This is why...

sorrygottarunway

Eventful day, this is why you don't usually fly your C152 into Airmet Tangos.

Don't worry, I'm back home safe and sound. I wish I could have gotten a photo of the two A-10s that buzzed me north of Reading, PA though. Some good VFR flight following did me:

"uhhh, approach, what fighter aircraft has 2 round nacelles above and behind the wing?"

"Cessna 784, that would be the 2 A-10s that just passed you to your 12 o'clock. Not a factor."

"Approach, verify I am radar contact for traffic advisories?"

"784 Affirmative"

"Then why wasn't that traffic called"

"784 believe me, they saw you"

MIKE D?????
ok I know he's not here. I just thought of him afterwards.

chperplt

[ QUOTE ]
"Approach, verify I am radar contact for traffic advisories

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not guaranteed traffic advisories when you are VFR, even if you are "radar contact." ATC will provide them, free of charge, time permitting. His #1 priority is IFR traffic.

DanTheMan

Can't depend on VFR flight following to spot all traffic. Its just another extra set of eyes, but you're on the bottom of their priority list.

mtsu_av8er

[ QUOTE ]
I must be missing something, what's up with the instrument panel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Airmet "T" = bumpalicious!!!!

mastermags

Well-Known Member *giggity*
Ok, i get it now, I wasnt really paying attention to the bluriness so much as the readings!

sorrygottarunway

[ QUOTE ]
Can't depend on VFR flight following to spot all traffic. Its just another extra set of eyes, but you're on the bottom of their priority list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but I just found it a bit strange that with the thousands of advisories I had been getting over the past hour, she didn't mention the one bit of traffic that was about to buzz me (and I am talking within 1000ft altitude and 1 mile, and FAST.) Just freaked me out a bit... then, when she said she had the traffic, and "they saw you..." I just found it a bit... arrogant? Dangerous? I saw the spots in the distance, but they flew by so fast (I would guess not more than 250kts, I was at 4500).

Oh well, this is why I am going IFR for all subsequent flights.

SUSPilot

Even IFR you probably would have been issued the traffic but when you are in VMC you are primarily responsible for separation.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
(and I am talking within 1000ft altitude and 1 mile, and FAST.) .

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on.....100' and a mile is almost no factor!