Tips & Tricks of the Trade

Quarryman

I hadn't realized just where in my anatomy my character was located.

A Texas relative swore by Wolf's Chili. I became an adoptive Texan on first bite.

Chili is like barbeque: It's whatcha grew up with, wet vs dry, mustard vs catsup, pork vs beef, etc.
To the uninitiated, chili can be dangerous. Once it begins to percolate like coffee in a coffee maker and the rumble before the storm begins, there is no going back. And, when that moment of truth arrives as you feel the bead of sweat on your forehead and your back snaps as your sphincter muscles tighten from the explosive decompression, you are thankful that you're not anywhere near the controls of an airplane.

SFLAX

These tips may not help the 121 crews, but is rather for the 91/135 crowd. Use a points & loyalty service such as Award Wallet to track all loyalty program points. Award Wallet will advise you of expiring points or upcoming promotions you may want to participate in. Also The Points Guy is worth keeping up with. TPG can also help you determine which credit card or mileage program is best suited for your travel.

The Points Guy has tips on how to parlay one program with another. Such as Platinum at Marriott will get you silver status on United. If you're not Platinum at Marriott you can request a challenge to obtain status. Something like eight nights in three months and you'll be awarded a higher status tier.
Platinum gets you gold status now, for the next 3 months.

SFLAX

Yes, all the time, I got an email that I would get silver for awhile if I booked a flight with in 2 weeks and a Marriott hotel. It used to be silver all the time.

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member
Thanks! Is there an option to turn on so I can edit the original post to add everyone's tips?
Unfortunately there is not once the time limit for editing has passed

But,,,,,if you want to compile some information and pm to me I can go back in and edit the original list....There is no time limit for a mod/admin to edit. just let me know.

tomokc

I'm more of a news & music guy, so I travel with an Amazon Echo Dot. It's the size of a hockey puck, links to my Pandora & Sirius XM stations, plays rain, surf & white noise sounds, and it has great timers & alarms.

drunkenbeagle

Gang Member
Award Wallet will advise you of expiring points or upcoming promotions you may want to participate in. Also The Points Guy is worth keeping up with. TPG can also help you determine which credit card or mileage program is best suited for your travel.
Would take the recommendations with a large grain of salt, as they are biased towards the credit cards that pay the best referral fees. The Amex Platinum is by far the most useful card for frequent travelers. At least for the for the 91/135 side here.

There is another website, flyertalk, that has pretty good advice, much like this one.

texas_pilot

I hadn't realized just where in my anatomy my character was located.

A Texas relative swore by Wolf's Chili. I became an adoptive Texan on first bite.

Chili is like barbeque: It's whatcha grew up with, wet vs dry, mustard vs catsup, pork vs beef, etc.
I grew up on Wolf brand, quit Smokin and haven't touched it since.

av8tr1

"Never tell me the odds!"
Microwave mug meals.

https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/microwave-mug-meals/

Since I found the future former Ms Av8tr1 "Gemma" and Sistemaware I've been eating very well out of a microwave.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP30SWE/ref=asc_df_B00DP30SWE5063251/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00DP30SWE&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198079362228&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6230435828987404718&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=2840&hvtargid=pla-357214301004

As I write this I have cooking in the microwave a mug meal pizza and for breakfast tomorrow I will have a mug meal doughnut. Cost me $1.50 for a small bag of flour, 3 bucks for cheese I can eat, $1 for a bottle of marinara, $1.75 for Italian seasoning, $1 for a bag of sugar, and $2.50 for a bottle of grape jelly. That's $11 with tax for pizza and jelly doughnuts 2 days in a row. Another 5 bucks for salads for lunch and I'm eating pretty good on the road.

Galaitoto

I don't watch TV, but I play games. I would love to set my PS4 on the hotel WIFI to play online, but the hotels always have some sort of block. Anyone know a way to get online working ?