True story bro.

z987k

Years ago while descending into ridiculousness working up Flying Team computer conversion practice, someone expressed airspeed in "furlongs per fortnight."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It's from the Simpsons. 40 rods to the hogshead.

Cherokee_Cruiser

@Derg

I like the US system because everything seems spread out more so you can visualize/understand it better. Meters? Especially when it comes to altitude, it's nice to have a whole defined area from 0 feet to ~FL450. Besides, meters would not be "even" for altitudes, like 35,000 feet would be 10688 meters. Come on now. I understand the international world uses altitude in feet except certain places like Russia and China. That's just crazy. Same with other stuff like temperatures. Fahrenheit makes sense from 32 for freezing to 212 for boiling. 0 to 100 is to simple in centigrade, when most temperatures we use go from 0 to 40 centigrade at best. I'd rather have the range of fahrenheit from 32 degrees freezing to 104 (or higher) for hot day.

Screaming_Emu

Dogsheep
@Derg

I like the US system because everything seems spread out more so you can visualize/understand it better. Meters? Especially when it comes to altitude, it's nice to have a whole defined area from 0 feet to ~FL450. Besides, meters would not be "even" for altitudes, like 35,000 feet would be 10688 meters. Come on now. I understand the international world uses altitude in feet except certain places like Russia and China. That's just crazy. Same with other stuff like temperatures. Fahrenheit makes sense from 32 for freezing to 212 for boiling. 0 to 100 is to simple in centigrade, when most temperatures we use go from 0 to 40 centigrade at best. I'd rather have the range of fahrenheit from 32 degrees freezing to 104 (or higher) for hot day.
Wat?

In China they absolutely assign “even” flight levels, then when we convert them to feet they’re all messed up. I thought you were an engineer.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Wat?

In China they absolutely assign “even” flight levels, then when we convert them to feet they’re all messed up. I thought you were an engineer.
?

Can you give an example? What I mean by "even" is like a good whole number with zeros. Like they wouldn't say climb maintain 9,000 meters would they? Cause that doesn't translate to anything good in feet.

ClarkGriswold

Non Nutritive Cereal Varnish Engineer
1800M->5900ft
5700M->18700ft
11300M->37100ft
Andddddd plot twist! They sometimes even assign flight levels in feet. We were changed to meters the other day then descended to a FL. Or leaving they’ll just give you a FL. You have a handy button, we have to use a chart. Still very easy.

mikecweb

Third Generation Arizonan
Andddddd plot twist! They sometimes even assign flight levels in feet. We were changed to meters the other day then descended to a FL. Or leaving they’ll just give you a FL. You have a handy button, we have to use a chart. Still very easy.
The process in the MD is such a cluster.

z987k

I don't think I've seen that outside of just about to transition to an FIR that doesn't use meters.
I could be wrong, but I assumed everyone used the chart, because using the button you can sometimes be off 100ft to what the agreed conversion is.