1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To MEDEVAC, or not to MEDEVAC, that is the question.

Discussion in 'MedEvac' started by deadstick, May 12, 2017.

1. deadstick

deadstick Well-Known Member

To those who Earn Money Sleeping,

1) What's your company's policy on filing status MEDEVAC?
    2) Does it jive with 4-2-4(b) and JO 7110-65W?
    3) Are you shielded from patient information? If so, what's your impression of the all caps portion of paragraph 3 under 4-2-4 and the CAMTS.

NOTE: This is not intended to be a discussion of "The AIM isn't regulatory."

2. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

If I am going to pick up a patient, medevac. If I have a patient on board, medevac. Else I'm just another GA airplane out tooling around.

Itchy, hotice and gotWXdagain like this.
  3. gotWXdagain

gotWXdagain Highly Visible Member

I'm going with what @ppragman said but the other, and I think more technically correct way unless company policy precludes it, is to use HOSP instead of MEDEVAC on the empty leg en-route to patient pickup, ex "HOSP-12345."

Otherwise on the ride home it's just garden variety N12345, unless I get a diversion to another pickup while en-route, at which point I'll advise ATC to change my callsign back to MEDEVAC-12345.

bigD1031 likes this.
  4. Rudabega

Rudabega Well-Known Member

ppragman is right on. I've never used HOSP, I will have to read up on it. Both EMS places I have worked have shielded me from patient info. It does slip from time to time but by that time the decision has been made. You will see the patient us close and personal though. Mostly just loading and unloading but they aren't all pretty.

5. gotWXdagain

And some smells never go away.

6. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

I burned the crap out of my nosehairs about 13 years ago or so in a highschool welding class. That's actually come in handy more than once in this career.

The only smell that's really gotten to me was from an individual who was burned by a very delicious type of food that boiled over and sprayed boiling hot glazing sauce all over the person (I'm obfuscating here a bit, but you get the picture). The person was messed up pretty bad from the burns, but the juxtaposition of an incredibly delicious smell with a horrifying visage of extremely bad burns was worse than any nasty GI bleed I ever smelled, and means I still can't eat it.

7. deadstick

This is what I've done for years.

All this came up when a pilot and former ATC guy pointed out those references in #2 of the first post. I'm still curious about point in #3.

We (still) do so many routine transfers, and I have been 1 of 3 L/ aircraft converging on the same airport.

4-2-4(b)(3)
    "IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE COMPANY/PILOT DETERMINE, BY THE NATURE/URGENCY OF THE SPECIFIC MEDICAL CARGO, IF PRIORITY ATC ASSISTANCE IS REQUIRED."

8. USMCmech

USMCmech Well-Known Member

At our operation, we do not have a medical crew standing by for the airplane. If we have enough time we will call in the on call med crew, but sometimes we steal one of the helicopter med crews. Since that base is down until I get them their medics back, I will use Medevac on the empty homebound leg.

9. gotWXdagain

That just sounds like your company is asking you to gum up the ATC system to cover for its lack of proper staffing.

10. A150K

A150K Well-Known Member

I don't even have to be told if we're flying someone because of a GI bleed...I just know by smell.

11. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

"Oh - that smells like poo, death, and alcohol poisoning, I guess we've got another GI bleed. Anyone have any Vicks?"

A150K likes this.
  12. A150K

A150K Well-Known Member

We get enough of those off the rez that I carry a small tub of Vicks in one of my flight suit pockets...

13. gotWXdagain

Vicks and aviators oxygen are a bad combo...

14. NickH

NickH Dank Meme

Risk of severe facial burns and potential death balanced against enduring the smell for an hour. Tough one.

Just remember, chaps, smells are particulate. If you are smelling something, you are inhaling chunks of it. Enyoy!

15. deadstick

I've said that about flatulence for years. Chunks, although small, get stuck on/in your teeth.

16. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

Right...it seriously is. At a certain point some of the odors could be come a...dare I say it...a safety hazard for how distracting they are. Personally, I set the King Air vents to open and blow directly on my face with the fan on high 100% of the time. Works good lasts a long time!

17. deadstick

No kidding. Works pretty well.

18. A150K

A150K Well-Known Member

I find closing the cockpit door in some situations helps shield odors too....