Trump shutdown ended after only 10 air traffic controllers stayed home

Stinger

Would volunteering to go instruct at the OKC academy be one way to get released from an understaffed facility?
I don’t know honestly if that falls under the new staffing rules or not.
@MikeD Yes. Since Academy instructors are outside the ATO, there's no staffing requirement that needs to be met for a release from an understaffed facility. And there was those jobs posted last summer for TETRA instructors and graders. I know a couple of the people selected for it.
I'm surprised no one from N90 applied/was selected. After the initial 3 year contract, there's even return rights to positions back in your original region. Or you could extend for another 2 tours of 2 years each.

greg1016

Trustworthy Source
@MikeD Yes. Since Academy instructors are outside the ATO, there's no staffing requirement that needs to be met for a release from an understaffed facility. And there was those jobs posted last summer for TETRA instructors and graders. I know a couple of the people selected for it.
I'm surprised no one from N90 applied/was selected. After the initial 3 year contract, there's even return rights to positions back in your original region. Or you could extend for another 2 tours of 2 years each.
Yeah I saw that bid, the pay is Lv 12 equivalent too, but who wants to live in OKC and train a bunch of ingrates and meanwhile lose their real-world skill?

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I was wondering about that, because that was one way in the AF to be able to move from a critical staffed unit, was to volunteer to go back to UPT/UNT as an IP or IN, as the schoolhouse was always in need of people.

Even in BP, one can leave a critical manned air branch to go to OKC to the air training center there on the NE side of the field next to Con Air.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
After the initial 3 year contract, there's even return rights to positions back in your original region.
Do you have to go back to your original facility? If that’s a yes, that why no one from N90 did it

Plus as @greg1016 said just doing sims all day every day would probably make me want to put a bullet in my brain

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have to go back to your original facility? If that’s a yes, that why no one from N90 did it

Plus as @greg1016 said just doing sims all day every day would probably make me want to put a bullet in my brain
It sounded like you could go back to your old facility, not necessarily that you had to. At least that's how I was reading Stinger on it.

Which would make sense, as generally taking an assignment like that, you'd now be able to go somewhere else that has openings or personnel needs. IF the FAA ran like some other agencies do, or the mil does. That's the part I'm not sure of.

Plus, doesn't N90 have the people.....the actual bodies......they just need to get trained up locally?

Stinger

Return rights to your current region. You tell HR about 6 months prior to your contract ending if there's any openings at a facility you want...if there is, you get to go there. If you don't want to wait the three years, you can apply to anything on USAJobs, and if you get selected the Academy can waive the rest of your contract.

Prino

If they moved it off Long Island they wouldn’t need to throw ots hires at us because other high level cpc’s would transfer. There’s a lot of controllers who want to try NY traffic but the only thing stopping them is Long Island.
Move N90 out to Vegas

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Return rights to your current region. You tell HR about 6 months prior to your contract ending if there's any openings at a facility you want...if there is, you get to go there. If you don't want to wait the three years, you can apply to anything on USAJobs, and if you get selected the Academy can waive the rest of your contract.
November Echo........do it.

It'd be just like being an Airman Leadership School instructor. Easy peasy. :)