True story bro.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
“Everyone?”
Exactly.

I just sat there dumbfounded because I sort of presumed than an aircraft designed and manufactured in Europe would use metric... The nerve of 95% of the whole world to expect a mechanic in Florida to have a metric socket wrench. :) “See, man, should have went AMFA!”

launchpad

Had a mechanic on the same plane scratching his head because he had to go dig out SAE sockets....I guess consistency isn't Airbus' thing...

Toobdrvr

Estrellas Asesino
“So, you reeealy wanted to fix somethin, but instead, you have no choice but to defer it for someone else....gotit...”

trafficinsight

“Everyone?”
No one, in aviation anyway, except Europe.

We always had the same problem when we would work on Socatas. We never stocked metric so we would have to tell owners that they should purchase a supply of metric screws before their annual. Half the time we'd end up with an airplane some other shop had worked on where they forced standard screws into the metric nut plates so it was a weird mix of metric and stripped standard.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Personally, and I’m only a nerd on paper, but anything scientific should be metric.

I was watching the trailer for the new season of Star Trek Discovery and someone said something about an obstruction being 2000 feet in front of them.

I.

About.

LOST IT.

Der_Meister

I see your metric vs SAE debate and raise you.

NM vs KM vs Mile
A nautical mile is based on the circumference of the planet Earth. If you were to cut the Earth in half at the equator, you could pick up one of the halves and look at the equator as a circle. You could divide that circle into 360 degrees. You could then divide a degree into 60 minutes. A minute of arc on the planet Earth is 1 nautical mile. This unit of measurement is used by all nations for air and sea travel.
A knot is a unit of measure for speed. If you are traveling at a speed of 1 nautical mile per hour, you are said to be traveling at a speed of 1 knot.

A kilometer is also defined using the planet Earth as a standard of distance. If you were to take the Earth and cut it in half along a line passing from the North Pole through Paris, and then measure the distance of the curve running from the North Pole to the equator on that circle, and then divide that distance by 10,000, you would have the traditional unit for the kilometer as defined in 1791 by the French Academy of Sciences.
A nautical mile is 1,852 meters, or 1.852 kilometers. In the English measurement system, a nautical mile is 1.1508 miles, or 6,076 feet.
To travel around the Earth at the equator, you would have to travel (360 * 60) 21,600 nautical miles, 24,857 miles or 40,003 kilometers.

bLizZuE

Fly airplanes, drink beer, never at the same time.
I see your metric vs SAE debate and raise you.

NM vs KM vs Mile
A nautical mile is based on the circumference of the planet Earth. If you were to cut the Earth in half at the equator, you could pick up one of the halves and look at the equator as a circle. You could divide that circle into 360 degrees. You could then divide a degree into 60 minutes. A minute of arc on the planet Earth is 1 nautical mile. This unit of measurement is used by all nations for air and sea travel.
A knot is a unit of measure for speed. If you are traveling at a speed of 1 nautical mile per hour, you are said to be traveling at a speed of 1 knot.

A kilometer is also defined using the planet Earth as a standard of distance. If you were to take the Earth and cut it in half along a line passing from the North Pole through Paris, and then measure the distance of the curve running from the North Pole to the equator on that circle, and then divide that distance by 10,000, you would have the traditional unit for the kilometer as defined in 1791 by the French Academy of Sciences.
A nautical mile is 1,852 meters, or 1.852 kilometers. In the English measurement system, a nautical mile is 1.1508 miles, or 6,076 feet.
To travel around the Earth at the equator, you would have to travel (360 * 60) 21,600 nautical miles, 24,857 miles or 40,003 kilometers.
Thanks for the lesson. Always wondered why the small difference between statute and nautical miles.

Screaming_Emu

Dogsheep
Personally, and I’m only a nerd on paper, but anything scientific should be metric.

I was watching the trailer for the new season of Star Trek Discovery and someone said something about an obstruction being 2000 feet in front of them.

I.

About.

LOST IT.
One of my favorite things in aviation is getting a clearance in China that is “descend and maintain 900 meters, 2,000 feet per minute or greater.”

msmspilot

wait til they start building those a220s in Alabammer, left side of the airplane will end up 19mm the right 3/4in
Don't laugh too much. When the A220 lines are fully up and running in 2021, they say Mobile will be the 4th largest jet production facility for jets 100 seats and above in the world.