Trucker to Airline Pilot

srn121

This has been a year long saga, I have a tough schedule with work. I’m trying to get this PPL knocked out and decide how I’m gonna finish the rest of it. So that’s the reason for multiple instructors. I feel pretty confident with my flying though.
You may be pretty confident, but the instructor is the one signing you off and you need a sign-off from and a bad one might stretch it out a bit, not be confident in their abilities and pass rate and might want to be extra careful or just overly protective of their pass-rate. It's tough to tell in your position and I think most instructors might err on the side of an extra lesson or two to make sure, but I only have my instructor ratings and never signed anyone off for a checkride. I have heard of bad instructors who knew a student had money and really, really milked it as they needed flight time and money and it horrified me, but I wasn't a witness to it I just heard the amount of flight time they'd had and where they were in their training and how upset they were.

If you got along with the other instructor that left for another flight school it might actually be cheaper to fly at a school that charges more if their instructors are better as you'll need less time flying with them in the plane. Which area of the country are you in? Perhaps some folks here have some ideas or suggestions.

Last edited:

srn121

Also one more quiver in your bag when you go to management would be any records (emailed schedule reminders every flight school I flew with had) and the receipt which should I would imagine would be time-stamped.

srn121

Also I did give you bad advice as I went back and read your initial email as I didn't realize it was a solo CC and assumed he was hanging out on the ramp with a radio or in the tower or something as you flew in the pattern. For a solo cross country that sounds very strange and perhaps that's some flight school policy and if so maybe it's time to move on and if not it's time to get your money back.

nibake

Powder hound
Brief and debrief should be charged. As in the actual time that you are receiving ground instruction. Getting coffee and shooting the breeze doesn't count. If you were at the airport 2.5 and hobbs was 1.4 I would imagine you probably got somewhere in the ballpark of .8 to 1.0 of ground instruction. If the instructor wasn't doing a good brief and review of your preparation it may have been less than that. No way an instructor should be charging for all that time.

Freightshaker

I decided to move on, I'm with a career instructor now, I rent the airplane and pay him for his time. It's a little more affordable too. The chief pilot did get involved at the old school and made things right so I can't knock them for that. Hopefully this ends up being a better deal going forward. Thanks for all the advice.

TWP

I decided to move on, I'm with a career instructor now, I rent the airplane and pay him for his time. It's a little more affordable too. The chief pilot did get involved at the old school and made things right so I can't knock them for that. Hopefully this ends up being a better deal going forward. Thanks for all the advice.
Good choice. Flight instruction is too expensive and complicated to worry about any silly stuff. It should also be enjoyable to some extent.