1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips & Tricks of the Trade

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by bike21, Jun 18, 2017.

1. bike21

bike21 Somewhat Known Member

I've been in the 121 biz for over a decade now and have learned much from my fellow cohorts in terms of life, travel, packing tips etc. Figured a thread (sticky if useful) on helpful tips, accessories, etc. from packing to tech things we all enjoy could be handy.

So submit your ideas on this thread and we can collect the best into this initial post. I'll get the ball rolling...

Packing & Clothes
    • Roll your clothes for better utilization of space in your suitcase
    • Toss your wrinkly shirts/pants on a hangar while you shower to knock down wrinkles - then iron as necessary
    • Toss a dryer sheet in your bag to keep things fresh
    • Throw some travel laundry detergent sheets in your bag for washing items in the sink for long trips // Sea to Summit Laundry Wash
    Tech Gadgets
    Useful Websites
    • JetCareers (duh)
    Hotel Room Hacks
    • Use the clips from a pants hangar to hold the curtain together to keep light out
    • If you prefer a constant fan for white noise while sleeping and your AC unit doesn't seem to have it - look up the unit on the internet for its maintenance mode. Easy for most to 'hack' it for the night. // Examples here

You get the idea, this will be a work in progress if it gains traction so share away.

2. JEP

JEP BadMamaJama Staff Member

Stickied as requested

bike21 likes this.
  3. Bonanzaman

Bonanzaman Well-Known Member

As far as "tech" goes I bring a chromecast on the road with me to watch HBO, Netflix, Hulu, or Google Play on the tv instead of holding up my iPad. You can't connect it to the hotel wifi, but if you have the data you can use your phone as a wireless hotspot.

4. tattooguy21

tattooguy21 Well-Known Member

I recommend a hacked Amazon firestick from eBay. Not familiar? Google and be amazed.

Callia, av8tr1 and BCTAv8r like this.
  5. drunkenbeagle

drunkenbeagle Gang Member

I have a few to add, after 15 years of more or less living in hotels:
    • The one-to-three outlet power adapters you can find in hardware stores are really useful. Leave one attached to your Anker multi-usb charger or laptop charger. There are almost never enough outlets in hotel rooms. It also turns one international power plug adapter into 3.
    • I've become a big fan of packing cubes over the years. These are thin, small zippered bags. Roll up clothes as usual, and then pack them in these things. Bag stays organized, you know what is clean and what isn't. Subsequent packing events every day then take a few seconds.
    • Buy foam disposable earplugs in the the bulk boxes, I like the Howard Leight ones. Keep a handful in every bag you have.
    • The Woolite individual use packets take up almost no space in a suitcase. Neither do sink stoppers, so keep a few in your bag. (I usually send laundry out on longer trips, but my employer pays for it).
    • Set up a VPN back to the US. Don't use a commercial VPN service - it will be blocked anywhere you actually need it. Change your home internet router to one that uses dd-wrt, and configure OpenVPN on it. Set your phone, tablet, and any other device you have to be able to use it. This is a kind of complicated thing to do if you aren't technically inclined, so find someone to do it for you if necessary.
    • T-mobile's international free data makes it a no-brainer to have if you ever do international trips.

6. wheelsup

wheelsup Well-Known Member

There's nothing to "hack", you just download the programs needed onto a regular Firestick. I did it in my hotel room even.

7. tattooguy21

Just recommended for less tech savvy. Most of my co-workers are backed at the idea of mobile anything, other than cell phones.

wheelsup likes this.
  8. bucksmith

bucksmith Did you lock the doors?

HDMI cable to connect laptop to the big screen.

How bout tips and tricks for us corporate guys? I always thought a best restaurants and hotels thread would be cool. Actually, always wanted an app that I could plug the airport into and get real restaurant and hotel reviews and comments from fellow pilots.
    Does it exist? Could it be done on JC?

9. tattooguy21

While not pilot centric, I've always been a fan of yelp. I know, not ground breaking, but works for damn near every situation

WMostellar likes this.
  10. bucksmith

bucksmith Did you lock the doors?

I've lost faith in any for-profit review sites. There's an interesting documentary floating around about yelp and its habit of suppressing bad reviews in exchange for advertising deals. Then there's the myriad of fake reviews from competitors and brothers and uncles.
    If we had something on JC, not necessarily a thread, but another "feature" that could do it, we could have a really great resource. Hmmm, maybe I need to talk to @Derg about improving my volunteer work column on the ol' resume.

SMR and Boris Badenov like this.
  11. PropSettin'

PropSettin' Low n Slow

10-foot usb charging cord from ebay. Lifesaver.

Food Network app for where to eat. Currently on a mission to eat at every Diners, Drives, Dives spot in Mmerica.

tcco94, Adler and bucksmith like this.
  12. bike21

bike21 Somewhat Known Member

Solid stuff here thanks for the contributions - I'm in the middle of a home reno so it will take me some time to catch up and get it one place. Keep'm coming.

@PropSettin' I have a 6' cable that is key too. Very handy.

13. killbilly

killbilly Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens

Some good stuff posted already - like @drunkenbeagle, I've got a couple decades of business travel. Most of what I'd write is already posted, but here's a few more:

• I always walk to a local hotel if I'm having a problem finding a taxi - can always get one at the nicer places.
    • I've become a disciple of Duluth Trading Company firehose flex khakis. Durable, stain resistant, and de-wrinkle easy.
    • I tip hotel maids $2-3 per day I'm there. It's good karma.
    • Since Marriott and Starwood have merged, I've shifted to a Marriott Rewards credit card. Points are terrific.
    • Always use a hand towel between the iron and your shirt if the iron does not appear to be brand-new.
    • I tend to eat half-portions on the road, and I eat minimal carbs - your mileage may vary, but this works for me and helps me feel better. Going half-portions also usually cuts down your sodium intake. @Derg mentioned probiotics in another thread - not a bad idea, especially as you get older.
    • Resistance bands take up VERY little space in the bag - neither does a door hinge loop for them - and you can get an excellent workout with these.
    • Learn how to sew a button and carry a small sewing kit in your bag. Spare shoelaces, too, if you wear laceups.
    • ANYTHING made of merino wool resists odors and stains an order of magnitude better than cotton. Especially merino wool socks and t-shirts if you can find them. Seriously. Merino wool is the greatest thing to happen to anyone who travels, ever.
    • Never accept a rental car without doing the walk-around.

JustinS, Quarryman, SMR and 5 others like this.
  14. drunkenbeagle

Second on the merino wool. except I like in Florida and no long wear socks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adler likes this.
  15. killbilly

killbilly Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens

I have to go to SRQ tomorrow, actually, but it's business and thus, closed-toe shoes and socks required. I'd like to be one of those guys who can wear some shoes without socks by my feet sweat and the stink becomes mighty....

16. drunkenbeagle

Eh, well, let me know if you want to grab lunch or airport drinks or something.

17. inventor

inventor Well-Known Member

My lowly contributions are...

Anker...yes...anything Anker.

Roku is great for TV also, and the app for your phone, tablet, laptop, will be both remote and mirror your device to the TV if wanted. Right out of the box.

Some 10 ft USB cords will not adequately transfer data, and most will not speed charge.

Ziplock FREEZER double seal gallon, quart, and sandwich sized bags. Put anything liquid, or can become liquid, that can open even if solid. Toothbrushes, deodorant, Woolite packs, everything.

Everything on God's green Earth comes in travel size and can be bought by the case. Which puts the per use cost close to normal retail sizes. Ketchup pack sized single use and larger, deodorant, detergent, lotion, anti-itch, cortizone...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    SMR and drunkenbeagle like this.
  18. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I thought
    use takeout / delivered.

any reviews for this site.

https://www.grubhub.com/ ?

"Grubhub helps you find and order food from wherever you are. How it works: you type in an address, we tell you the restaurants that deliver to that locale as well as showing you droves of pickup restaurants near you. Want to be more specific? Search by cuisine, restaurant name or menu item. We'll filter your results accordingly. When you find what you're looking for, you can place your order online or by phone, free of charge. Oh, and we also give you access to reviews, coupons, special deals and a 24/7 customer care team that tracks each order and makes sure you get exactly what you want."

19. ian

ian Well-Known Member

splurge for custom earplugs....

amorris311 likes this.
  20. kaudbron

kaudbron Well-Known Member

Take the plastic bag used for ice, and use it as a TV remote
    condom.

tcco94, Adler, bLizZuE and 5 others like this.