Trucker to Airline Pilot

desertdog71

Girthy Member
Just curious, why?

With well over a decade here I see a common theme... person dreams of flying, joins JC, interacts a lot and pulls info, gains networking contacts, gets starter job, gets career job, stops JC. I remember when you joined and I enjoyed watching your journey and now that you’ve gained success, people, like the OP here, could certainly use your help.

We’re you wronged here in some way?
I was told about this thread by another member and its why I responded. Several folks here know how to contact me, and many people have sought me out for different things over the years. I'm more than happy to help anyone who asks.

Freightshaker

Update:

I just wanted to check in with you guys/gals, it's been a crazy year in aviation with all of the accidents thus far. Currently I'm taking lessons out of KLHZ and training in a Cherokee 140. So far it's been a positive experience, it took me a bit to get landings down, but once it clicked it clicked. I started training on the 172 but switched to the Cherokee because it has better availability at my school. Right now I'm looking at soloing very soon. The only thing I have to do is make a visit to the AME, which I plan on making an appointment this week. I just had a medical for work, but I've got to set some cash aside for my flight physical. It's been tough getting lessons in, with weather systems rolling through the carolinas every weekend, but I seem to to be retaining things OK when I can't get them in. I've been browsing the forums here and I've been hitting the books, it's nice to finally be making progress. I appreciate the community and the information here on this site, it's been a big help keeping me motivated and moving along with my training. I'll make sure to keep this thread updated as I move forward.

Dan

Oxman

Damn! that must have been hell , especially crossing the bridges and tunnels during rush hour , I drove a cab in Manhattan for 2008 to 2014 , now im working on my CPL :))
It had its moments. There were days that I came home with a tunnel vision migraine and easy days as well. But I was always dirty from loading and unloading boxes by hand from the street onto the truck. I got to see some unbelievable apartments on Park Ave and CPW. I made a delivery to Geraldo Rivera's office to deliver a painting. Cool group of people on his staff then. They gave me an $11 tip. And one day in the late 80's I made a delivery up way past 125th St. I was the only white guy for blocks. I walked into a local pizza place and you could hear the needle on the record scratch. Everyone looked up at me. A tall, skinny high school kid in torn jeans and a dirty white t-shirt. I walked to the counter and said I'll have 2 Jamaican beef patties and a coke. They put their head down and went back to eating. I've had a gun pulled on me on JFK when it was mob run as well. My fault, I was running my mouth back to some one on where I parked my big green box truck. I would bounce around from Queens, Brooklyn, LIC to Manhattan and back every day. Here I was 18 years old doing all that with out complaining and getting a sense of accomplishment for a hard days work done. The cargo docks of JFK were my daycare as a kid. Single mom. By the time I was 12 yo I was driving a fork lift loading freight onto trucks.

Last edited:

Mohand

It had its moments. There were days that I came home with a tunnel vision migraine and easy days as well. But I was always dirty from loading and unloading boxes by hand from the street onto the truck. I got to see some unbelievable apartments on Park Ave and CPW. I made a delivery to Geraldo Rivera's office to deliver a painting. Cool group of people on his staff then. They gave me an $11 tip. And one day in the late 80's I made a delivery up way past 125th St. I was the only white guy for blocks. I walked into a local pizza place and you could hear the needle on the record scratch. Everyone looked up at me. A tall, skinny high school kid in torn jeans and a dirty white t-shirt. I walked to the counter and said I'll have 2 Jamaican beef patties and a coke. They put their head down and went back to eating. I've had a gun pulled on me on JFK when it was mob run as well. My fault, I was running my mouth back to some one on where I parked my big green box truck. I would bounce around from Queens, Brooklyn, LIC to Manhattan and back every day. Here I was 18 years old doing all that with out complaining and getting a sense of accomplishment for a hard days work done. The cargo docks of JFK were my daycare as a kid. Single mom. By the time I was 12 yo I was driving a fork lift loading freight onto trucks.

View attachment 48303
Thats a Hell of a story ! you should write a book :) , driving a cab in the city was very hard , I got robbed about 15 times , twice at gunpoint , the last one broke the camels back ,in Long Island city queens , summer of 2014, I was shot in the leg , I swore not to ever drive a cab again !

Oxman

Thats a Hell of a story ! you should write a book :) , driving a cab in the city was very hard , I got robbed about 15 times , twice at gunpoint , the last one broke the camels back ,in Long Island city queens , summer of 2014, I was shot in the leg , I swore not to ever drive a cab again !
Believe it or not, there's a method to shooting someone in NYC. If it's in the leg, it's a message. If it's above the waist they're trying to kill you. I saw this a million times in Brooklyn.

Freightshaker

Update: October 5, 2019 I soloed In N12902 out of LHZ.

It's been slow going and I'm making progress. I've really only been able to fly once a week, so that's why it's taking so long. I've struggled with some of the aeronautical knowledge and airspace stuff, but I finally got all that down. That hardest part so far for me has just been the studying and trying to find time do it while working 60-70 hours a week. I've learned the main thing is just to stick to it and push through. I don't post here often, but I'm on this forum daily trying to read and learn as much I can. The people here a great and I want to thank you guys for helping me stay motivated through my training!!