standby bags till the end.

paincorp

I’ve had major issues getting checked in by Delta at the counter. Not sure if it was a training or system issue, but after 15 minutes they gave up. And told me to go to the gate.

TN-DX

I’ve had major issues getting checked in by Delta at the counter. Not sure if it was a training or system issue, but after 15 minutes they gave up. And told me to go to the gate.
That's odd. I have used them a couple dozen times and never ha issues. Even traveling with firearms.

Green12324

I would highly advise against checking a bag as a jumpseater on an international flight. You won't show as a boarded passenger for positive passenger bag match, and even if the pilots call ops to tell you you're on that doesn't mean the ramp will get the message. My buddy got his bag left behind when doing his RQ and didn't even get it back by the end of the trip. Domestic should be ok because they just load all the non standby bags whether you show as boarded or not.

Mainline_or_bust

Airplanes fly on PFM, Change my mind
I would highly advise against checking a bag as a jumpseater on an international flight. You won't show as a boarded passenger for positive passenger bag match, and even if the pilots call ops to tell you you're on that doesn't mean the ramp will get the message. My buddy got his bag left behind when doing his RQ and didn't even get it back by the end of the trip. Domestic should be ok because they just load all the non standby bags whether you show as boarded or not.
That’s not true, they still check if you’re on or not before loading your bag on the aircraft. I worked American Eagle contract for UA gate and Ramp. I’m not saying bags aren’t occasionally added when the standby doesn’t get one but the policy is no passenger on, no bag on even domestically.

paincorp

That’s not true, they still check if you’re on or not before loading your bag on the aircraft. I worked American Eagle contract for UA gate and Ramp. I’m not saying bags aren’t occasionally added when the standby doesn’t get one but the policy is no passenger on, no bag on even domestically.
Can 100% tell you positive bag match is not a requirement for mainline AA domestically.

Green12324

Yeah that's supposed to be the procedure, but in my experience both working at and flying from hubs and line stations the the vast majority of the time the bag just gets loaded. I'd say about 25% of line stations will hold the bag back if the non rev doesn't make it. Hubs have no interest in keeping any bags around because they'll pile up quick, so they just send them all and let the non revs catch up. When I worked at a line station we did hold the bag off it non rev didn't make it, but when I worked at a hub we never held bags off domestic flights.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
Yeah that's supposed to be the procedure, but in my experience both working at and flying from hubs and line stations the the vast majority of the time the bag just gets loaded. I'd say about 25% of line stations will hold the bag back if the non rev doesn't make it. Hubs have no interest in keeping any bags around because they'll pile up quick, so they just send them all and let the non revs catch up. When I worked at a line station we did hold the bag off it non rev didn't make it, but when I worked at a hub we never held bags off domestic flights.
One time I had a bag get left behind when I was jumpseating. I was originally non-revving, but the plane filled up, so I got the jumpseat. I gate checked my bag due to it being a 737 and a full flight, and I think they held it off because I didn't get cleared as a non-rev and they didn't realize I was on board as a jumpseater. Fortunately it was a single leg flight to my destination, and they did deliver my bag to me the next day after I filled out a claim report when I got to my destination. It wasn't on United, but it's something to keep in mind. This was at an outstation where it got held off and not a hub though, so @Green12324 may well be correct about hub airports.

Generally speaking, I try to never check a bag (or only do a gate check if necessary) when I'm non-revving or jumpseating. I think the last time I checked a bag at the ticket counter was over 10 years ago, when I was going to be going skiing and didn't have room for all my cold weather gear/clothes in one bag.

Last edited:

dx8709

at UA like everywhere else, D-0 rules. If you don't get on they'll just toss your bag in the hold and let god sort it out later. However, I was non-revving on DL out of a very small station (the kind where the guy/gal at the ticket counter changes their hat and suddenly becomes the gate agent after check in is done). We had no choice but to check some stuff and the agent was kind enough to pull the bags when we didn't get on. On UA some of the flight attendants will toss your roller bag in one of their coat closets if you're riding in the flight deck, but it's about 50/50. Some of them are more than happy to do it and others will give you the murder stare if you ask.

N77022

Descending Via
DL's CS-100s have wonderfully huge flight decks. They probably should've thrown another jumpseat in there tbh.

Anyway, don't worry about bag space on those... like I did...

TN-DX

at UA like everywhere else, D-0 rules. If you don't get on they'll just toss your bag in the hold and let god sort it out later. However, I was non-revving on DL out of a very small station (the kind where the guy/gal at the ticket counter changes their hat and suddenly becomes the gate agent after check in is done). We had no choice but to check some stuff and the agent was kind enough to pull the bags when we didn't get on. On UA some of the flight attendants will toss your roller bag in one of their coat closets if you're riding in the flight deck, but it's about 50/50. Some of them are more than happy to do it and others will give you the murder stare if you ask.
Candy is the key to 99% chance of getting it stored. I always bring candy for the flight attendants and gate agents and they almost always will find a spot for the carry on. I am not below bribery :cool: