Twin Mustang XP-82 flies

BravoHotel

I always find historical projects like these fascintating. There is a twin Mustang on display at Lackland AFB. Also, if memory serves one of the first air-to-air kills in the Korean war was by a twin Mustang. What surprises me isi the 207,000 to take to restore the aircraft.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I always find historical projects like these fascintating. There is a twin Mustang on display at Lackland AFB. Also, if memory serves one of the first air-to-air kills in the Korean war was by a twin Mustang. What surprises me isi the 207,000 to take to restore the aircraft.
If my deteriorating memory is correct the first air to air victory in the Korean conflict was by a F-4U Corsair. Either way, both would be cool stories.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
If my deteriorating memory is correct the first air to air victory in the Korean conflict was by a F-4U Corsair. Either way, both would be cool stories.
The first Korean War Air-Air kill was indeed by a F-82 flown by Lt William Hudson and radar operator Lt Carl Fraser shooting down a Yak-11.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
The first Korean War Air-Air kill was indeed by a F-82 flown by Lt William Hudson and radar operator Lt Carl Fraser shooting down a Yak-11.
You're correct, I did a little research into why I might have thought that about the F4U. Turns out the first Mig kill in Korea was by an F4U. I knew there was some story in the dim recesses of my memory regarding it.

Edit: I think I was once again mistaken and the Corsair in Korea that shot the Mig down might have been the last example of a piston fighter shooting down a jet fighter. Getting old sucks.

Last edited:

Pilot Fighter

You're correct, I did a little research into why I might have thought that about the F4U. Turns out the first Mig kill in Korea was by an F4U. I knew there was some story in the dim recesses of my memory regarding it.

Edit: I think I was once again mistaken and the Corsair in Korea that shot the Mig down might have been the last example of a piston fighter shooting down a jet fighter. Getting old sucks.
A Skyraider downed a MiG-17 in Vietnam.

Lawman

A Skyraider downed a MiG-17 in Vietnam.
That fight, and the one SDB that did the full up dogfight with a lone zero in WWII were like painful examples of “when picking on the fat kid goes wrong.”

Yeah he’s fat, yeah he’s slow... but that doesn’t change the fact he can still tag you on the chin if you come into that fight with the attitude of presumed winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milleR

I have no idea what silly story I might have been told as a youngster about the Corsair at this point. I'm pretty sure an F4U shot down a Mig in a turning fight over Korea in the '50s, why I thought it was so significant I have no idea.
Because the Corsair is bad-ass

milleR

We have a couple of them at my airport. Then again, we have more warbirds than some country’s.
That’s awesome. I just love the plane. The Mustang is sweet, no question, but there’s just something about the Corsair that does it for me.

My great-uncle was a test pilot that flew Corsairs at Pax River during WWII so that’s probably got a little to do with it though.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I have no idea what silly story I might have been told as a youngster about the Corsair at this point. I'm pretty sure an F4U shot down a Mig in a turning fight over Korea in the '50s, why I thought it was so significant I have no idea.
Lt. Guy Bordelon flew corsairs and was both the Navy’s only ace of the war and the only ace that flew piston fighters.

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
That’s awesome. I just love the plane. The Mustang is sweet, no question, but there’s just something about the Corsair that does it for me.

My great-uncle was a test pilot that flew Corsairs at Pax River during WWII so that’s probably got a little to do with it though.
You need to find your way to our spring airshow. We always have a couple of the flying.

trafficinsight

It's that big propeller.

Big propellers do things to me

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk