Tool storage and organization

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
Kind of a slow last couple of weeks at work. The only aircraft work I did was replace a LH outboard windshield on a UH-60L, replace a LH upper window ("greenhouse window") on a UH-60M, and fabricate some shims so I could adjust a cargo door latch for a HH-60M.
So, I had some time to make a few things to improve my toolbox...

Small box for my microstop and an insert for the threaded piloted countersinks:
IMG_20180316_141251.jpg

IMG_20180316_134622.jpg

I can take the threaded piloted countersinks out for convenience if I want to. The two cut-off threaded drill bits on the end are just plugging the extra holes. They will get removed if I get more piloted countersinks. I have a row of standard 1/2" and a row of sliim 3/8".
IMG_20180316_140457.jpg

Small box for the small diamond files:
IMG_20180316_140305.jpg

The pockets each have a small piece of foam to firmly hold the file handles:
IMG_20180316_140042.jpg

Unibit rack:
IMG_20180316_141646.jpg

The 10-32 screws are threaded into the top plate, and the screw heads serve as feet. I cut 3/8" tubing down to 0.5" pieces to use as spacers. There are holes in both pieces (top and bottom) for the Unibit shanks:
IMG_20180316_141500.jpg

Rack for my countersink bits:
IMG_20180316_141225.jpg

It's very similar to my Unibit rack design, but I had to add a bottom plate because some of the countersinks had longer shanks:
IMG_20180316_141054.jpg

IMG_20180316_140544.jpg

Last edited:

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
I also decided to store my drill bits vertically to minimize their footprint, so I found some tooling tubes, labeled them, and made a little rack:
IMG_20180316_152045.jpg

IMG_20180316_152014.jpg

Plata

You’ve got some handy creations there. It’s great to have access to the right fabrication tools and the time and space to use them.

Do you ever get up to Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson? There’s a guy near JBER who is similarly inclined: you’d enjoy seeing the ingenious tools he comes up with to solve specific aircraft fab/repair tasks.

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
Thanks everybody. Glad you appreciate them. :)
I'm sure there will be more.
Here's a link to a JC thread I made a couple of years ago for Cleco storage:
Cleco storage ideas

@Plata I'm in Michigan and haven't been to JBER yet. I was planning on taking a stack of resumes and going on vacation to AK in 2020, but it's beginning to look like I might be "unavailable" that year, so I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to move my AK trip up to 2019, or if I should just wait until I get back in 2021.

Last edited:

Plata

Thanks everybody. Glad you appreciate them. :)
I'm sure there will be more.
Here's a link to a JC thread I made a couple of years ago for Cleco storage:
Cleco storage ideas

@Plata I'm in Michigan and haven't been to JBER yet. I was planning on taking a stack of resumes and going on vacation to AK in 2020, but it's beginning to look like I might be "unavailable" that year, so I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to move my AK trip up to 2019, or if I should just wait until I get back in 2021.
In AK good wrenches are in big demand, both in the bush and in ANC, FAI, and Southeast. Sheet metal guys, particularly really good ones, can always find work in the rebuild shops. You can get to AK for cheap in the shoulder seasons (April-May and Sept-Oct), but airline tickets, hotel rooms, and rental cars get mighty spendy in the summer. Move your trip to 2019 so you can gage whether or not it’s for you. Then when you come back in 2021 you’ll have a clearer picture of what you want to do. Oh, by the way, AK is awesome.

Loving this thread, as a military mechanic, I have come to realize I am a little OCD when it come to my tools. When I finally complete it, I will share my basic line box I am putting together. It will by no means be my permanent or full time box, it will be something I can throw in the truck or on a flight and walk into a job with the basic tools and start on day one if needed.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Loving this thread, as a military mechanic, I have come to realize I am a little OCD when it come to my tools. When I finally complete it, I will share my basic line box I am putting together. It will by no means be my permanent or full time box, it will be something I can throw in the truck or on a flight and walk into a job with the basic tools and start on day one if needed.
My road box was a Pelican case like this, Pelican Air 1615 Case without Foam - Black from Pelican-Case.com . I never had everything I needed and it weighed about 200 lbs fully loaded. I used to Fedex it to whichever job I was headed to. I also had a Pelican case for my laptop, printer, scanner and other "office" stuff that I would just check as baggage rather than having to drag it all over the airports. And I also had a large suitcase for clothes, toiletries and what not. After a few years of that nonsense I got fed up and stopped traveling for work.

I acquired an old pelican 1610 that was getting thrown out because the slide handle was broken in half. It’s the same box we use at my current job. Ours have 4 removable foam trays/pallets holding the tools nice and organized. Unfortunately the foam pallets that we use cost almost, if not more than the box itself. I am experimenting with my own custom build foam pallets that are more than half the price of the pre fab ones.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I acquired an old pelican 1610 that was getting thrown out because the slide handle was broken in half. It’s the same box we use at my current job. Ours have 4 removable foam trays/pallets holding the tools nice and organized. Unfortunately the foam pallets that we use cost almost, if not more than the box itself. I am experimenting with my own custom build foam pallets that are more than half the price of the pre fab ones.
I used to just use little cloth job bags that I picked up from harbor freight to hold and organize hand tools in the case. I don't like those trays, they take up extra space especially when you unload. You should be able to replace the handle assembly pretty easily, I'd bet if you contacted Pelican they'd probably replace it no questions asked. Pelican has, in my experience, always stood behind their product. I've thought about buying their luggage for my personal use but my old stuff hasn't broken yet.

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
For my 12" drill bits and my 6" drill bits, I cut pieces of tubing that was being scrapped, then put caps on them and labeled them.
The rack itself is just a piece of Aluminum with some clips riveted to both sides to hold the tubes.
Storing them vertically like this keeps them organized and minimizes their footprint in the drawer.

IMG_20180807_074052.jpg

IMG_20180807_073706.jpg

IMG_20180807_074611.jpg

Last edited:

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
Get more T700 experience. We should have quite a few T700 Field Rep Slots opening by 1Q 2019. Several new customers coming on board (Qatar in my region) as well as some FSR slots in countries previously using one of our regional rovers (Likely Egypt and UAE in my region, but more in Asia and Americas) :)
Great (weird?) timing! I'm getting a new boss. My old one was a "no" man. He would deny every request for anything. The guy who I'm hoping takes his place is the opposite.
I've been wanting to go to the GE T700/701 school for years, but no way to get there. Maybe I have a chance now.